Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second Hand car prices

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why do yyou bring your cars to England to be serviced? Do you be going to england anyway and just bring the car od are you goin out of your way to service them in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Both. Go to UK in Scoob anyway, it gets it's twice-yearly service at Monty's of Sheffield, Subaru main dealer for the last 7 years or so.

But I go with the MX-5 at least once a year to get 'proper' service, after I tried MSL near Dun Laoghaire last year (before NCT), and wasn't impressed with value for money (not even sure they did anything, just goes to show :mad:).

'Tis a trust issue, really - I've had the Mazda 5 years + now, had it serviced 3 times a year and MOT'd every year from dealer I bought it from, they sold the car new to the previous owner who'd had it serviced there and part-ex'd it there, etc, etc - they've know the car since birth and I've had nothing but praise for them for the last 7 years, having bought the one car previous to that from them as well (which was a Hyundai on their part-ex lot and for which they weren't main dealers, but which they serviced and MOT'd with some of the best value-for-money service I've ever had: you know many dealers that will lend you free a brand new Skoda VRS while they're servicing your 1.5L '95 Hyundai S-Coupe?)

For anyone on Boards in South Yorkshire and interested, that's Hayselden in Doncaster - not Mazda anymore, they are now main VW/Audi/Skoda dealers and also run a small second-hand high-value execs operation to clear their part-exs, with Lexus, BMWs, Mercs. etc. Even If I am to stay long-term in Ireland, I'd fly there (oh! the convenience - yay!) buy another from them and import it, rather than take my chances with second-hands here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

oops :o - double P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I agree with regards the car prices. People seem to look at the other ads and expect to get the same price for it regardless of the condition or millage of the car.

Go privately. Bring a mechanic keep an eye out for dodey deals and you should be ok. Buy and Sell seems the best bet and also the free ads in the pink pages. Good bargins to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote:
    I sell Toyotas for a living. The only Corolla 1.6's were all Automatic. If the one you're looking at is manual then it's likely to be a UK import.
    This year we were saelling '02 Corollas for E 11,950, usually mint with about 40k. An 03 next year should be about the same price. and you should get an 03 next year for about E 11250 without a trade in.
    I think this sounds a bit too expensive for what it is. It won't be worth as much second hand due to its past and the fact that it's 1.6 as opposed to 1.4
    Colm, do you work for a Toyota dealer then?

I have decided to go with a Corolla for the missus rather than the Civic. Friends wife just bought a Civic and although its a quality car, it didn't feel as solid as the Corolla.
    Are the '02 models you are selling the latest model?
    What part of the country are you?
    I might get back to you in a few weeks and let you know what I'm looking for and if one comes your way, you might give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I am currently selling my 98 MK4 1.4 base model golf and buying a 02 A4 1.9TDi, (Always fancied an Audi).
    Anyway i was wondering what i should be asking for my golf. I have had some people look at it already but my asking price of 4200 seems to put them off. Naturally i am willing to haggle and drop it a bit but i can't seem to hit on a deal with anyone.
    Now it has high milage 130,000 (had 98,000 when i bought it) but it is in great nic otherwise. It has a full service history, I'm just the 2nd owner, a priest owned it before me hence the high miles. I have just had it fully serviced, new timing belts etc, it has had new tires and brakes fitted before xmas and the rollbar & shock's bushings have all been just replaced aswell as a new CV joint. The NCT is due in Sept this year but it will fly through it as i take care of it.
    Despite all of the above i have been offered just 3000 for it which i think is taking the p*ss.

I am asking to much? Would you buy a car with this much milage even with a full service history and all of the above new tires etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you want to ensur mileage is relatively genuine check the NCT cert. I bought mine about 6 weeks ago with 30 k up on it since 09/04. At least i know nobody is going to try and fake that EXTRA 30k

Advertisement