Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting computers between wireless and wired network

Options
  • 19-12-2005 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭

I have a Netgear DG834 ADSL router, connected a Apple Airport Express wireless router. I currently have a PC connected (wired) to the Netgear router and I want to share it out to my laptop connected wirelessly via the Apple Airport Express. Unfortunately I cannot see the PC when I search for it. I can ping the PC from my laptop but I cannot connect to any shared folders. The only way to connect to it is to plug my laptop into the Netgear router.

I am using Windows XP

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Did you run the network sharing wizard and turn on file sharing on your PC?, make sure you do that,

also try turning off windows firewall or if you have norton antivirus 2005, try disabling the firewall in that and see does it make a difference.

when accessing the pc from the laptop,
    try connecting using start -> run -> \\computername or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

denis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Renton wrote:
    Did you run the network sharing wizard and turn on file sharing on your PC?, make sure you do that,

also try turning off windows firewall or if you have norton antivirus 2005, try disabling the firewall in that and see does it make a difference.

when accessing the pc from the laptop,
    try connecting using start -> run -> \\computername or \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

denis

Thanks got it working in the end. It appears that my laptop had some problem seeing the computer (even though I could ping it) until used the command -> Net View \\computername
    After that, I was able to map to the share drive in the Windows Explorer.

Advertisement