Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Talk minimum 12 month contract

Options
  • 20-12-2005 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Is this legal? I know they can do this for broadband but can they really hold you to a 12 month contract for their telephony service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course they can. If you don't want it, don't sign it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

seamus wrote:
    Of course they can. If you don't want it, don't sign it.

Just because its in their contract doesn't mean they can enforce it. I heard there was a law passed that meant nobody could be held to a contract, i.e you're free to change if a better deal comes along or you are not happy with the service. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll do some googling in the meantime....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gegerty wrote:
    Just because its in their contract doesn't mean they can enforce it. I heard there was a law passed that meant nobody could be held to a contract, i.e you're free to change if a better deal comes along or you are not happy with the service. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'll do some googling in the meantime....
    Of course you can be held to a contract, though it does have to be reasonable and enforceable.

What you're probably thinking of is your right to leave/change contract if the company fails to provide the service it promised or if it offers a better deal at the same/lower price level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

seamus wrote:
    What you're probably thinking of is your right to leave/change contract if the company fails to provide the service it promised or if it offers a better deal at the same/lower price level.

Yea more than likely. I can't remember where I heard it but nothing about it on ComReg so doubt its true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Legitimate

It's nothing to do with ComReg, that's normal commercial law. A contract is an agreement between two entities; if either of you fail to perform your side then the other party has the right to withdraw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement