Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin or HMV?

Options
  • 20-12-2005 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

now that Virgin have opened does anyone prefer there to HMV? since virgin is a new store they obviously are cleaner and spanky looking but what about price/ range of products/staff etc? any thoughts?

Which do you prefer? 12 votes

Virgin Megastore
    0% 0 votes
    HMV
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

put it to a vote shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

virgin... why are they allowed to call them "megastore"?? Ever been in the MEGAstores in Paris - like Champs Elysees or in the Louvre? It's three time the space than this crap shop there in the crescent.
    Just another joke in Limerick...

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

HMV for me .

Saw the pc game " the movies" in Virgin for €44.99 , was in HMV for €42.99 and in Game for €54.99 .Got Game to do a price match on it though as I prefer to give Game my money because they stock the largest range of PC Games .

Other than that my wife is always increasing our DVD collection by watching the deals in HMV and she reckons they are cheaper than Virgin .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Neither.

I buy all my DVDs off the internet, they are much cheaper than HMV, Virgin, etc. Most come with free postage.

Plus multi region DVDs bought online may have added features not available on the ones sold here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

shouldn't that poll be Virgin/HMV/ Torrent/ Borrow the mates and copy it???

Virgin:
    HMV:
    Torrent:
    Borrow the mates:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

bazz26 wrote:
    Neither.

I buy all my DVDs off the internet, they are much cheaper than HMV, Virgin, etc. Most come with free postage.

Plus multi region DVDs bought online may have added features not available on the ones sold here.

Some of us still live in credit cardless land :( but of course you are right , they do seem to be much cheaper online .

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Online ftw, but I have to say I was impressed with the new Virgin. It doesn't seem much bigger than HMV, but I really hate the layout in HMV, especially upstairs. Virgin have good weekly deals too, at least leading up to Christmas.

It'll really be decided in January during the sales. If Virgin can beat HMV's 4 for 30 euro deal, fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastabrown

HMV is generlly better if your looking for older titles
    buying online can be cheaper but generally means european versions of CD with copy control problems and i cant convert then to my mp3 collection because of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hey, now we have 2 Virgin Megastores in Limerick. :D

Seriously though, it's fairly hard to beat someone like Play.com or CD Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ooh very tough question depends were your going of course
    hmv really do cram a lot into their store
    and so do virgin but they dont have the space issue like hmv
    i only chose virgin because you have a lot more space and theres a lot of good shops around it (ya i know hmv has a lot of good shops around it to)

it would be funny if you put up golden discs and blacktrack (i think they have changed names)
    golden discs is a terrible shop imo
    lately blacktrack are doing a lot better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastabrown

if you don't mind waiting that is took 4 weeks to get lost box set and had actually finished on rte by the time i got it from cdwow
    couldnt get me nine inch nails live cd special edition wheni had pre-ordered it and after a very long time told me they could not get it
    got it in virgin in the end
    bottom line
    top 40 cd get them in tesco as they are €

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

1huge1 wrote:
    ooh very tough question depends were your going of course
    hmv really do cram a lot into their store
    and so do virgin but they dont have the space issue like hmv
    i only chose virgin because you have a lot more space and theres a lot of good shops around it (ya i know hmv has a lot of good shops around it to)

it would be funny if you put up golden discs and blacktrack (i think they have changed names)
    golden discs is a terrible shop imo
    lately blacktrack are doing a lot better

Blacktrack is closed down, been replaced in the crescent by Roxy Records. Thats a shíte music store for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Being into unusual music that cannot usually be bought in the shops
    I was surprised to see some tid-bits in Virgin Like Limited Edition Box sets
    from Siouxsie and the Bansees which is a rariety.

I buy almost everything online with the only exceptions being where
    I want something really quick and I am prepared to pay the extra cash
    in rip of Ireland and bite the bullet and acutally buy it in a shop.

For Games I notices a lot of the Games in Virgin are a tenner more expensive
    that other places. I dont know about music since I dont usually by mainstream stuff
    so have lost track of whats an average price of an album.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Like most people I but nearly all my Cd's and DVD's online but virgin do have one very kewl thing instore. The listening posts we all know that they have upstairs in HMV and always are playing crap in Virgin pick up any cd scan it under the listening post and viola you can listen to a sample of every track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Blacktrack is closed down, been replaced in the crescent by Roxy Records. Thats a shíte music store for ya
    I wouldn't say that. I went out to the Crescent yesterday to buy "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" DVD and 50 Cents new album (pressies for Nephews). Saved €10 by buying in Roxy's instead of HMV/Virgin. I went back to HMV and told all the eejits waiting 10 minutes in line to pay €5 extra for the DVD to go around the corner - they all ignored me.
    thegills

sioda wrote:
    Like most people I but nearly all my Cd's and DVD's online but virgin do have one very kewl thing instore. The listening posts we all know that they have upstairs in HMV and always are playing crap in Virgin pick up any cd scan it under the listening post and viola you can listen to a sample of every track
    so thats how it works i was wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

My apologies the scan thingy seems to be missing was there when they opened and is in all other virgins

aww shame i was looking forward to giving that a go
    hopefully they will bring it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

actually the listening posts in HMV are broken so thats why theres always crap on them, that and the fact that every knacker in limerick wants to listen to whatever the newest on- the- radio- 2000- times- a- day single is out, far too busy to be changing them every 5 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

regards to music shops- presume many will have fond memories of Blackspot in Wickham Street, well after the change of ownership and brief closure two years ago- it is now definitely closing this coming week.

Pity to see it go

• Advertisement

shane2005 wrote:
    regards to music shops- presume many will have fond memories of Blackspot in Wickham Street, well after the change of ownership and brief closure two years ago- it is now definitely closing this coming week.

Pity to see it go
    never even heard of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Where's Wickhams Street??? LOL
    Are u making that up???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shane2005

wickham street is at the top of thomas street. It is parrallel to O'Connell St.
    Blackspot has been open at number 12 for at least 12-15 years- lot of indie/dance/hip hop/reggae and huge second hand selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Pity it's closing, especially since that area is about to be done up and should get more custom, anyone know anything about the cd shop in the basement of cecil (?) street that's only occasionally open?

Did Blackspot ever actually do that much business?

The really skinny road??!?! That Parnell street leads onto.. is that Wickham Street?

Indeed it is.

That roads been done up? How whats the plan??

I meant Thomas Street, Blackspot looks on to Thomas Street. Thomas Street is being partly pedestrianised, with the upper half having traffic calming introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i went into town today to get the new charlie and the chocolate factory movie on dvd( i love tim burton movies) anywho i went into hmv and i was shocked to see it was 30 euro!!! i put it right back on the shelf

i was up in virgin in dublin last week where it was 15 euro! not sure about the virgin out in the crescent.

i saw a few other dvd's that were pretty overpriced and ive seen cheaper elsewhere. HMV is becoming a rip off if you ask me.

• Advertisement

ya music shops can be wierd like that
    were sometimes they charge huge prices for unpopular movies and cheap for new movies and stuff like that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement