Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what is magick?

• 19-12-2005 1:16pm

what is the difference between it and ordinary magic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Could you first define "magic" for those of us who have no idea what the hell you're talking about?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

AfAIK, the difference is literally just the spelling. I think (and I probably read it here somewhere), Aleister Crowley first used the 'k' to distinguish between 'real' magic and the Paul Daniels kind.

cool!thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

stevenmu wrote:
    AfAIK, the difference is literally just the spelling. I think (and I probably read it here somewhere), Aleister Crowley first used the 'k' to distinguish between 'real' magic and the Paul Daniels kind.
    Well, more accurately, he revived the archaistic spelling. The word was most often spelt with the appendant 'k' before the language was standardised.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote:
    :confused: Sheesh! That is an awful Wikipedia entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was thinking that myself, really the wikipedia has certainly started to go down hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Thaedydal wrote:
    really the wikipedia has certainly started to go down hill.
    Well, I doubt that "magic with a K" is that important an article, and if you don't like it - change it. (the regular spelling also has an entry or two)

On the whole, there is nothing wrong with wikipedia.

Goodshape wrote:
    Well, I doubt that "magic with a K" is that important an article
    Well, precisely. If the article was remotely satisfactory, it would make clear quite how important "magic with a K" is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thaedydal wrote:
    I was thinking that myself, really the wikipedia has certainly started to go down hill.

Get Harry Potter on the case, he'll sort that article out.
    :v: :v: :v:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

the difference between the 2 is,magic relies on secret methods and gimmicks to achieve something vaguely meaningful and entertaining,whereas magick relies on gullible losers who'd like to thing they can achieve something in life(which they can't),via the power of reciting some inane gibberish,usually for a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dude, stop insulting people or you'll get banned. As I much as I'd like that to be a threat, its just a warning.

Advertisement