Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

investment

Options
  • 20-12-2005 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

guys i need ur help and advice.i have 5000 euro i want to invest.whats the best way.i was going to buy elan shares last year but messed up.if i had then i would have made nealy 8 euros profit so far.but thats life.
    anyway hope u guys can help as i am only a new person in the game:D

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

i would put them in the stock market buy mabey 5 of the top shares. Lower return than researching companys but less work and more security.

I think elan are still a good buy, the Tysabri trials are going well and when they rerelease it the price will jump, but pharmaceuticals are high risk so you have been warned.

Also apple i think will get quite a bit higher over the next year or two. They are moving over to the x86 platform so alot more people will be using OS x and apple hardware [me included].

Also ebay and Coca-Cola look good.

On the irish market i would go for BOI, AIB, CRH.
    Also ryanair in the short term (before O'Leary leaves in 2007/8)

But they are just what i think will do well, if you want a safer investment just do the top 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thanks irishguy, do u recommend any sites that i can go and look at and also what stockbroker is good to start off with that will give advice and thats will listen to a new starter.:D
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

stockbrokers will charge a fortune for advice.you can get the share analysis and recomendations of stockbroking firms for free or a small price on websites such as sharewatch.com nasdaq.com ft.com investorschronicle.com.
    do your own research if your investing and dont rely on people on message boards,everyone has their own opinions but you need to form your own,join a few subscription websites that offer detailed analysis,read the free details on goodbodies and davys websites

i have read that commodities are a good bet,read about jim rogers commodity index

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Put it into AIB and BOI, u wont go wrong tbh. 3.7% dividend yield , a p/e of under 11, projected forward p/e under 10, rock solid stability. better than money in the bank;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

http://www.davy.ie/ i think are the cheapest for Irish trades (but its still about €30 per trade)
    They are not that many that offer accounts for the US markets to overseas investors after the patriot act in the US.
    The cheapest i have seen is http://www.optionsxpress.com/ for $9.95 ( I dont know what they are like)

Etrade.com offer US accounts with trading fees of $19.95 if your not trading that much, they are quite good.

For info i use finance.yahoo.com
    ireland.com
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business.html

Irish newspapers, slashdot.org (For tech news) and enn.ie

But most of all i just look at the market a company is in.
    what is the outlook for that market and the future possibilities for that company. That will only work if you understand the market the company is in.

But that is just my way there are loads of different ways of doing it. You should read up about the different ways and then decide which best suits you.

• Advertisement

thanks guys,someone in another thread said there some sort of bank account you can open and you get 20% interest on it.its for over 20 or 40 yrs.what are ur comments on that is it worth it, or is it money tied up for long.

drdre wrote:
    thanks guys,someone in another thread said there some sort of bank account you can open and you get 20% interest on it.its for over 20 or 40 yrs.what are ur comments on that is it worth it, or is it money tied up for long.
    20% interest per year? you wont get this rate no matter how long you commit your money for, you'll only get 3 or 4% max if depositing in bank for 20-40years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Redmon

I would suggest investing all of the €5000 in the recently launched Irish/ISEQ ETF (ETF = exchange traded fund). The only ETF that tracks the ISEQ is NCB's ISEQ20.

An ETF is an amalgamation of shares picked to represent a larger market or index. The ETF's traded share price will reflect the performance of the wider market at large. In the case of the ISEQ20 it will replicate the performance of ISEQ.

As you are a beginner this would be a good first step. You save on dealing costs; you are getting exposure to a large market; the ISEQ is mainly a play on the Irish economy; it has a good dividend. All in all you are easing yourself into business of investing; no need to rush headfirst.

Word of caution: the ISEQ20 is weighted very heavily in favour of Irish financials. If you are wary of Irish financials - and their reliance on everything got to do with property - then think again.

Lastly, this is an NCB product. No other major brokerage will advertise or go out of their way to promote this product. They do this for obvious reasons.

Check out NCB's site for lots more information.

thanks guys,
    ron "lump"the modertor said 20% in another thread.i have pm'ed him for more info but no reply yet.

"Put it in a long term savings account (Ie it has to be in there 20 years) AFAIK the interest is just under 20% probably closer to 15%.

If you invest €100 a month at 20%, after 20 years the savings will be 268,830.72

If you invest €100 at 15% for 40 years, the savings will be worth 2,455,144.63. So yes, he's right.

Probably what you'd want is a Notice Deposit Account... you have to have a min of €6,000 in the account and if you want to withdraw, you have to give 30 or 90 days notice, dependant on what interest rate you are earning. Obviously you'll pay tax on the interest, but a certain amount will be tax free. "

drdre wrote:
    thanks guys,
    ron "lump"the modertor said 20% in another thread.i have pm'ed him for more info but no reply yet.

"Put it in a long term savings account (Ie it has to be in there 20 years) AFAIK the interest is just under 20% probably closer to 15%.

If you invest €100 a month at 20%, after 20 years the savings will be 268,830.72

If you invest €100 at 15% for 40 years, the savings will be worth 2,455,144.63. So yes, he's right.

Probably what you'd want is a Notice Deposit Account... you have to have a min of €6,000 in the account and if you want to withdraw, you have to give 30 or 90 days notice, dependant on what interest rate you are earning. Obviously you'll pay tax on the interest, but a certain amount will be tax free. "
    you wont get a rate over 4% for any bank in the eu no long how you leave the money there,30 yr bond yields are only 4%approx

• Advertisement

yeah ron thats what i thought and think so thats one option down the drain.i think the best option is shares. i will do some research over the holidays and see what happens.as i donot want to invest till middle jan when i come back from holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Where to invest your money depends on your attitude to risk. The stock market is only one of the many options when you have a tidy little sum to invest. Another option is the first active property funds. They will invest your money depending on your attitude, with each attitude comes the relevant return. The property fund has performed pretty well over the last few years and of course there is the benefit of having a highly trained expert invest your cash for you, for a fee of course.

More details here http://www.firstactive.ie/sav_inv_invfund_01.asp.

Advertisement