Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X850XT vs 6800GS. Interesting!

Options
  • 19-12-2005 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting a new gfx card

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html#aGX_2d037_2dPC

As you can see there, . This week I can pick up an XT for €270 delivered. Or I can get the XXX edition of the 6800GS for €300 delivered. I had been thinking of getting the 6800GS but isnt the XT a better card? More pieplines, higher core speed?

Is there something I'm missing? Should the XT not be more expensive than the GS or is this just a good deal? If its a good deal I'd like to order before the offer runs out? Anyone had bad experience with Powercolor cards? My powercolor 9800pro went mad but it was my fault. Only thing was I couldnt get an RMA from them after months of trying
    PowerColor ATI Radeon X850 XT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-037-PC)
    The PowerColor X850 XT advances High-Definition Gaming with blockbuster features, including SMARTSHADER™ HD, highly advanced pixel shader engine. With up to 16 parallel pixel pipelines and up to 43 billion shader operations per second, the PowerColor X850 XT delivers the power serious gamers need. SMOOTHVISION™ HD combines advanced texture filtering with revolutionary 3Dc™ image enhancement technology to deliver brilliant image quality without compromising performance. 3Dc™ has quickly become an industry standard for supporting complex, high-definition visual effects in real time.

- 520MHz GPU Clock Speed
    - 256MB 1080MHz GDDR3 memory accelerates the latest cutting edge 3D applications
    - 256-bit quad-channel GDDR3 memory interface
    - Sixteen pixel pipelines
    - Six programmable vertex shader pipelines
    - ATX v2.0 compliant PSU Required for PCI-E Graphics/Motherboard.
    - Crossfire compatible (Required Crossfire Master Edition card)
    - Supplied with Pacific Fighters full game
    XFX GeForce 6800 GS Extreme XXX Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-056-XF)
    The groundbreaking new NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6800 graphics processing units (GPUs) and their revolutionary technologies power worlds where reality and fantasy meet; worlds in which new standards are set for visual realism and quality, performance, and video functionality. The GeForce 6800 GPUs deliver powerful, elegant graphics to drench your senses, immersing you in unparalleled worlds of visual effects for the ultimate PC experience. This new 6800 GS model outperforms the 6800 GT and cost less too. Performance is further boosted in this XXX version as the clock speeds have been increased from the default 425MHz core and 1000MHz memory upto 485MHz core and 1100MHz memory making this the quickest 6800 GS card available on the market.

- 485MHz Core Engine Clock speed
    - 256MB 1100MHz high speed GDDR3 memory
    - Superscalar 12-Pipe GPU Architecture
    - High-Speed DDR 256-bit Memory Interface
    - Dual 400MHz RAMDACs
    - SLI Multi-GPU Support
    - ATX v2.0 compliant PSU Required for PCI-E Graphics/Motherboard
    - Supplied with Farcry full game on DVD
    - 2 Years Manufacturer Warranty - Call XFX UK on 09068354400 for technical support and RMA services.

Just to add in. I just cant afford the 7800GTX so no point in recommending that. Also I want the new card for getting decent graphics from Doom 3, Guild Wars, WoW, HL2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i've been doing some reading on the latest cards and this looks to be the best value card out there at the moment. its almost as fast as the gtx but 200 cheaper. http://tinyurl.com/9fnjr or here http://tinyurl.com/7dj2k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Both of those exceed my 300 budget though. And you'd have to add import costs and shipping on the american one and shipping on the german one. Just want to get a rough idea on the two cards mentioned above. Thanks anyway though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The X850XT is a top-end card. The only thing it's missing is SM3 (but that would slow performance anyway); anyway, this seems like a run-out (eg bargain) model.
    The 6800GS is a trumped-up 6800 (mid-range), but still a little below the 6800GT. Seeing as the X850XT's rival was the 6800Ultra, that shows who's boss!
    *in short* Get the X850XT while it's cheap. Then mod it to X850XT PE spec :D(only if needed!)

Well instead of getting that Powercolor X850XT for €270 I managed to snipe an ATI X850XT PE (oh yeah :D ) for €296 incl shipping

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6832959203&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Did I do good??? I cant find many places to buy the ATI brand of this card. It's all powercolor and sapphire. Price of the agp version on ebay seems to be about €400. I'd imagine the pci-x version is a little more

After having a powercolor go dead and not being able to rma it I went with ATI. I contacted ATI when my powercolor went to find out any info and ATI's rma service is a lot better so its nice to know its there if I need it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009B0GIG/002-6506869-9771211?v=glance&n=172282

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

You did good.
    Komplett are doing the Saphire X850 XT PE here for €389

• Advertisement

If anyone else is interested: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6828923053&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:UK:1

Shipping is £15 to Ireland. Just got a reply from seller this morning. Works out at €290 delivered. Same as the one I bought but I totally forgot about that auction and couldnt find it when searching ebay so there's a bargain there for someone

Advertisement