Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing yourself from the electoral register

Options
  • 19-12-2005 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to have yourself removed from the register?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Why would you want to? If you don't want to vote, then don't go on polling day.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are entitled to have your name only included on the private register - used forofficial purposes only. Then there is the public register which includes only people who want to be on the public register.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ArthurDent wrote:
    Why would you want to? If you don't want to vote, then don't go on polling day.
    You can still get called for jury service though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Some people I know simply didn't return their register forms deliberately hence they are off the register.
    For immediate unregistration, haven't a clue, maybe Victor would know more about that! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

These forms have never appeared at my house in all my lifetime, so I am still on there regardless. Strange eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

What is wrong with the obvious solution- your local council deal with the register- they have a person in charge of the database- call them and ask to be removed from it. If they ask why, say you're moving somewhere else in the country. I presume after calling them you'll have to ask formally in writing.

Thats easy, or have I missed someting? (not being smart)
    gurramok wrote:
    Some people I know simply didn't return their register forms deliberately hence they are off the register.
    I'm pretty sure that form is actually for registering new voters, and, for accuracy's sake- list the other ones at that address. You don't need to return it at all. If you don't, you're still registered.

Oh, the 2002 register was compiled from the census. I'm not sure what the legal basis for that was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Each county council appear to have their own ways of dealing with the electoral register. Fingal C C is very quick off the mark if you move house (within its area) but others are much slower. I'm currently registered in four parts of the country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fake your own death. That should get you off the hook. Might get you off taxes too.

Of course, when it comes time to collecting pensions and so on, there might be an issue.

NTM

Fake your own death. That should get you off the hook. Might get you off taxes too.

Of course, when it comes time to collecting pensions and so on, there might be an issue.

NTM
    Roffle! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Victor wrote:
    Oh, the 2002 register was compiled from the census. I'm not sure what the legal basis for that was though.
    That don't make sense because there are tens of thousands of people who were on the census at the time who are still not on the electoral register.
    Maybe its just the different councils who interpret the data that could be the source of the discrepancy?
    Aphex wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that form is actually for registering new voters, and, for accuracy's sake- list the other ones at that address. You don't need to return it at all. If you don't, you're still registered.
    Then how come it says on the form that by not filling it in, the person is not guaranteed to remain on the register?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They should make it a condition that in order to get a passport you should have to be on the voting register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

BrianD wrote:
    They should make it a condition that in order to get a passport you should have to be on the voting register.

Why?

You should only be allowed leave the country if you register to vote? I'm failing to see the connection ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Encourage people to participate in the democratic process. Registration is the first step. You can still abstain in you wish to. In Australia, you get fined if you don't vote. Perhaps this a little harsh but if we had more ways of getting people onto and keeping them on the register all the better.

I think I shall just tell them that I am moving and just don't re-register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Encourage people to participate in the democratic process. Registration is the first step. You can still abstain in you wish to. In Australia, you get fined if you don't vote. Perhaps this a little harsh but if we had more ways of getting people onto and keeping them on the register all the better.

Blackmail is hardly encouragement!

One good way of encouraging people to vote might be to get rid of the apathy among the public caused mainly be crooked TDs and councillors who have brown envelopes on their mind rather than the public interest. Not saying they're all crooked, but there's enough of them out there.

BrianD wrote:

That's coercion, not encouragement.

Anyway, there is already enough stupid people voting. I don't want my voting power being further diluted.

gurramok wrote:
    That don't make sense because there are tens of thousands of people who were on the census at the time who are still not on the electoral register.
    But there are various options on the census, like "where you are normally resident", "who else is resident here, but not here tonight". It also asks questions on age, nationality, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

One good way of encouraging people to vote might be to get rid of the apathy among the public caused mainly be crooked TDs and councillors who have brown envelopes on their mind rather than the public interest.QUOTE]

These "crooked" TDs and Councillors didn't appoint themselves. The were elected by the public. You can't change anything by abstaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Victor wrote:
    But there are various options on the census, like "where you are normally resident", "who else is resident here, but not here tonight". It also asks questions on age, nationality, etc.

The electoral register also asks nationality so that it can decide whether you have full voting rights (Irish Citizens), are excluded from referenda and presidential elections (British Citizens) or are excluded from more things (EU and other citizens).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Litcagral wrote:

These "crooked" TDs and Councillors didn't appoint themselves. The were elected by the public. You can't change anything by abstaining.

I agree, that's why I vote and encourage others to do the same - I don't want my vote becoming diluted by the votes of stupid people. My point was that I can understand why people turn their backs on voting after all the scandals that have rocked the political scene lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

BrianD wrote:

To be honest we're probably better off if people who don't want to vote don't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

i was called for jury duty in mayo about a year ago in mayo (where i'm from) went to castlebar court on the day & wasn't called for the jury that day & was asked to return the following week.

i went to the court clerk & explained that i was now living in Galway, & had to take 2 days off work to make it to the court, she took me of the register there and then.

so you can be taken off the register.

however you should vote........

if we didn't have the right to vote we would be fighting for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. - Plato

i was called for jury duty in mayo about a year ago in mayo (where i'm from) went to castlebar court on the day & wasn't called for the jury that day & was asked to return the following week.

i went to the court clerk & explained that i was now living in Galway, & had to take 2 days off work to make it to the court, she took me of the register there and then.

so you can be taken off the register.
    You were only taken off the jury list, not the electoral register.

Advertisement