Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java GUI like VB

Options
  • 19-12-2005 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have written many web based applications for my company, using servlets and jsp's. But now we want to try something different, and start developing applications with a 'windows' look and feel to it. We could go the VB route, but would prefer to stay coding in Java.
    Have done one app in Swing, but found it very slow to develop and run.
    Anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

SWT

is probably the best performing java gui toolkit.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks Torak,
    I'll have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.swt-designer.com/

Check that out as well. there is a free version. They disable some stuff (for free version) but you can still manually add yourself and it will render it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I'd go with the pure java approach rather than SWT...

The idea of platform specific hooks is kinda strange for Java..

However if you are going the SWT route then make sure you build on top of the Eclipse Platform...

Matisse offers a brilliant way (in netbeans) to do WSIWIG form design etc..

I have build massively complex pure Swing UIs, and buy using pure Swing have been able to target many platforms not least the big three (from UI):

Windows
    Apple OSX
    Linux

Also Java 6 is coming round the corner (you can get the snapshots now) and this addresses what for me were the major Swing headaches.. some are:

-Integration with windows system tray
    -Early splash screen pop-up
    -The Gray Area Repaint issue (biggest for me)
    -Startup time (constantly improves)
    -Table (Sorting/Filtering... doing this by hand was horrible... JTable now provides better hooks)

-Alan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Or this? I have not used it myself but I have heard good reports.

Advertisement