Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of the year again - biggest dissapointment of the year

Options
  • 20-12-2005 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭

For me its the PSP, the games are just watered down crappy versions of the PS2, also the battery life really does suck and the fact it cant play avi videos forcing you to convert anything you want to watch to mp4 that and the limited battery life removes it from being a useful movie player, unless you want to play UMD movies which cost a small fortune, and you probably already own them on DVD already.

amazingly the ugly DS is better, better batter life and much much more interesting better games, this can change ofcourse PSP has so much potential.

On the games front the biggest dissapointments would be Age of empires 3, and perhaps Everquest 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I think I'd go along with Age of Empires 3. And Perfect Dark Zero.

The PSP has been anything but disappointing, my DS has been gathering dust ever since I got it, still only halfway through Liberty City Stories because I tend to play multiplayer more than single player. I wanna get Gripshift soon too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Still no Duke Nukem: Forever :v:

Altough to be dissapointed, you'd really have to have expected it in the first place.

I think the X360 has been a huge dissapointment, so far anyway, there hasn't really been anything 'next gen' or anything even partly close to the hype. Quite possibly it was a rushed launch, and there'll be better stuff out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with the PSP. Got one in March, sold it in August. The DS is just so much more fun.

Disappointing game for me would be Serious Sam 2.. Loved first/second encounter, and I don't think this was nearly as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Gotta be the PSP.

Sold mine on a few weeks after I got one. The games lacked everything and I just ended up depressed looking at it.
    Don't get me wrong, the browser was fun for a while, but well, I have a PC for my internet needs....and it's far better.
    DVD/PC/TV/Surround sound for my movies.....and that's far better.

Battery life, games and total lack of imagination.....depressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PSP as well for me. Decent launch and 1 or 2 decent games and then nothing but dull games that you wouldn't look at if they were on a home console. Mine would be gathering dust if it wasn't for my brother playing GTA non-stop. DS is a far better machine in terms of games despite a dodgy launch a a few weeks of nothing but noow we are being bombarded with some wonderful must have games. It's also a more 'portable' machine with a great battery life.

Also Suikoden 4 really disappointed me and was a huge step back for the series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Black and white 2.
    never have i wanted to love a game more, but the game just seems to have been created to upset me.

BF2.
    Grand for a while, but eventually the games most basic flaw [trying to force lone gamers to co-operate with people they don't know or care about] came shining through and it morphed into the new CS.
    Also the patches debacle didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Age of empires 3

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

FEAR, just didnt work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I'd have to go with the PSP. Just for the fact that there's not enough games. I travel a lot so I can't make it a big disappointment. It keeps me busy while I'm waiting for my flight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Got to be the Nintendio DS ...

Yes everyone goes on about how "interesting" the games are, which maybe true, but they are more interesting in a internet flash game style way than something you would pay €45 for. And most of the experiments such as Pac Pix failed to make a game that is actually very good and worthy of handing money over for.

And I am still waiting for one game that actually properly makes full natural use of the stylus without feeling like a trade off or gimick. It has to be the most impractical style of game play control for anything other than something like Civ or C&C, and ironically the strategy genre has been largely ignored in favour of platform games that would fit better on the GBA or 3D action games that are far to ambitious for the very very limited 3D hardware the DS has (it is not more powerful than an N64, everyone seems to think that because the N64 launch games like SM64 were failed miserably to actually use the N64 hardware and they look better on the DS, even though they actually don't. You won't be getting Zelda 64 style graphics in the DS)

Yes the PSP has the same set of boring racing games that the PS2 has but that is missing the point. The beauty of the PS2 model was that for every 100 boring stupid games released you got a GTA 3 or Pro Evolution 3 released. The same will happen on the PSP. It won't happen on the DS simply because the contraints of the hardware (both 3D and the fecking stylus). The DS is going to be the Dreamcast of handhelds, released with too limited hardware and with too limited collection of games actually worth buying.

Wicknight wrote:
    Got to be the Nintendio DS ...

