Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Flynn and Kearney jump ship

• 19-12-2005 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

The 2 scorers in Cork's title winning match against Derry are confirmed to be leaving the club

http://corkcityfc.ie/home.htm

Get rid of animated sig or I will ban you from soccer.

Thanx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Your sig breaks the rules mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Like I was saying in the other thread...

Kearney is a loss, he's a good player. What idiot deals with the contracts on Leeside!?

O'Flynn however is no loss. A shadow of his former, excellent self since his injuries. Cork needed to get him out and get a 20 goal a season man in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Well this is a massive disappointment. I have been out of the loop so to speak and I turned on the internet tonight and both O'Flynn & Kearney are gone.
    :o

I dont know what Im feeling.

I dont really mind Kearney going to a Dutch club, but for John O'Flynn to head off to Swansea is a bit much.

Has he been holding back these past few years or what. Since the injury John is not half the player he was. At the beginning of his time here, he was the best Cork City player I have ever seen bar none. He was that good. But since THAT UCD match he has lost his pace, which was his main asset. It will be interesting to see, can he get back to where he was.

As I said I dont know what Im feeling, but its up to Rico and the club so sort out replacements. We have to get better players than Kearney and Flynny in.

I dont know where these players are but Eamon Zayed would be top of my list and maybe Stephen Grant can be coaxed back from the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

jank wrote:
    Your sig breaks the rules mate...

does it?

Yes it does and I will ban you if you do not edit it, see the newbies / faq section and read the thread on signature rules.

If you do not I will delete your posts and ban you from soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Slash/ED wrote:
    Kearney is a loss, he's a good player. What idiot deals with the contracts on Leeside!?

Just to clarify a few facts here, Liam Kearney was first appraoched about a new deal last June. He, and the club verbally agreed a new deal, in which Kearney got an immediate pay rise. However, when the club asked him to sin it, he said he would rather wait until the end of the season.

Now its no coincidence that he turned around and said this around the same time as George was given a bumper deal. Kearney obviously felt that he was as important at least as George. He also saw how Doyle was going over at Reading.

The club in the meantime tried to push through his signature, but he said he wanted no more discussions until the end of the season. In this time, Kearney played crap for 90% of games.

The negotiations were reopened after the cup final, he said he would sign if the money was right, he asked for too much (supposedly €1400 a week), the club felt that was too much for a player whose good form had been fleeting for his City career, and stuck on the figure they were offering (which i dont know how much it was, but it was possibly too low - possibly as low as €700 per week).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

any ideas on who this dutch club is?

Heerenveen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Slash/ED wrote:
    Like I was saying in the other thread...

O'Flynn however is no loss. A shadow of his former, excellent self since his injuries. Cork needed to get him out and get a 20 goal a season man in anyway.
    O'Flynn is a loss if we have nobody to replace him. I agree, Cork needed to get him out and get a 20 goal a season man, but I don't think thats going to happen as City aren't known for their spending and I'm worried that they'll try to chance on with what we've already got.

Yeah it all depends on who you get in. If you get someone like Zayed O'Flynn would have been surplus to requrements anyway imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

now i know im going to get flamed for this but...

im a complete neutral when it comes to EL and watched a lot of games on the tv this year. i saw cork city a good few times and i have to say i wasnt all that impressed with o'flynn. he seemed to be very quiet in the games i saw and when on the ball he seemed a bit greedy.

kearney on the other hand looked a great player. i always thought he was a bit small and lacked power but he proved this year that he makes up with it with other qualities. he will definitely be missed.

how do EL fans feel about players going to bigger clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

n

how do EL fans feel about players going to bigger clubs?

Would never begrudge a palyer wanting to try a new league or increase his bank balance, Hawkins to doncaster, Byrne to dons/bohs etc:

I would do it but just dont like the club not getting paid out of it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think thats it exactly. Can't begrudge anyone for wanting to move on for financial reasons or to clubs with better facilities etc, but you at least want your club to get paid for losing his services.

Hopefully Shels saying "No thanks" to €400,000 will help to change the peanuts players tend to be let go for over here, which I think is mainly down to an inferiority complex and the "We don't want to stand in his way" approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

This is such a depressing day.

come on City, give me some cheer before Christmas.

Zayed would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Hope kearney does well for himself over at heerenveen. Any word or where O'Flynn is going?

Latest is that since DIF have misssed out on Byrne, they could turn attentions to Flynn

mchurl wrote:
    Hope kearney does well for himself over at heerenveen. Any word or where O'Flynn is going?

Apparently Swansea but there are two other League One sides interested.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1220/cork.html
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20529
    http://www.swanseacityafc.co.uk/article.asp?a=4225
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/corkcity/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭radiospan

The Echo tonight says four clubs are after him, including Swansea and Djurgardens.

IF O'Flynn were to go to Djurgardens, he'd be at least the fourth player to leave the eL this season for another (non-UK) league. So far Wes Charles, Eamon Zayed and now Kearney have all gone to major(ish) clubs around the fringes of Europe.

Coupled with Doyles move, it certainly seems the profile of the eL has risen. To the detriment of Cork mainly.

