Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain or Disc Lock?

• 19-12-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Which do you prefer and why?

If you use a chain, you have to carry it around when driving and it could (quite easily sometimes) be cut.

If you use a disc lock the whole bike will be lifted into the back of a dirty white van!

I'm not including an alarm cos you should always have an alarm ;)

Personally, (i have no alarm :( ) there's a disc lock with an alarm built in available from motomax that i'll pick up tomorrow. only cos i cant afford a proper alarm really. damn brokeness.

Which do you use and why....... 7 votes

Chain
    0% 0 votes
    Disc Lock
    57% 4 votes
    Both
    42% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BRUNO.22

Why Not Use Both....a Decent Chain Will Have To Be Cut With A Grinder.if Your Parking Your Bike In A Secluded Area Where Someone Can Hack Away With A Grinder For Ten Mins Without Being Noticed......then Your Asking For It.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've edited the poll, because I know exactly what all the hardcores will say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

BRUNO.22 wrote:
    Why Not Use Both....a Decent Chain Will Have To Be Cut With A Grinder.if Your Parking Your Bike In A Secluded Area Where Someone Can Hack Away With A Grinder For Ten Mins Without Being Noticed......then Your Asking For It.

most "decent" chains can be cut silently in seconds with hydraulic bolt cutters, most disklocks are next to usless except as brake caliper smashing devices.
    Chains and disc locks will only stop opportunistic thieves, you will not stop a determined professional thief from taking your bike if they want it with chains or locks.
    I only use a chain because of the aforementioned issue i have with disklocks.

Advertisement