Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnancy Scare

• 20-12-2005 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

think i might be pregnant but it is too soon to use the test. I am due my period around the 28th Dec and when i went to the chemist they said it wont work til then....
    Is there any way that you can find out for definite before that time??

I was pregnant before and has a miscarrage and I feel that I having very similar symptoms. Or maybe I am just overly paranoid , which I hope to God I am..

Anyone got any advice??

Extremely worried here..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

d-redser wrote:

Anyone got any advice??

Go to the doc?
    <edit>
    I should point out that noone can give you medical advice on this board. And the only real way you'll get peace of mind either way is with a medical check up.
    </edit>

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

First Response tests advertise that they work a week in advance of a due period.. So unless they are taking the p*ss.. You only have one more day to wait and then take one of those...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

maybe you're just being paranoid but if i were you id do a test now anyway.
    look at it objectively tho: how far did u go, at what time of the month, what type of symptoms do you have etc.

d-redser wrote:
    think i might be pregnant but it is too soon to use the test. I am due my period around the 28th Dec and when i went to the chemist they said it wont work til then....
    Is there any way that you can find out for definite before that time??

I was pregnant before and has a miscarrage and I feel that I having very similar symptoms. Or maybe I am just overly paranoid , which I hope to God I am..

Anyone got any advice??

Extremely worried here..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

d-redser wrote:
    Anyone got any advice??

yes
    go to the doctor
    that's the only advice anyone can give you here
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

My GP wont see me untill after my period is due. I rang her first.

The symptoms I have are: very painfull breasts/ sore abdomen/ cranky as f*ck/ feeling sick all day long/ dizziness...

Maybe i am being paranoid but I really dont want to go through all that again.

I am going to take xzanti's advice and get that test tomorrow.. Sh**ting it here tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Those First Response tests aparently really do work, I have one here at home, living in the hope that maybe next month I might need to use it.
    I hope all works out for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

d-redser wrote:
    The symptoms I have are: very painfull breasts/ sore abdomen/ cranky as f*ck/ feeling sick all day long/ dizziness...

It's a bit early to be getting symptoms like that without the "pregnancy hormone" being released to effect those changes.

There are very decent pregnancy tests available now. The "digital" ones give you a very clear yay/nay.

One thing to note: You can get a false negative, but not a false positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Try the clear blue easy test. It's probably the most effective one you can get off the shelf in Boots. Worked for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Just back from the chemist and was told it would be a waste of time gettting it now because It wont be accurate..

I have to wait another week. And my GP said wait a week too.. :confused: :eek:

This not knowing is drivin me insane

If I were you... Id just do the first response test.. what harm can it do, The chemist is probably just covering her own backside telling you to wait...

They advertise that it can detect pregnancy hormones a week prior to your period.. Thats good enough for me tbh.. But its entirely up to yourself...

Good luck anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

there is no reason *not* to take the test, the results just wont be very accurate.

id suggest taking one immediately, and then in another couple of days.

worse case is that you still end up knowing nothing....

there is no reason *not* to take the test, the results just wont be very accurate.

id suggest taking one immediately, and then in another couple of days.

worse case is that you still end up knowing nothing....

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't want to sound insensative here.
    d-redser wrote:
    This not knowing is drivin me insane
    Worrying won't solve anything. Realise that there are only two possibilities, i.e. that you are or aren't pregnant. There is no mid-point, no scale of grey between back and white. There is nothing you can do in the next week to change things.

Try to relax, go enjoy yourself. Get a massage, have a nice dinner. Avoid the booze (known to cause "sore abdomen/ cranky as f*ck/ feeling sick all day long/ dizziness..."), etc. for the week.

Finally are you worried about being pregnant or worried about having a miscarriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭SexeeAussie

Khannie wrote:
    It's a bit early to be getting symptoms like that without the "pregnancy hormone" being released to effect those changes.

There are very decent pregnancy tests available now. The "digital" ones give you a very clear yay/nay.

One thing to note: You can get a false negative, but not a false positive.

Re being a bit early to be noticing symptoms....I have been pregnant before and I can assure that each time I was pregnant I knew I was from almost day 'dot'. Some women are in tune with their bodies, so much so that the smallest change can be noticed/felt.

Do the test and see what transpires...as Khannie said, you cannot get a false positive.

Good luck, hope the outcome is in your favour.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

d-redser,

Do the First Response test. I'm pregnant at the moment - due in 6 weeks, and, of the four tests I did, it was the one that came out as a clear positive. The others were inconclusive with only a faint line showing. Its because the First Response is more sensitive to detecting the pregnancy hormone hCG.

Alternatively, try the ClearBlue test. It will display either "pregnant" or "not pregnant" on a digital window, and is as accurate as any other test out there, but with the bonus of zero ambiguity regarding the test result.

My own GP tested me after I had gotten my positive result on the First Response test, but he told me that the tests that GP's use are no more sensitive or accurate than kits you can buy in shops. What will confirm pregnancy beyond any doubt is a blood test, and in your case, as you have had a previous miscarriage, your GP should offer this as peace of mind. If not, I would insist on it due to your miscarriage beforehand. Also, if you have had a previous miscarriage, most GP's will refer you for an early pregnancy ultrasound scan at the hospital.

At the end of the day, you know your body better than anyone else does, and, if you "feel" pregnant, you probably are. I knew that I was pregnant before I got any positive result. I felt "different", and I can't explain how, but I did, and I absolutely knew before I saw any test confirming so. Your symptoms sound similar to mine also, but everyones different.

Good luck with everything though - I hope the result is what you were hoping for, either positive or negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Victor wrote:
    I don't want to sound insensative here.Worrying won't solve anything. Realise that there are only two possibilities, i.e. that you are or aren't pregnant. There is no mid-point, no scale of grey between back and white. There is nothing you can do in the next week to change things.

Try to relax, go enjoy yourself. Get a massage, have a nice dinner. Avoid the booze (known to cause "sore abdomen/ cranky as f*ck/ feeling sick all day long/ dizziness..."), etc. for the week.

Finally are you worried about being pregnant or worried about having a miscarriage?

Have to agree with that.

Advertisement