Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Broadband??

• 19-12-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

I know this has been asked probably a thousand times but am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Have had Eircom BB for the last 15 months with no problems. Am renting a house and there was always someone who wanted to use the phone in the house. But now there is no need for the phone as noone uses it anymore. We still want the broadband but it is working out at a costly 60 a month due to the phone line and broadband rental. Smart telecom seems to be the best option but the 12 month contract is a no go as I am moving in June. BT seems ok as well, but don't like the idea of having to pay the deposit and it seems as if they take a long time to get everything sorted. Other than that was wondering if anyone has opinions/options they would like to share. Cheers :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

BT would be your best option if it is short term. However you will have to cancel the Eircon one, wait for cancellation number, order BT, wait for stuff.

You could be better off sticking with Eircon until June. Moral: Don't use Eircon brand products. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

BT would be the lesser of 2 evils.
    You only have to cancel Eircom BB first if your changing to Smart.
    If you switch to BT, or any of the Eircom resellers, you only have to fill out the DTAF (DSL Transfer Authorisation Form) and BT will do the transfer. It's usually seamless with no down time. Then when thats complete ring Eircom and cancel the subscription or they'll keep billing you after the transfer.
    As for the deposit, just don't tell them your renting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

DON'T GO TO BT!!!,,,,read my posts for my experience with them,,,may be cheaper,,,but not worth it.
    I am no eircom fan..but will happily pay money for a stable service which i have now with eircom, stick with them, if you go with anyone else you might have a few months downtime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

DON'T GO TO BT!!!,,,,read my posts for my experience with them,,,may be cheaper,,,but not worth it.
    I am no eircom fan..but will happily pay money for a stable service which i have now with eircom, stick with them, if you go with anyone else you might have a few months downtime!!

Ditto, avoid BT like the plague!! I had to wait 4 months to get transferred only to be disconnected by mistake and now they tell me I must resubmit my order, all the while they are still billing me and see no problem with that.

Eircom caps put me off. UTV are a shower of sh*tes. Who else is there out there with a decent customer service??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

IBB have a free install and no contract offer but its **** , so **** I dont know why im telling you about it , Im sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You got cable TV ? If you an get NTL broadband get that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

i think if you read the boards you will get some infavour of provider X and as many voices against.
    From personal experience I was with Eircom for a year and switched to BT, no real hassle and I would add that kaizersoze comments are a fair summary, I had no downtime switching and to smooth the process I phoned the BT fold every couple of days to ensure everything was moving, now up and running a week with BT and all seems fine so far.
    BT if deffo the cheapest if you are stuck with DSL, their line rental, phone, BB package is good value, hopefully better value next year with increased in speed and limits

Advertisement