Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Awards 2005 - Phase 1: Select the Categories

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd definately support the idea of seperating films into genres.
    I'd also support the best dvd category. I know I know, I've yanked both those off Ioxy....I can't think of any others.
    Although, with the dvd one, wouldn't a lot of the films towards the end of the year not be out until february/march, when the voting is over?

Edit: Actually, instead of the dvd suggestion, I'd like to see a 'Best Character' award. I could think of a good few off the top of my head that I'd nominate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I dunno if the genre-splitting would be as much fun. Spoiled for choice and there's only one or two real stand-out winners in each category.

I think I made the best DVD suggestion and I'm sticking with it. Useful to see if there's any gems I missed. I also like Necromomicon's idea of Best Character.

Other suggestions:
    "Best line from a movie"
    "Person you'll miss most" (RIP Porkins)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I also think splitting movies into genres is not necessary. I like ioxys idea of best special effects, I think thats a must tbh. Best dvd is also a good idea.

I would like to see a "best individual scene" award. I think this could be very interesting. Kong v T-Rex springs to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

How about best trailer? just ignore the fact that the film may have been dissapointing:D :D

Best ending?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Kingp35 wrote:
    I would like to see a "best individual scene" award. I think this could be very interesting. Kong v T-Rex springs to mind
    I like that idea, the only problem I could see is that not all scenes could be abbreviated as easily as 'Kong vs T-Rex." You might have to say something like, 'The scene where Marv sticks Benico Del Toro's head down the toilet in Sin City".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I like that idea, the only problem I could see is that not all scenes could be abbreviated as easily as 'Kong vs T-Rex." You might have to say something like, 'The scene where Marv sticks Benico Del Toro's head down the toilet in Sin City".

true, bt I think it would be worth the extra couple of words :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

Splitting into genre might be a bit too messy, but how about a biggest surprise award?

Could be for a hyped film that turned out to be **** or an unheard of film being a hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

best review in reviews board? or best review from all the main websites etc.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well the Best DVD award is in then.

Splitting movies seems a bit of a "boo hiss" and is a bit finnicky. Any interest in the halfway point reached by the Golden Globes - one for musical/comedy and another for drama? Or just go straight with Best Film?

Best Character - for some reason I thought that was on last year and included in my list. Certainly think it's worth taking up.

Best Scene - Potentially troublesome one in that it might spoil movies for people. It'd have to be dealt with carefully although, in principle, I think it could be interesting.

Biggest Surprise - Not a bad suggestion. Something you expected to be really good, but wasn't or vice versa.

Best Special FX - Figure that one as a must, particularly with the current reliance on the stuff by Hollywood.

Best Trailer - Ho hum. Not as fond as this and that's partially because it's adding to my workload. It's an interesting one but I think I'd like to keep it to the broader scope of the film. I think I'd use that technicality for the Best Review one too - not sure how much support these have. And Best Ending is out if it's going to just run the risk of destroying movies for people...

Advertisement