Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7800GTX 512MB found!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

look forward to hearing your benches

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Inquitus wrote:
    Hmmmmm no due date it says now.......

These aren't for me, my bro is building this

2 x 7800GTX512MB (Watercooled)
    X2 4800+
    Extreme Prometia and Lian Li modded case
    DFI Lanparty Expert SLI Mobo
    OCZ Ram specifically for the DFI Lanparty
    XFI-Fatal1ty
    1000W Turbo-Cool 1KW
    (ultimate power) from Power PC and Cooling
    2 x 74GB Raptors
    500GB SataII Drive

Gonna cost upwards of 5 Large

rich bastard:( :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

why doesn't he use the money to move out of the small room and get his own place?;)

But yeah, i'm dead jealous....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Inquitus wrote:
    Hmmmmm no due date it says now.......

These aren't for me, my bro is building this

<silliness>

Gonna cost upwards of 5 Large

Goodness, some people have far more money than sense... It'll be worth a few hundred in a couple of years, you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

rsynnott wrote:
    Goodness, some people have far more money than sense... It'll be worth a few hundred in a couple of years, you know :)

years?

you mean months ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

rsynnott wrote:

nah.. sure in a years time it would be worth about 2000 id say.... though that is still quite a loss of money :)

gline wrote:
    nah.. sure in a years time it would be worth about 2000 id say.... though that is still quite a loss of money :)

Assuming that's correct, and I'm sceptical, that still works out to a cost of nearly 300 euro a month, which is MAD. Still, to each his own...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

rsynnott wrote:
    Assuming that's correct, and I'm sceptical, that still works out to a cost of nearly 300 euro a month, which is MAD. Still, to each his own...

Your maths is atrocious dude.

if it retains 2000 then it depreciates by 3000 over 24 or 36 months = a monthly deprc'n of 125 or 83

Inquitus wrote:

if it retains 2000 then it depreciates by 3000 over 24 or 36 months = a monthly deprc'n of 125 or 83

Please read the below carefully. 1 year.
    gline wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Inquitus wrote:

Hes a CS student, they LOVE math *shudder*

• Advertisement

Sry worldwide financial standards dictate that Comp Equip such as a laptop should Depreciate over 36 months normally.

Inquitus wrote:
    Sry worldwide financial standards dictate that Comp Equip such as a laptop should Depreciate over 36 months normally.

I'm sure they do for sensible office equipment. But what is the resale rate for a 5000euro 2Ghz P4 with state-of-the-art Geforce3 from three years ago (I'm guessing a bit here)? Is it 2000euro?

Dunno but generally computers lose bout half their value each year.

Dunno but generally computers lose bout half their value each year.

that sounds about right

True the high spec kit will die

but I am betting a Lian Li P61 modded case and an Extreme Prometea Phase Cooler will still be worth over a grand still in 3 years time.

The watercooling components will hold value, also the PSU.

It is only the GFX, Mobo and CPU (prob mem too) that are going to get hammered.....

Inqui

You realise that Intel is going to release a new range of far lower power chips soon? And that AMD can't afford to trail them on that for long? In two years, crazy cooling may become quite irrelevant.

rsynnott wrote:
    You realise that Intel is going to release a new range of far lower power chips soon? And that AMD can't afford to trail them on that for long? In two years, crazy cooling may become quite irrelevant.

Even low power chips like phase....take the dothan for instance

rsynnott wrote:
    No it will always be useful vhips will always output heat the less heat the higher the clock.

Inquitus wrote:

but I am betting a Lian Li P61 modded case and an Extreme Prometea Phase Cooler will still be worth over a grand still in 3 years time.

wrong... a used mach2 is not worth much mate, they need servicing after a few years sometimes and you need to buy new cpu kits for the new sockets that come out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Inquitus wrote:
    True the high spec kit will die

The watercooling components will hold value, also the PSU.

It is only the GFX, Mobo and CPU (prob mem too) that are going to get hammered.....

Inqui

Lol, the top half of your post describes non-Computer parts basically (Metal case, Fridge etc, tubing etc)! :p

Gline is right too, Ive had 3 Prommies (2x Mach1 and 1x MachII) and all have failed in one way or another. Have one right here with a broken temp sensor, the only repair place I found (extreme prometeia I think) want something like £150 + shipping to fix it (yes, pound sterling). Just not really worth that.

Matt

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote:
    Lol, the top half of your post describes non-Computer parts basically (Metal case, Fridge etc, tubing etc)! :p

Gline is right too, Ive had 3 Prommies (2x Mach1 and 1x MachII) and all have failed in one way or another. Have one right here with a broken temp sensor, the only repair place I found (extreme prometeia I think) want something like £150 + shipping to fix it (yes, pound sterling). Just not really worth that.

Matt

leaks can be common too, there is a lot to go wrong and their value decreases over time even if they are in perfect condition. Sure i picked up a vapo PE here for under 300 i think a good while ago and it was perfect, because that is all they are worth then (it was about 2-3years old)

Yeah a good ss will set you back bout 2k or so but is worth half that the second u use it

That Prometia Mach 2 lasted 6 years in the end fwiw! Just having a nostalgia trip trough the old threads! Back in the day when you could build a mad rig for not much more than one cutting edge gpu!

Advertisement