Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Van Persies disallowed goal on Sat

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Sorry it took a while to reply busy but you have all put some valid points and here is something totally legal but not done.

People like gimmick here say why not jsut stand someone on their 18 yard line all the time.

It is totally legal to place a player in the opposing teams 18 yard box so here is a scenario.

Arsenal play chelsea. Wenger is a smartie. He tells Henry to stand and not move from the 18 yrd box. So henry stands there. No there is many points to this.

A) A long ball is hoofed up and if henry touches the ball is flagged but he can simply let it roll to a defender or through to the keeper and no flag should be raised.

B) A midfielder can grab the ball and go running through, keep running, crack a shot and henry can pounce on the rebound, and aslong as he wasnt offside from the rebound , the goal should stand.

The problems for me wit hthis is that it will give defenders and goalies a world of a headache deceiding o nwhat to do.

Big Sam on the ol Tv was talking bout, what if for instance from free kicks, you place two men on the left post, while having your free taker shoot all the time for the right, technically they are not offside because they are not interfering with the play.

But the morality is the keepr will be swarmed, and defenders dont know wether to stay or not, and if the ball is saved or hits a post the two players there can pounce on a rebound.

In simple terms aslong as the player offside doesnt touch the ball from the initial pass or ball flight he is not offisde, but can however continue on to link up in the move and be onside.

These are all true facts. The main reason why people dont do any of the above, imagine putting henry there and not to move, youd lose out on his talent everywhere else across the front line for a plan that probably wont work.

In the pub i watched the game in there was fueds going 90 about van persies goal and i sat and chuckled as anyone who knows the rules knew that goal was to stand.
    TBH its another big call for video referess tbh, cause yeah you can defend them all you like, but playing in one of the top leagues in the world getting paid what they do they show too much inconsitency and pure incompetence and stupidity, none of them have ever played the game and cant deter between a vicious tackle or a meaningful tackle, a true handball or not.

And the amount of penos they give away which or not. As a goalkeeper myself in past times, when you go to slide for the ball, and the player flicks the ball past you, unfortunatly you cant just stop. I watched darren bent at the weekend do this, but if the ref wasnt so hesitant he wuld notice bents touch took the ball out of play, he wasnt tgoing to get it, i wish theyd get some proper training and a read on the game, incompetent fools =/

They have cost me alot of money in the bookies this year wit htheir stupid bad calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

A) A long ball is hoofed up and if henry touches the ball is flagged but he can simply let it roll to a defender or through to the keeper and no flag should be raised..
    but if he is standing where the ball is punted, then he is intereferring with play, and is therefore off-side
    Big Sam on the ol Tv was talking bout, what if for instance from free kicks, you place two men on the left post, while having your free taker shoot all the time for the right, technically they are not offside because they are not interfering with the play.

yes they are interefering with play.
    In simple terms aslong as the player offside doesnt touch the ball from the initial pass or ball flight he is not offisde, but can however continue on to link up in the move and be onside.

see this is the bit that youare talking about above. as far as i know, if the player is in a position to interfer with play, then he is off side. if the player is not in a position to have an effect on play when the ball is played, then he is not off-side.
    in the examples you have mentioned, i would say that the players are in a position where they can interfer with either the ball or the player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

but the definition giving by fifa etc clearly states that a player only becomes active when he receives the ball. So where they stand has no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

but the definition giving by fifa etc clearly states that a player only becomes active when he receives the ball. So where they stand has no matter.
    Irrespective of that, there is an interpretation set down, which stipulates that if a player in an offside position is deemed to influence play, he is deemed offside. Henry influenced play. He is offside. No goal.

As an aside, any links to that definition, by fifa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, this has become an accepted thing without any reason for it.

No, that is part one of the rules, look at the other two parts?

Big Sam rants about it cause his team needs these sorta game constricting rules to win, and he doesnt want it changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

irish1 wrote:
    Well correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Van Persie was behind Freddie when the ball was played??

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/8430/vlcsnap3724544fo.png

Sorry about the bump.

Advertisement