Yes everyone goes on about how "interesting" the games are, which maybe true, but they are more interesting in a internet flash game style way than something you would pay €45 for. And most of the experiments such as Pac Pix failed to make a game that is actually very good and worthy of handing money over for.

And I am still waiting for one game that actually properly makes full natural use of the stylus without feeling like a trade off or gimick. It has to be the most impractical style of game play control for anything other than something like Civ or C&C, and ironically the strategy genre has been largely ignored in favour of platform games that would fit better on the GBA or 3D action games that are far to ambitious for the very very limited 3D hardware the DS has (it is not more powerful than an N64, everyone seems to think that because the N64 launch games like SM64 were failed miserably to actually use the N64 hardware and they look better on the DS, even though they actually don't. You won't be getting Zelda 64 style graphics in the DS)

Yes the PSP has the same set of boring racing games that the PS2 has but that is missing the point. The beauty of the PS2 model was that for every 100 boring stupid games released you got a GTA 3 or Pro Evolution 3 released. The same will happen on the PSP. It won't happen on the DS simply because the contraints of the hardware (both 3D and the fecking stylus). The DS is going to be the Dreamcast of handhelds, released with too limited hardware and with too limited collection of games actually worth buying.

I have to agree, I got a DS from Japan last December, and a PSP in February, and my DS has been prettty much on the shelf since then. Off the top of my head I enjoyed Lumines, Mercury, Burnout, NFL Street, Virtua Tennis, GTA: Liberty City Stories. Mercury and GTA being standout AAA titles and the rest being of a very high standard. I just named 7 games, of which only one is a racing game and only 3 exist on PS2. Not that that's a bad thing, PS2 quality gaming you can take with you is the whole point of the PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

PSP
    -Boring Games, Alot of PS2 ports, Nothing new.
    -Biggest Gimmic ever, expensive, not completley compatible [mp4's - browser restrictions]
    -Pro Duo cards

i dont play it, last time i had it out was to show people my JPEGS.
    wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

BF2.
    Grand for a while, but eventually the games most basic flaw [trying to force lone gamers to co-operate with people they don't know or care about] came shining through and it morphed into the new CS.
    Also the patches debacle didn't help.

Yeah its hard to get people to care about teamplay when theyre too busy trying too boost thier own stats :rolleyes:

Placebo wrote:
    PSP
    -Boring Games, Alot of PS2 ports, Nothing new.
    -Biggest Gimmic ever, expensive, not completley compatible [mp4's - browser restrictions]
    -Pro Duo cards

i dont play it, last time i had it out was to show people my JPEGS.
    wow

I already pointed out a lot of very good games and only some of them were PS2 ports(which I still don't see as being a bad thing, i'd rather PS2 ports than N64 ports)

As for it not being completely compatible, how exactly is that a negative point when comparing with the DS? It's a million times more flexible than a DS, although I will say that it's been quite a while since I've used it for anything other than games(because there are plenty of games to keep me going), but it's nice to know other features are there if you want them.

Anyway this is going off on a tangent so I'll leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

steviec wrote:
    I already pointed out a lot of very good games and only some of them were PS2 ports(which I still don't see as being a bad thing, i'd rather PS2 ports than N64 ports)

As for it not being completely compatible, how exactly is that a negative point when comparing with the DS? It's a million times more flexible than a DS, although I will say that it's been quite a while since I've used it for anything other than games(because there are plenty of games to keep me going), but it's nice to know other features are there if you want them.

Anyway this is going off on a tangent so I'll leave it there.

