Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nokia 6101 vs Samsung ZV10

• 19-12-2005 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

I was in the Vodafone store the other day to find out why the 6101 was €50 more expensive with vodafone than it is with meteor. Instead I got an eager salesman pushing the Samsung ZV10 on me, for €129 pay as you go.

Does anyone have either phone or have any ratings/reviews of them? The ZV10 seems good value but I'm so used to Nokia I'm not sure if I should change. Also, I'm a bit weary because of the salesman pushing it so much. Would this have anything to do with the fact that it's a 3G phone and has more expensive services to be used?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated, I was going to buy before Christmas, but I don't know what one to go for! Also, if I thought they would reduce in price after Christmas I'd leave it 'til then.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

I waited last year as i thought the price would go down after christmas, but the opposite happened. I had to pay €20 for my phone in jan that if i had got it in december.
    It was with O2 but it seemed to be pretty common with all networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cambo

Hey Faigs,

I got this phone a few days ago (the ZV10) and so far I'm happy with it.
    The interface is nice and quick and its the first non-nokia phone i've used that the text messaging hasn't baffled me (why they can't agree on a standard SPACE/Special Char Keys, I don't know). The only thing i'd complain about is the battery life doesn't seem up to much. Granted i've been playing with it a lot for the past couple of days but i've needed to charge it every evening since i got it so i think i might be calling back into them to get a new battery.

As for VodaFone Guys pushing it, I think it was promo'd internally as well cos I saw alot of their shop-front staff wearing them during my own phone-shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

the zv10 does really offer you much better value for your money in comparision with the 6101 which is way overpriced. also the samsung is a reliable phone go fot it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The ZV10 is a miles better phone.

The Nokia phone is by no means bad but as usual with Nokia, you always pay more for their budget model then a better spec'd competitor phone.

I'd definately go for the zv10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I have to say I bought the ZV10 last Friday and I am more than pleased with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

zv10 is 3G. Isaw an ad in the paper that you can get the 6101 for 69euro with this ad.Was shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

liamskater wrote:
    zv10 is 3G. Isaw an ad in the paper that you can get the 6101 for 69euro with this ad.Was shocked!
    That was either bill pay or a misprint. The 6101 is 229 on Vodafone RTG and 179 on Meteor prepay AFAIK.
    Anyway I'd go for the Samsung. Much better phone and a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

liamskater wrote:

That was a misprint last Wednesday. Meteor will not honour that ad. They'd be mad to. Losing €100 on a phone that's very low on stock when people are willing to pay €179 for it? Doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i just got the nokia 6101 on meteor and i love it! its easy to use like all noki's but still has its own unique features! i got the white version and i can honestly say its the best phone ive ever had and ive had lots of em!!
    oh and ive also had a 3g phone with vodafone and personally i will never go back to vodafone let alone 3g!!

review of the 6101.... http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/nokia-6101.htm

review of the samsung...http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_zv10-reviews-1357.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Thanks for your advice guys. But I was wondering, those of you who bought this phone, did you get it for the 3G feature or do you use the 3G? I wouldn't have any interest (or money - I presume it's expensive) in using 3G, so is it still advisable to buy it just for the normal features ie good sound quality, good camera, storage space, battery life, easy text function etc?

I've had all Nokias before and while I know other makes are just as good and better, Nokia seem to have the easiest navigation and functionality. Thats why I would be just a little reluctant to stray away from them, and also the eager salesman put me off a bit.

However, the ZV10 sounds good and I might just go with that one if I get a little more confidence from reviews. Any more comments or advice would help me decide.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

3g aside, the ZV10 just walks all over the 6101 feature wise.

I'd definately advise you to get it even if only using 2g mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Pythia wrote:
    That was either bill pay or a misprint. The 6101 is 229 on Vodafone RTG and 179 on Meteor prepay AFAIK.
    Anyway I'd go for the Samsung. Much better phone and a lot cheaper.

and its 199 on o2 speakeasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

6101 is still a relatively new Nokia and the price won't drop much in the short term - its pitched as an easy to use handset - but Nokia haven't done too many clamshells and I'd be wary of that. Having said that its had good reviews.

ZV10 is being promoted heavily by VF - as entry to 3G. But is a great phone for the price - its easy to use and reliable plus you do have the 3G capability. Battery life is fine if you go easy on the 3G applications but needs to be watched - but for €119 (online) and €100 credit. Its a much better phone than the E770.

I'd guess that Meteor are getting a kickback from Nokia to subsidise the 6101 as they (Nokia) are trying to increase their share of handsets with Meteor. Its a really good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

I have the Nokia 6101 myself here on O2 UK in Northern Ireland. The only thing missing from it really is the lack of a card slot to take the memory up from 4.5MB, and an MP3 player. If you can live without that, like I do becuase I already have a seperate MP3 player, it's a great phone. I managed to get it for £70 (around €105).

As already mentioned, this is a rarity from Nokia - a normal looking clamshell. The camera is only 640x480 but no one uses 2 megapixel cameras on phones for serious photography so again can live with it. Nothing extraordinary that stands out but its an easy to use phone, especially with the number pad well spaced out. A little mention to the FM radio - it is a much better tuner than older models, indeed it would put many table-top radios to shame.

Advertisement