Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man dies playing the sport he loves

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Seem to be hearing more and more stories of people dying from playing their sports.. SCD (Sudden Cardiac Death) has been in the news a fair bit over the past while, especially with the tragic death of Cormac McAnallen and rugby player John Mc Call.
    There's been many calls for better first aid training, and possibly have defibrillators close-by... I'm pretty sure the Government has set up a task force this year looking into this.
    The best thing that probably can be done, is for all sports athletes, no matter what level, to make sure they get regular health check-ups and know how far to push themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not particulary related but similar, did anybody see James Morrisson getting knocked out during the Spurs/Boro match yesterday. God that was awful to see.
    The panic on the faces of the players as they were trying to get the medical staff on was horrible. Luckily enough a black eye and concussion was the worst of his injuries.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BaZmO* wrote:
    Not particulary related but similar, did anybody see James Morrisson getting knocked out during the Spurs/Boro match yesterday. God that was awful to see.
    The panic on the faces of the players as they were trying to get the medical staff on was horrible. Luckily enough a black eye and concussion was the worst of his injuries.

B.

yeah, he went down like a sack of spuds and was just lifeless.
    A few of the boro players seems to be trying to get him round... I wonder how many know first aid?
    Scary stuff at the time.... glad he's alright.
    If anything, it just makes divers/ those who feign injury look worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

And of course there was Miklos Feher, Hungarian international who died in the last minute of a game for Benfica last season.

http://web.interware.hu/admin1/Feher_Miklos_In_memoriam_By_Bentex.wmv

^A tribute video to him^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Sudden Death Syndrome is another name for it. It always saddens (and scares!) me to read these stories. There have been too many occurrances in recent times. Even the fit and apparently healthy are not exempt from risk.

Is it just me or does anyone else who plays indoor soccer regularly get a little worried by these stories?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And of course there was Miklos Feher, Hungarian international who died in the last minute of a game for Benfica last season.

^A tribute video to him^

That is one sad video. Really puts football in perspective.
    Ardent wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyone else who plays indoor soccer regularly get a little worried by these stories?

I play football for a team and anytime I hear one of these stories it certainly gets me thinking=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

BaZmO* wrote:

B.
    Yeah, when I saw it I immediately thought of the Confederation's Cup match a couple of years back when Marc Vivien Foe died. Thankfully he was okay.
    These stories are sad alright, I remember flicking over to Sky Sports News during the CC match that day, and the breaking news ticker said that Foe had died, I couldn't believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

This thing is happening to often these days. I play football so it is quite concerning hearing this news nearly evety few months now .

We need to do something about it and monthly health checks could be the way to go even if it does cost more money

Kingp35 wrote:
    That is one sad video. Really puts football in perspective.

Its incredible, one of the most moving things I've ever seen. The part where he gets booked and turns away from the referee is literally the moment before he collapses. His team-mates reactions are so upsetting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

sad to hear and it seems to be occurring more ofetn. These defribbrilators (sp?) should be in place for all sports clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Yeah, when I saw it I immediately thought of the Confederation's Cup match a couple of years back when Marc Vivien Foe died. Thankfully he was okay.

Dont know how you can consider mark vivien foe dying as being okay :)

yeah, i know what you meant, but it took me about 5 minutes to figure it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

MrJoeSoap wrote:

^A tribute video to him^
    Thats insanely emotional, nice tribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:

^A tribute video to him^
    I never heard about that. Sad story. Here's a few pics of players and manager crying:

http://www.geocities.com/zachtung/desespero.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/zachtung/camacho_chora.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/zachtung/jogadores.jpg

Benfica retired his jersey forever.
    Benfica's Hungarian striker Miklós Fehér suffered a heart attack Sunday just half a minute from the final whistle at Vitória de Guimarães. Benfica were defending a 1-0 lead and Fehér had just received a yellow card for impeding a throw-in when he crumpled to the ground on his back near the touchline. His Benfica team-mates rushed to him and turned him on his side to clear his airways - it looked as if he had swallowed his tongue. Almost immediately, the gravity of the situation became clear - horror was stamped on the faces of Fehér's helpless team-mates, staggering and wandering around near the prone body of Fehér, their hands to their heads or kneeling on the sodden turf, their heads bowed. Several of them wept openly. Benfica's Spanish coach António Camacho raced onto the pitch, despite the attempt to restrain him by the fourth official, and also began weeping as he realised at first hand the cruel truth. Vitória's players and staff tried to console them. The doctors of both clubs worked to revive the player.

Paramedics rushed on with resuscitation equipment, and an ambulance was backed onto the pitch. The jeers of Vitória fans, who had assumed it was a ruse to waste time, quickly turned to applause to complement the chants of "Miklós Fehér, Miklós Fehér" from the large Benfica contingent, in an effort to reanimate the player from a distance. Fehér was transported to the nearby Guimarães hospital. The other players trudged off, stunned and speechless. The remaining half-minute and the score were forgotten. Football naturally took a back seat to the unfolding tragedy.

Later in the evening, the Director of the hospital , Fausto Fernandes, officially announced that Féher had died: "Today at approximately 21.45, the footballer Miklós Fehér, 24, entered our emergency unit with cardio-respiratory failure. We immediately performed all emergency procedures (...) These continued until around approximately 23.10 but without success."

Miklós Fehér , an Hungarian international, just 24, had come on as sub on the hour of Sunday's SuperLiga game. His half-hit shot had been turned in by Fernando Aguiar in added time. In the final minute of the game, Fehér stopped Rogério Matías from taking a throw-in on the halfway line. He smiled ironically as the referee showed him a yellow card, he turned and ... inexplicably, bent forwards, hands on knees, and simply collapsed like a rag doll onto his back.

I remember vividly that the day after it happened, the Evening Herald had a photo of his body lying on the pitch. One of those images you just never forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I remember vividly that the day after it happened, the Evening Herald had a photo of his body lying on the pitch. One of those images you just never forget.

still have that photo if he hadnt of died id say ferguson would have bought foe, brilliant player, he would have sign but he broke his leg and ferguson left it than he died a year later could have been great!

Advertisement