I want to like the PSP, but its been months since ive played it, if i want to listem to music i use the ipod for movies i use my mp4 player which has longer batery life and native divx avi support and games I play the DS advance wars the onlymobile game i really like atm, if advance wars or something origional comes out for the PSP ill play it, but if i want to play driving games and GTA ill play on the PS2 not 20second load times PSP thanks, as i said huge huge dissapointment

only game i really liked on the PSP was shadowbane and that was a SNES emulated game, lumines is good also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Gizzard wrote:
    For me its the PSP, the games are just watered down crappy versions of the PS2, also the battery life really does suck and the fact it cant play avi videos forcing you to convert anything you want to watch to mp4 that and the limited battery life removes it from being a useful movie player, unless you want to play UMD movies which cost a small fortune, and you probably already own them on DVD already.

lumines & mercury are fantastic original games. yes, loads of watered down ps2 ports, but there's a few gems there (wipeout, burnout, ridge racer, socom etc.), and next year there's a good roster of games coming. battery life is fine for me, not once had it give any issues... then again, i don't watch movies on it.

perfect dark zero was a disappointment for me on many levels. loved the old games with nintendo. rare have gone to hell now that they got pwnt by microsoft. they apparently have more games in the works but after pdz, i just don't care

also, battlefront2 could have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

funny no one has mentioned the xbox 360 launch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

stevenmu wrote:
    I think the X360 has been a huge dissapointment, so far anyway, there hasn't really been anything 'next gen' or anything even partly close to the hype. Quite possibly it was a rushed launch, and there'll be better stuff out next year.

^^

I think Black and White 2 for me, I was really expecting more from that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

wouldn't it be great if someone created a forum for this sort of thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Such a forum would cost thousands, nay millions to come into existance!

One would be almost entirely mad to even consider the making of such a forum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

tman wrote:
    Maybe if we all close our eyes and wish hard enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

OH MY GOD, IT WORKED!!! http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

That is so freaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

I dont think anyone realy in the heart expected it to be that good, so no dissapointment its a disgrace some of the games are getting such good reviews, theyre insanely over priced and nothing special, even with a HD tv, Gotham racer is good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

PSP/F.E.A.R/Perfect Dark Zero, PDZ being the ultimate in steaming turd technology of disappointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

tman wrote:
    quiet you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

This thread is fairly dissapointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

You guys must not travel much because if you did the PSP would be a god sent. I'd rather not carry a laptop around huge airports. The PSP I can just put in my pocket and the AC adaptor and I'm set. Espcially on the plane itself. It's just plain great to have around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Gizzard wrote:
    I dont think anyone realy in the heart expected it to be that good, so no dissapointment its a disgrace some of the games are getting such good reviews, theyre insanely over priced and nothing special, even with a HD tv, Gotham racer is good though

Games are only going to get more expensive in years to come, it doesnt matter whether GAME sells xbox 360 games more expensively or on a webiste that sells them cheaper the fact of the matter is that they are more expensive than ps2 or xbox games, why? because the technology used to make these games are more advanced and more expensive, budgets to make games cost millions now. If companies sold next gen games at the same price as ps2 or xbox, they would probably lose money and companies make their money from games, microsoft and sony actually lose out on making money from hardware but they balance their money out with the software. Id say gaming in the years to come will actually become an expensive hobby, but if next gen games are made to a standard that is extremely good then you wont need to be buying more games so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Games are only going to get more expensive in years to come, it doesnt matter whether GAME sells xbox 360 games more expensively or on a webiste that sells them cheaper the fact of the matter is that they are more expensive than ps2 or xbox games, why? because the technology used to make these games are more advanced and more expensive, budgets to make games cost millions now. If companies sold next gen games at the same price as ps2 or xbox, they would probably lose money and companies make their money from games, microsoft and sony actually lose out on making money from hardware but they balance their money out with the software. Id say gaming in the years to come will actually become an expensive hobby, but if next gen games are made to a standard that is extremely good then you wont need to be buying more games so often.
    not really most console games have been around the same price for along time.
    the current price of a 360 game is a joke but their offical RRP is something like 63 which in pounds is round 50, snes/megadrive games back in the day were not far off of this.
    PC games are the best way to c how the price doesnt really change that much. u can get new releases (online ignore rip off shops in ireland, the extra money they get isnt going to the dev/publishers neway) for around 30-40eur about the same it was 10years ago

Advertisement