Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make a router act as a simple DSL modem

Options
  • 19-12-2005 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

As above. Perhaps the stupidest question ever. I have a router - and I'm arsing about with another router. To cut out all possible causes for error, I want my current router to act as a just a modem. Is it as simple as disabling DHCP alone?

This is prolly one of those "smacks forhead" questions once I get the answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lynchie

You have to put the router into bridge mode. Should be an option in your admin page for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

How does operating in bridge mode effect VPN passthru? Or does it. That is, if the router supports it in the first place ofc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

what type of connection are you using between the two routers? cat5?

axer wrote:
    what type of connection are you using between the two routers? cat5?

ye - standard ethernet - not crossover (so dont need any uplink ports)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Just turn off DHCP and it should automatically forward packets to the default gateway (i.e. the router connected to the phone line)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

If you turn a router into bridged mode - it doesnt participate in your network as a router anymore - so it does no routing/nat/dhcp/vpn passthrough/firewalling/pppoe logins etc... etc...

It simply changes the ATM traffic from the dslam into ethernet traffic for your LAN.

You feed the ethernet traffic into your second router (Which will perform your pppoe login) that you want to use on your LAN.

So that means then that I could just slap in an output from the "dumb" router into the

a) INTERNET port of the below image (linksys wrv54g) ?

linkdet.jpg

Tis multiple VPN access is my crux - and the router that I have to work with is the Linksys WRV54g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Thats exactly what it means :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

If the router is in bridge mode, you need to "talk" PPPoE or PPPoA to it. Then you bring IP up over PPPoX. You then config your VPN passthrough via whatever box or device that then routes IP to PPPoX. This make sense? :)

Advertisement