Christ that's some come down for Djurgardens.

I agree with wheres me jumpa. People remember the O'Flynn of 2003, who was absolutley sensational, but that O'Flynn is gone and not coming back thanks to injuries. I would not be loseing sleep over loseing him if I was Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Slash/ED wrote:
    I agree with wheres me jumpa.

my opinion was based on a handful of games this season so i dont want to be claiming to be giving a definitive verdict on o'flynn.

cant be nice for city fans, winning the league, on top of the world and this happens. you would think its the last thing that would happen after winning the league.

so the byrne deal is off? anyone else in for him?

Its off yes. No-one else in as yet.

This Bray clause means someones going to have to bid pretty high for us to accept the deal too.

Slash/ED wrote:
    This Bray clause means someones going to have to bid pretty high for us to accept the deal too.

Is it really 50%? Though he was on a 2nd contract :confused:

kdjac

Well nothings offical on it but it would be around 50% yeah, and him being on a second contract doesn't seem to have effected that.

KdjaC wrote:
    Is it really 50%? Though he was on a 2nd contract :confused:

kdjac

Even if he is on a 2nd contract the 50% clause remains. And yes it is 50%.

What a silly clause by Bray to put in. Surely a realistic figure of even 25% would mean they had a better chance of getting anything?

A 50% clause means that the selling club will be very reluctant to ever sell that player, and dare I say, would prefer lose him on a free.

gimmick wrote:
    What a silly clause by Bray to put in. Surely a realistic figure of even 25% would mean they had a better chance of getting anything?

A 50% clause means that the selling club will be very reluctant to ever sell that player, and dare I say, would prefer lose him on a free.

Not that some of the Bray fans see it like that.

They seem to think they have achieved something by not re-negotiating the deal. Surely accepting a deal of 25/30/35% would have been infinitely more beneficial to them.

gimmick wrote:

Hehe funny that Devlin has nothing to lose here, gain 50% for his team or get his agent fee if Byrne is sold or goes on a free.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Hehe funny that Devlin has nothing to lose here, gain 50% for his team or get his agent fee if Byrne is sold or goes on a free.

kdjac

Yes he stands to earn more than anyone from any deal involving Byrne. Typical.

Agree with Gimmick too, 50% is idiotic and you'd earn more with a smaller clause as it's very unlikely someone will offer Shels double their valuation of Jason Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

I reckon 50% is the right way to do it.

It was Bray who made him into a footballer and for another team to come along and profit from that at Bray's expense is not right.

Cork board should have prevented Kearney and O'Flynn from leaving, contracts should be extended well in advance and if the players refuse they should be sold on.

I reckon 50% is the right way to do it.

It was Bray who made him into a footballer and for another team to come along and profit from that at Bray's expense is not right

:confused: Shels paid a transfer fee, that should be enough with 10% max addon and maybe a another amount for when he was capped. And there shold only be addons for a player under 23.Technically his schoolboy club should get any add ons and not Bray. Tbh Bray held him back if it wasnt for them he would be in the PL now.

Pats and Shels tried to buy him in 98 if he had off went then he would have been playing for the Champions/2nd in the Champions league/Uefa cup vs Celtic/Rangers (he wouldnt have missed that sitter in Celtic park :( )

50% is an insane amount and if a player signs a 2nd contract all addons should be null and void.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

But it takes two to make an agreement. Shels were just as insane, if not more so!

And is it 50% of the transfer fee (which I agree was totally ludicrous for both teams to agree) or 50% of the profit made by Shels?

As for the second contract. Could Shels have let his contract run out, thereby leaving him a free agent, and then sign him up again on a free. And pay him a signing on fee which would not be unusual. A bit of a risk maybe for club and player but it would likely have taken Bray out of the equation. Everton did this for somebody (Pistone?) although presumably not for the same reasons.

And is it 50% of the transfer fee (which I agree was totally ludicrous for both teams to agree) or 50% of the profit made by Shels?

Its 50% of the transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Advertisement

Probably the right thing for him to do, a 6-month contract isn't going to be much use to him.
    Leaving Cork “a very big decision” – O’Flynn

December 20, 2005

Departed Cork City striker John O’Flynn admits he thought long and hard before opting against signing a new deal at Turners Cross.

O’Flynn, who joined his hometown club after an unproductive spell at Peterborough in 2002, is returning to England in an attempt to succeed at the second time of asking.

He has already trained with Coca-Cola League One leaders Swansea City, while three other clubs have made offers for the 23-year-old, whose ten league goals helped Cork to the eircom League crown last month.

O’Flynn told local radio station Red FM: “I’d a chat with Damien and Brian Lennox the other day and I decided that I’m going to go back to England and learn my trade over there.

“It was a very big decision, and I’d been thinking about it for a few weeks now. I weighed up all my options and I think it’s the best decision. I’m the right age to go back over. There’s interest over there and I’m just chuffed to go away with a gold medal. This season’s been a big success.

“After thinking about it thoroughly I decided it would be the best to go back to England. I didn’t succeed the first time I went over. I was over at a young age, but I know what’s it’s about now. I’ve made my name over in Ireland. It’s time for me to make my name over there.”

O’Flynn admits the success of former Cork colleague Kevin Doyle at Reading – Doyle has scored nine league goals to propel the Royals to the top of the Coca-Cola Championship table – gave home-based players a real shot in the arm, and he aims to emulate his erstwhile teammate in England in the New Year.

“That gave every player in the eircom League a boost, to say that you can make it over there,” said O’Flynn. “I’ll try to do the same as he’s doing, go over there and get a good club and try to get on the scoresheet.

“There’s four clubs interested and have contracts on the table so I haven’t made a final decision yet.

“I have been to Swansea. I trained with them for a few days and looked around the club. It’s a big club with a massive support, massive stadium. It’s not like I’m going to a team that’s below Cork. But I’ll probably make a final decision by the middle of this week.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20530

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=346837&CPID=9&clid=&lid=3098&title=Kearney+set+for+Dutch+move
    Heerenveen are being tipped to push through a deal to sign Irish forward Liam Kearney from Cork City.

Kearney has informed Cork that he will not sign a new deal and is eager to test himself on a higher stage in January.

Cork have confirmed the news that he will be moving on and added that he had been talking with a Dutch club.

The eircom League side did not divulge the name of the team, but it is widely believed that the 23-year-old is in advanced talks with the Abe Lenstra outfit.

Heerenveen are in the market for a striker, with Klaas Jan Huntelaar expected to move to Ajax, and could be prepared to take a chance on Kearney blossoming in the Eredivisie.

Its a big role for him to fill, especially considering he ain't really a striker. Wonder if Sky have picked this one up all wrong?

But it takes two to make an agreement. Shels were just as insane, if not more so!

That's true, but from Bray or any selling clubs perspective, 50% will earn you less money than a lower figure as it acts as a major deterent to the player being sold so it's pretty stupid asking for a figure that high from their perspective too imo.

As for Kearney, can't picture him as a front man.
    As for the second contract. Could Shels have let his contract run out, thereby leaving him a free agent, and then sign him up again on a free. And pay him a signing on fee which would not be unusual. A bit of a risk maybe for club and player but it would likely have taken Bray out of the equation. Everton did this for somebody (Pistone?) although presumably not for the same reasons.

They could have I'd imagine, but look at Doyle, O'Flynn and Kearney this season alone at Cork. Too risky really.

There are clauses for Doyle. Not sure exactly what they are though.

gimmick wrote:
    There are clauses for Doyle. Not sure exactly what they are though.

there's a small sell on clause, a first option clause (!), international appearance clause and i think there may be a league goals clause but i aint sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

KdjaC wrote:
    :confused: Shels paid a transfer fee, that should be enough with 10% max addon and maybe a another amount for when he was capped. And there shold only be addons for a player under 23.Technically his schoolboy club should get any add ons and not Bray. Tbh Bray held him back if it wasnt for them he would be in the PL now.

Pats and Shels tried to buy him in 98 if he had off went then he would have been playing for the Champions/2nd in the Champions league/Uefa cup vs Celtic/Rangers (he wouldnt have missed that sitter in Celtic park :( )

50% is an insane amount and if a player signs a 2nd contract all addons should be null and void.

kdjac

Foreigner:p . As a real LOI fan I say keep our players at home.

The Kearney saga continues. It now appears he is booked to go to Citys pre season training camp in Spain.

He seems to have been very badly advised, as I cant imagine anyone being as stupid as him. He turned down a very good deal with City (his words) thinking he would be signing for Herenveen, when this fell through he went back to City to see was the same offer there, but it transpired the reason the Dutch deal fell through was because Lennox wanted more than the €5k compo being offered (supposedly rising to €15k if appearnces etc were made). Kearney got the hump, and felt that Shels would take him in a flash. Now we all know that Shels financial clout isnt as strong as what it was (for now anyway), and they were unwilling to match Citys offer, let alone better it, and in a city like Dublin, it would need to be a bigger offer than originally.

So we are back at square one by the looks of it. What a moron.

Haha, won't get a very warm reception at the Cross this season if he does stay. If he waits til he turns 24 can he go for free? Any idea when he is 24?

He has already turned 24 I think, and it doesn't help, the comp is still due.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

No, I don't think he is 24, he played for Ireland U21's last year.

He was 23 on the 10th of January this year apparently.

http://corkcityfc.ie/interviews/kearney.htm

Seems he is going to an eL tribunal on Wednesday in order to claify his status. I really do hope he ends up with nothing.

Hmmm... will they order him to sign for either club? Or just confirm if a fee has to be paid or not?

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Hmmm... will they order him to sign for either club? Or just confirm if a fee has to be paid or not?

think its just to confirm if a fee has to be paid or not.. i can honestly see him playing wth City this year TBH...

either way its plain to see the boy has gotten some seriously bad advice from someone (dolan? devlin? the 1998 denver broncos?), and its backfired completly..

Who will kearney play for?
    Shelbourne?
    Cork?
    The 1998 Denver Broncos?
    Rushden & Diamonds?

• Advertisement
Advertisement