Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi's and Taxi Ranks

Options
  • 19-12-2005 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

I was in town last Saturday doing a bit of Christmas Shopping and having left my car at home decided to get a taxi back there. I was fourth in the queue outside Dunnes when a taxi came along and stopped for someone way down the line (she wasn't even in the queue). Same happend again after a few minutes.

This time, I knocked on the drivers window to inform him that they were other people there before the people he had picked up but he insisted that he didn't see them and there is no queue system anyway (Even though there is a sign thats says "Head of queue"). I did eventually get a taxi home by jumping out in front of one that had no fare.

Now if this were the other way around and loads of taxis were waiting for fairs I am sure i would be told to go you now where if I tried to jump into the first taxi I saw.

Can anything be done about this and can they be forced to play by their own rules. Considering the amount of trouble they caused in the first instance with the City Council about setting up the rank for them there in Michael/Street/Arundel Lane/Lady Lane.

Has anyone else some horror stories to tell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at least there was taxis. was in Dungarvan on the weekend and the drivers down there dont use the taxi rank and will only answer the phone for certain people, ie. their friends. a ****ing joke tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If a taxi driver see's someone they know they will pick up them. Doesn't really bother me

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If a taxi driver see's someone they know they will pick up them. Doesn't really bother me

Surely thats no different to waiting you Q to get into a concert or cinema and the person at the door see's a friend of theirs so they leave them in ahead of the 20+ people Q'ing.
    This type of thing doesn't bother you?

Your abit strange you know that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ive recently made a policy with myself to never take a taxi unless absolutely necessary i.e Loss of a limb.

Taxi`s in this town make me sick , a different price everytime ya get in , and then 80% of the drivers have absolutely no manners.

Also that whole ignoring the queue thing like the OP is talking about , makes me sick! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Drives me mad that does :mad:

And another thing that gets on my nerves too is the way certan ranks only operate during certain times of the days without any signs up to state the times.
    Last saturday I was wandering past the taxi rank outside dunnes (at the bottom of patrick street) at about 2.30 in the morning, and there a bunch of poor feckers from out of town standing round there waiting for a taxi, had been standing there for about a half hour, and didnt have any idea where else to go to get a taxi because no where else had the taxi rank sign up. So I sent them off down into the carnage outside the clubs to the rank down there. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yea its absolutely Ridiculous , Like how the hell are people from outside of the town meant to know its a rank by day and not by night.

How are the taxi`s even regulated ?

My bf takes taxi`s when hes stuck to and from work only when hes very stuck mind and I cant remeber the last time he only had to pay the minimum town run charge from town up to the Industrial Estate.
    He seems to get charged a different rate every time Ranging from 6.20 up tp 9.50 , what the hell like??
    These are normal week days now and before night rates, absolutley ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Ranging from 6.20 up tp 9.50 , what the hell like??

Tell me about it - Taxi from WIT main campus out to ardkeen hospital ranging from 7 to 11 quid ? when they all take the exact same route, and it was the same company every time too. I think they just have a guess half the time.

More like chancing their arm.

Another major issue I have with the majority of taxi drivers is the pure ignorance of them , the last one I got was a good few months back now but the whole way home cursing under his breath and cursing and beeping at learner drivers, I mean for F`s sake its his job , if I was on the phone in work and cursed under my breath at a client , I wouldnt last too long in it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    More like chancing their arm.

Another major issue I have with the majority of taxi drivers is the pure ignorance of them , the last one I got was a good few months back now but the whole way home cursing under his breath and cursing and beeping at learner drivers, I mean for F`s sake its his job , if I was on the phone in work and cursed under my breath at a client , I wouldnt last too long in it.

You also fail to mention that the majority of them don’t even know how to wash themselves properly and how to keep the cars clean. There is a certain few Taxi drivers in this town that I will refuse to get into a car with.

Maybe someone could tell me, how in God's name someone with a criminal conviction manages to get a licence to drive Taxi's.

They also think that they have some divine right to our roads. They think that because they are driving all day and night the should be given the right of way the whole time, the same f***ers wouldn't give other road users the time of day.

The sooner this sector is properly regulated the better. I know of a few women around Waterford who will refuse to get into a taxi on their own after a night out. That is really bad for all the genuine driver out there.

just my 2cents worth guys and gals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

I used to live in Waterford and would use taxi's if I was running a bit late for work. As far as I can remember, I was always charged the same from town to AO-HELL. They all seemed grand to me, very nice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Yea its absolutely Ridiculous , Like how the hell are people from outside of the town meant to know its a rank by day and not by night.

How are the taxi`s even regulated ?

My bf takes taxi`s when hes stuck to and from work only when hes very stuck mind and I cant remeber the last time he only had to pay the minimum town run charge from town up to the Industrial Estate.
    He seems to get charged a different rate every time Ranging from 6.20 up tp 9.50 , what the hell like??
    I thought that they are all metered in Waterford? If so some one must be fiddling the meter. Report them to the city council/gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Leonard wrote:
    You also fail to mention that the majority of them don’t even know how to wash themselves properly and how to keep the cars clean. There is a certain few Taxi drivers in this town that I will refuse to get into a car with.

