Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Cancled - Return Modem ?

• 19-12-2005 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Now that I got my 3MB NTL, I said good bye to eircom today from being with them for close to 3 years now on B'band.

Anyway, When I cancled them today, They gave me an address and asked me to send back the modem ? Whaaaa... Im not paying to send of a big modem, Well tbh I just dont feel I have to to.

Should I send it off back to eircom or what. What did you's do when you's cancled you eircom if you have done so. Were you asked to send back ? I thought the modem Was given to me from Eircom. I didn't know I " rented " it from Eircom... :confused: Any Concequences you's think may occur if I dont return it ?

Thanks,

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Don't know about the consequences, but when I cancelled Digiwebs wireless service I had to send them back the router. AFAIK at no point do you actually own the modem, they rent it to you for the duration of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

no you shouldn't have to return it.... I had a arguement with eircom in september after being with them bout 18 months because my netopia router stopped working. I was under the impression i was renting it from them similar to the way the telephone equipment used to be rented but they assured me i was wrong and that they had no obligation to repair the modem (out of warranty) or replace it??? yet they were still going to charge me to use their service with no modem and charge me another €100 for a new modem....so i politely told them to put their charges and modems up their ****:mad: .

so as far as i know its YOUR equipment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Cancelled my eircom about 2 weeks back via a phone call, no mention of sending back modem, according to the small print you have to, but i had it for around 2 years, so i guess they only enfore it for ppl who cancel withing the first 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

They asked for me to send mine to some place too, I just said yes and never bothered and I have got my final bill and no charge.
    I just bluffed that their right hand did'nt know what their left hand was doing

:v:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

HungryJoey wrote:
    Hey all, Now that I got my 3MB NTL, I said good bye to eircom today from being with them for close to 3 years now on B'band.

Anyway, When I cancled them today, They gave me an address and asked me to send back the modem ? Whaaaa... Im not paying to send of a big modem, Well tbh I just dont feel I have to to.

Should I send it off back to eircom or what. What did you's do when you's cancled you eircom if you have done so. Were you asked to send back ? I thought the modem Was given to me from Eircom. I didn't know I " rented " it from Eircom... :confused: Any Concequences you's think may occur if I dont return it ?

Thanks,

Hj
    Hey listen, if you don't wanna send it back you can always sell it to me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I've still got my modem from UTV (I quit to join BT) and didn't get a bill for it or an address to send it anywhere. In fact, I don't think UTV even mentioned it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I just moved from Eir to BT and no modem going back from me, the equipment was on a free offer when I joined up a year ago so as far as I'm concerned tis mine, mine I say

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nyum Nyum wrote:
    I've still got my modem from UTV (I quit to join BT) and didn't get a bill for it or an address to send it anywhere. In fact, I don't think UTV even mentioned it.

UTV clearly state in their terms and conditions that it remains their property and they reserve the right to charge you a ridiculous amount if you dont return it so watch out for them doing a clean up one of these days!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I rang eircom on friday about cancelling in January and the lady on the phone never mentioned about sending the router back.

I took the offer in march which included a free wireless router. It did not say free for the duration / rent free / remain the property of eircom etc so I assume then it is mine.

However a friend of mine took a free trial but didnt stay past this and he had to send it back but thats a different circumstance ( also it was freepost to send back ).

Since its fairly locked down with eircom firmware though the other question is, is it any use if you go with another provider, such as can i link it to an ntl cable modem to get wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

dub45 wrote:
    UTV clearly state in their terms and conditions that it remains their property and they reserve the right to charge you a ridiculous amount if you dont return it so watch out for them doing a clean up one of these days!!!
    but just make sure that if they do try and charge you more than the market value of the router then refuse to pay as it is illegal to do so and no court will uphold such a request - it would be deemed an unfair term by the courts.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:

If it's their property then I shall be charging them for storage space of it :)

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i had eircom in my house for four months and after getting NTL i rang them and cancelled my line and broadband no problems at all and did not have to send the modem back. I am waiting for my final bill and after that i am selling the wireless router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

but as long as your are aware that you could be charged at any time. I think they have 2 years under the statuate of limitations for a "penalty" clause to recover the penalty or else if its not seen as a penalty then I think it 6 (its def at least 3 - cant rem exactly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I have five or six DSL routers (including a Cisco 827) around here from Eircom and various other companies. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last thing I heard from UTV was on 25th July:

"Hello Mr Nyum

Your account XXXXXX is now cancelled as per your request.

Thank you for using UTV Internet.

regards
    Aaron
    Billing & Finance
    UTV Internet Sales & Admin.

UK 0845 2470000 RoI 1890 926000 Support UK
    0845 2470001 RoI 1890 926111 "

No mention of a modem at all.

Besides, they charged me an extra month considering I cancelled the account in May.

I won't be paying anything at all for any modem from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I got a similar cancellation note from BT when I moved, no mention of the modem was made. I think though that on the Broadband Plus from BT you get to keep the modem after 12 months, but on ordinary Broadband you are expected to return the modem. Fairly sure that's written in the FAQ somewhere.

Anyway, just tell them you did send it back, but you didn't record the delivery as that would cost you money. If it goes missing in the post then you can't be held responsible. I seriously doubt they'll ever follow up on this, as they most likely can't anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

Smash it up with a hammer and put some poo in it too. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

i'm transfering my BB to Bt, so if they want the modem back, i'll use the registered post here in work and let them pay it for me.

Advertisement