Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Deleting all references to a program including registry files

• 19-12-2005 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

quick question:

I have to install programs to test and QA on my computers here in work and I am sick of having to keep reinstaling my Operating system image to ensure my computer is completly clear before each test pass (its an agreement with the client)

Is there a program (hopefully free or really cheap) that will remove the entire contents of the program including all registry changes?

This also a pain as i have to install multiple Operating systems in different languages depending on what project that I am working on.

Its really annoying as I cannot keep any personal files on my computers, they have to be ion disk or usb card.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Windows System Restore (shipped with XP) is exactly what you need. It will roll back the OS to the state it was in before you installed your software.

All Programs / Accessories / System Tools / System Restore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Completely clear - only way would be to re image it.

use Ghost (commercial per PC license)
    g4u / partimage (gnu - most linux live CD's)
    or something intermediate to do it

I'd reckon the client wants a clean sweep and system restore won't roll back documents / temp / files folders etc. Best to check if system restore will do or if they want more, remember the Golden Rule, the person with the Gold (client) makes the rules. You could split the drive and put the image on the second partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

unfortunetly i am testing with w2k not xp so i dont have that option. I think the image is the only way to go. damn!!!!

what about removing programs e.g. completly, i remember using dream_weaver 2 or 3 years ago for a project I was bidding for where they used dreamweaver to create it (templates, css etc). As i had no use for it except for this bid i downloaded the trial version (30 days) to see what it was like. I didnt get the bid so i didnt buy it, the thing i noticed that it installs a file so that it will only run on the machine for 30 days, even if you uninstall it and reinstall later it remembers that it was already installed on the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Dave Sully

dbyrne wrote:
    quick question:

I have to install programs to test and QA on my computers here in work and I am sick of having to keep reinstaling my Operating system image to ensure my computer is completly clear before each test pass (its an agreement with the client)

Is there a program (hopefully free or really cheap) that will remove the entire contents of the program including all registry changes?

This also a pain as i have to install multiple Operating systems in different languages depending on what project that I am working on.

Its really annoying as I cannot keep any personal files on my computers, they have to be ion disk or usb card.

Thanks in advance.

SImple solution to your problem:

VMware.

you can install as many OS`s you need within your own OS.

It makes a OS into something like a .iso file.

your current OS will be untouiched, and when your finished with your test OS, just delete it,

VMware will setup all your networkign as well, so you can map shares ect...

dog handy!

[MOD EDIT] NO warez torrent links please, banned for two weeks cause its Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Dave Sully wrote:
    SImple solution to your problem:

VMware.

you can install as many OS`s you need within your own OS.

It makes a OS into something like a .iso file.

your current OS will be untouiched, and when your finished with your test OS, just delete it,

VMware will setup all your networkign as well, so you can map shares ect...

dog handy!
    Recommend program: Good.
    Link to torrent: Banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you can also use PCI cards called magic cards,

These allow you to bootfrom a predefined image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Microsoft have their Virtual PC / Server line of products. Works pretty well.

One downside (on the cost front) with Virtual PC, and as far as I know, with VMWare too, you need to have a license for the OS running on virtual machines you are creating.

Advertisement