Maybe someone could tell me, how in God's name someone with a criminal conviction manages to get a licence to drive Taxi's.

They also think that they have some divine right to our roads. They think that because they are driving all day and night the should be given the right of way the whole time, the same f***ers wouldn't give other road users the time of day.

The sooner this sector is properly regulated the better. I know of a few women around Waterford who will refuse to get into a taxi on their own after a night out. That is really bad for all the genuine driver out there.

just my 2cents worth guys and gals...
    Most of them are fat scumbags tbh I agree with you there Leonard but we're all glad to see them at half two in the morning when we need them , I think alcohol must impair our sense of smell as well because I can only smell their BO on the way into town but never on the way home!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What I really find funny is how all the taxi's have no smoking signs but yet you can smell the smoke the second you get into the car, if the signs are their not even the driver should be smoking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Taxi ranks are put in busy places. Taxis are supposed to pick up the person at the top of the queue; if they don't then it's a free for all and madness ensues. In Dublin this is very strictly observed. Taxis don't pick people up off the street near taxi ranks, they only pick up from the ranks, (if there is one nearby) and they only take the person at the top of the queue. If some scumbag tries to hop in from the middle of the queue he gets kicked out.

It seems to me that officially this is probably the same in Waterford, but it isn't being enforced at all. Sounds like the sort of thing that a phone call to WLR might help sort.

I remember trying to get a taxi in Waterford in the early hours of the morning a few times a while back. There seems to be **** all taxis in Waterford working during the night and it's a total free for all unless you queue up outside the Rapid office. Nuts.

Also, I actually know of a guy that has done time for been involved in a bank robbery out in Tramore a few years back. If I am not mistaken, he was the get away driver. Whats he doing now? Yeah, you guessed it.... Driving Taxis in Waterford.

Surely you can't get a PSV licence with a criminal record? Are the Gardai aware of this?

Leonard wrote:
    Also, I actually know of a guy that has done time for been involved in a bank robbery out in Tramore a few years back. If I am not mistaken, he was the get away driver. Whats he doing now? Yeah, you guessed it.... Driving Taxis in Waterford.
    At least you know when you get in his taxi and shout GO ! GO! GO! you'll be home on time !

I am really pissed off with those f**kers now. Last night I ordered a taxi from Rapid Cabs, who I use whenever I need a cab. I ordered it for 8.15pm to take me from Rockshire Rd into city square (shopping centre in city centre). He arrived over at 8.10pm and blew his horn like a mad man outside the door. Eventually when I was ready to go it was 8.15pm. We got into the cab (hackney by the way) and told the driver that we were to pick up another couple in a house on the way out of the estate. He actually had to pass their house to go out of the estate anyway. The couple were waiting for us at this stage. With that we headed of into town. He drove in like a mad man complaining about people not been able to drive properly and also giving out that he had just spent €700 on his car this week.

Anyway he dropped us in town and when I asked him how much I owed him he said €11.00. I nearly had heart failure. €11 f**king euro. How did you come up with that I asked him? Well 6.50 for call after 8pm, 50c for each additional passenger, 1.50 for a pick-up, a pickup I asked, he charged me 1.50 for picking up a couple from a house we had to pass to leave the estate. The rest was for what he said the waiting time. The only waiting was him coming early for a change mind you. Robbing Bastard.

I asked the c*nt for his number which by the way he did not have displayed. He reluctantly gave it to me and I have since rang the taxi company to complain him. I am waiting on his boss to get back to me this morning. Will keep ye informed.

Leonard wrote:
    I am really pissed off with those f**kers now. Last night I ordered a taxi from Rapid Cabs, who I use whenever I need a cab. I ordered it for 8.15pm to take me from Rockshire Rd into city square (shopping centre in city centre). He arrived over at 8.10pm and blew his horn like a mad man outside the door. Eventually when I was ready to go it was 8.15pm. We got into the cab (hackney by the way) and told the driver that we were to pick up another couple in a house on the way out of the estate. He actually had to pass their house to go out of the estate anyway. The couple were waiting for us at this stage. With that we headed of into town. He drove in like a mad man complaining about people not been able to drive properly and also giving out that he had just spent €700 on his car this week.

Anyway he dropped us in town and when I asked him how much I owed him he said €11.00. I nearly had heart failure. €11 f**king euro. How did you come up with that I asked him? Well 6.50 for call after 8pm, 50c for each additional passenger, 1.50 for a pick-up, a pickup I asked, he charged me 1.50 for picking up a couple from a house we had to pass to leave the estate. The rest was for what he said the waiting time. The only waiting was him coming early for a change mind you. Robbing Bastard.

