Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City plans separate toilets for transvestites

Options
  • 20-12-2005 2:45am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1647982.html?menu=news.quirkies
    A city in Brazil plans to have three separate public toilets - for women, men and transvestites.

A bill before Nova Igaucu's mayor would force businesses and shops to put in the extra conveniences.

Councillor Eduardo Moreira said: "It's a way to put an end to prejudice."

The poor city of 800,000 people, near Rio de Janeiro, is home to 28,000 transvestites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I remember hearing about that alright. I think it's a good idea personally, I've heard reports from a lot of transgendered people about receiving abuse no matter what toilet they go into. I notice the George have it clarified on their doors that the men's toilets are for men and female->male transsexuals, whereas the women's toilets are for women and male->female transsexuals which must make life a good deal easier for the transsexual people who go to the George. You don't have that in most establishments though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Did they get "transvestite" mixed up with transsexual?

I'm confused. I never thought that TVs would need a seperate toilet since they only dress to go to certain places.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think they did get the words mixed up.

Advertisement