Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Rooster Booster

• 20-12-2005 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Died this morning.

:(
    ROOSTER BOOSTER died on the gallops this morning while being prepared for the Stan James Christmas Hurdle at Sandown on Boxing Day.

"He died of either a haemorrhage or a heart attack. We're not sure yet," said trainer Philip Hobbs.

The 11-year-old grey won the 2003 Champion Hurdle and was runner-up to Hardy Eustace the following year.

"At least he died enjoying what he did best," said Hobbs.

"He was having a gallop ahead of the Christmas Hurdle when it happened."

Rooster Booster was runner-up to Harchibald in that race at Kempton last year.

His regular partner Richard Johnson was devastated on hearing the news.

"It's a big shock. He was a horse that loved life and he was always in a rush to get from A to B," he said.

"He gave great pleasure, not only to myself but to the owner and to everyone connected with him.

"He gave me one of the highlights of my career when winning the Champion Hurdle. It was a fantastic day and I'll never forget him."

The Riverwise gelding, owned by Terry Warner, graduated from the handicapping ranks to lift the Cheltenham Festival feature two years ago.

Rooster Booster ran with credit in a string of big handicaps before landing a deserved success in the County Hurdle at the Festival in 2002.

He proved a revelation the following season, notching up a sequence of five wins including the Bula Hurdle before landing the Champion Hurdle itself.

Hobbs' charge won the 2004 Champion Hurdle Trial at Haydock before putting up an amazing performance to be beaten just a short head in the Tote Gold Trophy at Newbury despite shouldering top weight.

Rooster Booster had failed to hit his previous heights last season but he won on his seasonal bow at Huntingdon before disappointing in the Greatwood Handicap Hurdle at Cheltenham last month.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

:mad: ,he was a great horse , also another good horse died a while back.i cannot remeber what it was called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

A bad year really, Best Mate and now Rooster Booster. RIP indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Very sad news indeed, a very brave animal. I can't help thinking he should have been retired at the end of last season after his last win, that would have been fitting for the horse, he never had much chance of winning a race this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

I know a young lad who loved that horse. Didn't want to see him when he found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

masterK wrote:
    Very sad news indeed, a very brave animal. I can't help thinking he should have been retired at the end of last season after his last win, that would have been fitting for the horse, he never had much chance of winning a race this year.

I think his defeat of Genghis in October was quite impressive. As Hobbs said himself, he just loved racing and would have gotton bored if he was retired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement