Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children's Lit.

Options
  • 19-12-2005 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey anyone doing children's lit. know what the deal is with the 'dummy exam' we were given? I heard (from somebody who heasrd from somebody ...) that although its not the actual exam paper it's not far from it, like the qs will be pretty much the same but rephrased? Anyone confirm this? Have no idea what I should be looking at, so was gonna attempt to do one of the qs on the sheet and learn it off but dunno if i should bother in case it doen't come up on wednesday...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭staple

I don't know anything about that rumour but just learning one answer sounds risky.
    You're better off getting to know the texts better and spending time rereading and making notes on them. Spending time writing out a full answer and then learning by heart could be very inefficient.
    Look at a question on the sample paper and jot down 8-10 points you'd make to answer the question. Think of examples in the texts you've read. Do that for a few of the questions. Those sample questions will tell you the _kinds_ of things you should be looking for so are useful.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Is the dummy exam online anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

No, there's nothing on children's lit online that I can find anyway. Basically qs are
    A
    1.Wizard of oz as american version of alice
    2.wizard of oz is and capitalism
    3.power of dreaming in tom's midnight garden
    4.implications of having a ghost from the present (rather than the past) iin Tom's midnight garden
    5.Harry P accepts adult burdens although he is only a child
    6. To what extent has JK succeeded in creating child hero who resists commodification
    7. HP is a last stand for childhood in a culture intent on destroying it.

They're the A qs, the B qs are mainly big long quotes which u are asked to discuss. . . none of them are too nice though!!!!

No, there's nothing on children's lit online that I can find anyway. Basically qs are
    A
    1.Wizard of oz as american version of alice
    2.wizard of oz is and capitalism
    3.power of dreaming in tom's midnight garden
    4.implications of having a ghost from the present (rather than the past) iin Tom's midnight garden
    5.Harry P accepts adult burdens although he is only a child
    6. To what extent has JK succeeded in creating child hero who resists commodification
    7. HP is a last stand for childhood in a culture intent on destroying it.

They're the A qs, the B qs are mainly big long quotes which u are asked to discuss. . . none of them are too nice though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

The paper we got is rotten, and the only question on the b section I was going do the "choose your own question" type thing isnt on it! Hopefully that rumour isnt true, hopefully.

• Advertisement

yeah i wish these lecturers would be more precise!!! That critical readings paper was sweet, why can't they all be like that!!!

Thanks a million, didn't really have a clue what to study for it. Have some guidelines at least now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

wasnt that bad really i did the first question about the wizard of oz and american self help and talked about the symbolism of the bimetalic debate in america in the early 1900's and the american dream as being achievable through self belief. then for question two i shíted on about the use of the raft in huck finn and hogworths in H.P. All in all a decent enough result for having read no books whatsoever i'd say:p

Went surprisingly well considering I couldn't bring myself to study at all really.

Did the one about H.P being a lament of lost childhood in section A and then Alice in Wonderland & Little Women for the one on adulthood being authoritive and unimaginitive for section B. Got pretty bored and left a little early though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭randombassist

was a good exam for me... it was the build-up that got me.... took my timetable down wrong and thought it was meant to start at 12! Thank god the invigilator was nice about it, gave me an extra 20 mins even though I arrived at 10 to 10. I've learnt from that anyway, will always triple check I've got it right from now on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement