Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition too tough in Irish BB market for Tele2

Options
  • 19-12-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

According to this news report on the RTE website Tele2 has sold its UK and Irish arms to the Carphone warehouse. One of the reasons is that the state of BB market in Ireland is too competitive and makes it unattractive to offer BB which is what Tele2 wanted to do to increases its revenue.

Now the UK market I can understand, but I think what they mean by competition in the Irish market is the lack of competition due to Eircom's frustration of the LLU process.

M.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I read something about this over the weekend and I while I didn't pay too much attention to it, it was something like: Tele2 feels that they cannot compete with bitstream products against LLU providers. I'm sure this was mainly based on the UK situation but going forward this may well apply here also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tele2 never offered BB, they were simply a CPS operator here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

More about carphone's intentions, especially in the UK on the Register here:
    "Our goal is to become the number one alternative residential telecoms provider in the UK market," said Carphone announcing the deal.
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dunno why the sold off the UK, maybe they felt it wasn't growing enough due to late entry and competiton.

Here a lot of people are suspicious of cps or doing ANYTHING to the Eircom account in case the "phone doesn't work". Lots of folk still paying Telephone Handset rentals!

Given prices Tele2 was charging, (compared with Eircom) the consumer response was underwhelming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

watty wrote:
    Here a lot of people are suspicious of cps or doing ANYTHING to the Eircom account in case the "phone doesn't work". Lots of folk still paying Telephone Handset rentals!

I've seen that alot. People want to stick with "the phone company". When I moved to VOIP I was a little worried about it at first, that is potentially a riskier thing than cps. but sadly people don't understand how most of this works and how it would really benefit them in the end. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Aye there's that and there's brand awareness. Find me an average person who hasn't heard of eircom, and then find me a person who has heard of BlueFace. I'm sure you'll find both numbers as being remarkably low.

So should ComReg be doing more to raise consumer awareness of the alternatives? Or should they be doing more (actually that should be doing some, as I can't see what they've done for BB) for BB rollout? Bit of a chicken and egg question. Of course, if they did anything in either area, we mightn't have to ask that question.

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

cgarvey wrote:
    So should ComReg be doing more to raise consumer awareness of the alternatives? Or should they be doing more (actually that should be doing some, as I can't see what they've done for BB) for BB rollout? Bit of a chicken and egg question. Of course, if they did anything in either area, we mightn't have to ask that question.
    Perhaps balance is the key. But you have a good point, Comreg can't do/won't do virtually anything about availability or alternatives. Comreg with their "free market" mentality would likely shy away from interfering with consumer choice in any meaningful way, even if that means providing objective information about alternatives.

I could be wrong, but Comreg know of these alternatives and they're not that thick as to think that they're doing customers a favour by not highlighting choices in the market.Their priority is to ensure the comms market is working for companies, not comsumers IMO. And they don't even do that successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭RedRooster

Kinda glad Tele2 is gone. No more cold calls. No more phone ringing 4/5 times a day with nobody at the other end.

Infact eh, I have blueface:v:

Advertisement