I asked the c*nt for his number which by the way he did not have displayed. He reluctantly gave it to me and I have since rang the taxi company to complain him. I am waiting on his boss to get back to me this morning. Will keep ye informed.

That's not on: good on you for complaining. It's a slippery slope with these fellas it seems. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Even if 10% of the people who feel ripped off start to complain then we might get somewhere..... They are also meant to use their metres which very few do...

It's time we stand up for our rights and improve the quality of service for everyone

• Advertisement

Who actually regulates these taxis? Is it the Gardai or the city council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I witnessed some of the most selfish arrogant driving from those taxis at the Dunnes Stores rank today. Im so tired of keeping a yellow box clear just so some clown in an old Carolla can scoot out and cut me off. I also dont understand why they have free licence to give other drivers abuse if they arent giving them right of way in every situation.

They seem to think just because they drive for a living they know the rules of the road better than everyone else

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well used to getting Taxis around Tramore, and sometimes in Waterford.

Use RapidCabs most time for Waterford City, and iv had very little hassle with them. Iv had very friendly drivers, who were all chat. One guy drove me all the way up to the top of the town complementary (the fair rises the further up town you go, so I asked to be dropped off down town but he insisted in dropping me to my DOOR! Without over-charging).

Although recently, I went to get the 6.30PM bus - arrived at the depo, bus was pulling of and refused to stop. So called a Taxi, waited... Never arrived. Called again, was told they were busy but he was supprised it never turned up and to wait. Waited till 7PM, didnt come, so I ****ed of home on the 7 Bus. Never called them, and they never called me.

I know how much the price is to get around town, and iv challanged drivers if they over-charge me. Never had to complain a taxi.

In Tramore, none of em are "brilliant". I use Tramore Cabs and Coast Cabs most of the time as I know the owners/drivers very well. Often come later then they say they will, iv only ever had to complain one girl at Coast Cabs because she was extremley rude to me on the phone when I asked for a taxi to Fenor. Her father (also a driver) apologised, aswel as another driver I said it to.

We are to get a Taxi-Rank soon I believe.. Its €5 to go anywhere in Tramore, and about €20 to go into town.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I know a guy who was involved with a taxi company a few years back. All the
    drivers who they dealt with were independents, they pay the company a few
    quid a week and the company gives them jobs. He told me on many an
    occassion after he finished up in that business that the scum of the earth
    can be found driving a taxi.

Most of the more established guys are fine, they have been working at
    it for years and complain a bit here and there but underneath it all they are
    ok.

But with deregulation and the cost of plates down to a few grand from what used to be a mortgage, so every tom, dick and harry in the town who thinks
    he can drive a car has bought a plate and most of them are the type of guy
    you wouldnt want to meet in a dark alleyway unless ya fancied a visit to the A&E!!!

He was telling me about the amount of times he and his family were
    threatened by drivers who were supposed to be doing business with his firm.
    I wouldnt blame him for walking away from it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 PoppyG

is there anyone on here that would be able to inform me of how much it would cost to go from dublin airport to dundalk? you see its the first time im not being picked up and if i miss my bus i want to be prepared for the price or a taxi! im hoping its not way over priced

PoppyG wrote:
    is there anyone on here that would be able to inform me of how much it would cost to go from dublin airport to dundalk? you see its the first time im not being picked up and if i miss my bus i want to be prepared for the price or a taxi! im hoping its not way over priced

Lots and lots. Not the way to go. Maybe 80-90 euro if you can find a taxi to take you. That's just a guess though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

Bond-007 wrote:
    Who actually regulates these taxis? Is it the Gardai or the city council?

If I am not mistaken it is the carriage office in Dublin castle.They may have some local rep.but I doubt it.If a Taxi driver ****s you over in any way this is who you go to including taximen ignoring queues.Like it was stated if you ignored their queue you could get anything from ****ed out of it,to a punch in the mouth.You will need their plate number and a witness would be good but not essential.Go to the cop shop in Ballybricken if in any doubt.But phone the cop shop.you will be waiting at the desk all night if you go in in person.Plus people mght think your a snitch:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've gotten taxi's a few times mind you it's after a night out the price does fluctuate between 6 & 8 euros and there is a policy of who ever is at the front of the cue gets it

I was practically tackled one night for being at the front of the cue by people who called the taxi half way up the street. The bloke that was with the girl ran down the street and push me away from the door telling me he was waiting longer than me little did he realise that standing in the doorway behind me was 2 garda who pulled him back and told him to stand in line and wait his turn... I had been standing there longer than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭col o

It sounds like a free for all.I'd say it is a lot to do with the amont of drink on board that our of the night.Waterford can be a scary place sometimes when half the town is pissed.It is a lot more claustriphobic compared to Dublin.A more extreme example is Wexford.I drove up the main st there with the lads after all the pubs closed once.This was before it was pedestrianised.Scary.

Advertisement