Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are flashing lights legal?

Options
  • 19-12-2005 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

I bought a new rear light for my bike which has a couple of different flashing modes. However, the instruction manual says the flashing modes are illegal for road use in the UK.

Now most of our laws are based on UK laws (with the exception of the fun ones), so are flashing lights illegal in Ireland too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

afaik their legal in Ireland and if they are illegal the gardai certainly don't give a crap about them
    In all anything that increase visability for a person on a bike is a positive thing :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've been using a flashing rear light for years - who cares about the legality, I want to make sure they can see me!

Incidentally, the gardai also have flashing red lights on the back of their bikes....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Flashing red lights are technically illegal.
    When the light is on you're ok, but when it's off you have no light.
    Regardless of the speed of the flashing the light is off 50% of the time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

legality is not an isuue.

No cop will stop you if you have one and are seen to be using it.

It was the same years ago with high level brake lights in cars. They could still be illegal but every car has them.

Anything that increases your visibility, may not be legal in the technical sense, but is the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Most new tractors come equipped with flashing amber beacons. Again, their use is technically illegal but as it enhances safety it is overlooked. The IFA had been lobbying the Government to change this outdated ruling. I think it was enacted originally to stop every Tom, Dick and Harry fitting flashing lights to non emergency 4x4s, trucks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In the UK flashing lights on the rider are legal, so same here I'd assume.

LED lights are easy on batteries BUT they are give out very directional light so that if it's not pointing at the driver he won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I am amazed you would waste the electricity in your pc asking this question. There is nothing safer than flashing LED lights on the rear of a bike for visibility, and the intensity, battery duration, small size and weight make them ideal.

With the number of people riding without lights, the cops would prefer you had anything rather than nothing and no cop will ever do you for having flashing lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

With the number of people riding without lights, the cops would prefer you had anything rather than nothing and no cop will ever do you for having flashing lights.

h'mmmmm not so sure about that ........:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

thats weird,
    i find it next to impossible to see flashing lights on bikes,
    particluarly if its raining out.

edwhy do you al think they make you more visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I think it's always useful to know what the law is; whether one chooses to observe it or not is another matter.

Also, I don't trust the cops to always be as sensible as you imply.

And anyway - I used the battery in my laptop.
    I am amazed you would waste the electricity in your pc asking this question. There is nothing safer than flashing LED lights on the rear of a bike for visibility, and the intensity, battery duration, small size and weight make them ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

In my own experience of driving I think a flashing light catches your eye. If it's not flashing it seems to blend in with all the car lights.

So from that I always put my lights on flashing, both front and back.

Although you do see some muppets with lights on their bikes that just aren't bright enough and don't get me started on the so called "stealth cyclists" with no lights. I must pass at least 4 or 5 every day when I am cycling home...

Do the guards stop someone with no lights as I have never seen it happen and yet see loads of people without lights?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

t5pwr wrote:
    Do the guards stop someone with no lights as I have never seen it happen and yet see loads of people without lights?

Well they did two years ago, they stopped a friend of mine as he was going out the Cork road at about 11pm :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

considering that the bike gardai in dublin city centre don't even have rear lights on their own bikes (just a flasher on their belt), i doubt they would stop you if you had an led light.

though i did see a guy stopped by the cops yesterday, no lights, and cycling on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anything that makes them more visible can only be good. But a bit more road sense in some cyclists might not go amisss either.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

One of these days I'm going to stop a Garda and make a citizen's arrest for him not having a proper rear light.

(Or I might let him away with it - depending on how I feel.)

silverside wrote:
    considering that the bike gardai in dublin city centre don't even have rear lights on their own bikes (just a flasher on their belt), i doubt they would stop you if you had an led light.

though i did see a guy stopped by the cops yesterday, no lights, and cycling on the pavement.

Advertisement