Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Dept Website Down?

Options
  • 19-12-2005 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to log onto the notes for my maths course which are on the maths.ucd.ie website instead of Blackboard but I keep getting a 'The page cannot be displayed' message.
    It's like this my friend too and it's not my internet connection (obviously) and there's no logging in or any of that jazz so it's not that.
    Precious notes, especially answers to stuff, are up there and I need them for the exam tomorrow.
    I don't think the Maths Dept secretary would be the best person to ask about this, so who should I contact?
    BTW, before people say isn't a bit late to start doing this, I do have about 90% of the notes downloaded but some stuff (the most important!) is only new and I've been busy studying for other things.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Just checked there... server timeout.
    You *could* ask the secretary, or send an email to your lecturer explaining that the site's down, and would he be nice enough to email you the notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

ha, ha :D

the computers dept did the same thing to their servers just last week, nuked them halfway through our exams - www.comp.ucd.ie was down

I can't decide if it's arrogance or ignorance - but sometimes UCD has worse managment than the team of coked up monkeys that DIT used when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

well in fairness the comp sci down time was announced well in advance. And it was a year over due.

my tip: never, ever rely on network/printers/etc to be working at the last minute. So do all the downloading/printing/etc well in advance. that way you won't get caught out.

One comp sci lecturer purposely takes his notes offline a week before the exam to force people to do jsut that... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I rang IT services who were very helpful. The guy sounded very concerned and took my details and called me back twice as he got info. Apparently the maths server started spamming people with up to 500 emails so had to be taken down. The guy who's in charge isn't in right now.
    So that's just wonderful! Luckily a friend of mine had downloaded stuff in advance and sent it to me. Phew...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

irlrobins wrote:
    well in fairness the comp sci down time was announced well in advance. And it was a year over due.

Ah come on now, yeah I read the email that was sent around ages before hand but there was just the one. Besides any two bit crack whore would have the cop on to do the work a month earlier or week later when the exams are finished - these guys are suppose to be intelligent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

well they did send a mail asking all comp sci staff if there was any reason for this work to be delayed (exams/project deadlines/etc). Presumably no member of staff objected so tehy went ahead. Blame the comp sci staff so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yeah i just noticed the maths site is down a minute ago...the one time i actually wanna use it...:mad:

Advertisement