Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar->Amp->8-track?

Options
  • 20-12-2005 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Hey I've a quick question about a Tascam DP-01FX I bought the other day.

So far I've just plugged my guitar directly into it and just plugged a small practice amp that I have into the headphone socket so that I can hear what I'm playing.
    i.e. guitar->tascam->10w

I've used the built in overdrive effects and such, just while messing around with it, so far. But I'm not really too impressed with the built in OD, so I plan on somehow using my 100w amp's tube OD,
    i.e. guitar->100w->tascam

BUT, I read in the manual; "do not plug the speaker output of your amplifier into the input of the recorder". Does this mean that I can't plug my guitar into my 100w and plug the 100w into the recorder? I don't want to try it because the manual made it sound pretty risky. How can I get a half-decent OD when using the recorder? (I don't use an OD pedal)
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No, you're sending a voltage through the speaker output, a voltage sufficient enough to make the speaker churn out the volume and the line in on your Tascam isn't designed to handle it. If you have a line out, by all means use that but only ever connect a speaker to a speaker out.

Get a Shure SM 57 or SM 58 and mic the amp, distortion sounds better through a speaker or speaker emulator at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Alright, cheers. How much is one of those likely to set me back?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I got a shure sm58 from Musician Inc for around 150 euro which was a rip off. But I needed it right away. Its much cheaper on thomann. Around 110 i think. But its definitely worth it. Its great for vocals but also good for miking amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Also try Ebay, Ive bought two sm57's so far from a seller in England for 85 euro each delivered, i'll try and find his ebay-shop for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodler

I second those recommendations - the SM57 is the business for your requirement. The 58 is only worth considering if you want tit to do vocal duties as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

No line out on the back of your amp?
    if there is you can use that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

get a beta 58. so much more beautiful than the sm58 (which is deadly too)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Doodler wrote:
    I second those recommendations - the SM57 is the business for your requirement. The 58 is only worth considering if you want tit to do vocal duties as well.

listen to this man!!

He's right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Doodler wrote:

The 57 sounds pretty much the same as a 58 with pop shield removed. There's not that much difference between the two and both will do guitars nicely. The 57 is just a bit brighter whihc can lend itself to guitar. If you want the 58 to be a little brighter just unscrew the pop shield (being very careful not to damage the exposed diaphragm) and you're in 57 territory. No fuss, no muss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Doc_Savage wrote:
    No line out on the back of your amp?
    if there is you can use that!

As a matter of fact I think I might have one of those line-outs....

Doctor J, you're familiar with the RocPro1000, would the line-out on the back of this amp be suitable for recording into an 8-track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

line out's can be fairly messy so be careful. Wouldn't be too bad an idea to invest in a 57 or 58 though, as it's an inevitable purchase that you're gonna have to make eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Since we're talking mics here, could someone tell me if an electret condenser mic would done the same job?

Advertisement