Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommended CMS for use on an irish ISP????

Options
  • 20-12-2005 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Greetings

I plan on doing a "favour" for a friend of mine by setting up his club website over the Christmas. He wants control of changes to the site so I'm giving him a CMS. He has yet to choose an ISP yet or register his domain name.

Two questions

(1): If this website has a forum and will store articles etc., do I need a hosting package that gives access to mySQL?

(2) Of the umpteen CMSs available, can you recommend one that is readily supported by irish ISPs?

Any help on the above would be really appreciated!

Merry Christmas :D

McGinty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

(1): If this website has a forum and will store articles etc., do I need a hosting package that gives access to mySQL?

Yes
    (2) Of the umpteen CMSs available, can you recommend one that is readily supported by irish ISPs?

I can't speak on behalf of other companies, but we support several packages that you can install easily via our control panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Thanks Blacknight - sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Where has the flock of vultures gone? Blacknight seems to be the only one to bother these days :)

rsynnott wrote:
    Where has the flock of vultures gone? Blacknight seems to be the only one to bother these days :)
    Rob - are you calling me a vulture??

Vultures are usually skinny...

No, no, in fairness you and the Hosting365 guy are usually fairly reasonable :) But a few months ago, there would have been about 15 people advertising their reseller accounts WITHIN HOURS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Me Waves the Hosting365 Flag - come to us were the best :)

You should be able to install any CMS no matter who you host with for good list of CMS's see http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Sposs wrote:
    Me Waves the Hosting365 Flag - come to us were the best :)

Were you? Who is now?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sposs wrote:
    You should be able to install any CMS no matter who you host with for good list of CMS's see http://www.opensourcecms.com/

Quoted for truth.

You don't need MySQL to run a forum system either, there's decent flat file forum systems floating about.

Though I'm not trying to sell hosting packages to people.

CuLT wrote:
    You don't need MySQL to run a forum system either, there's decent flat file forum systems floating about.
    While you *could* use flatfile for a forum it wouldn't scale particularly well...

blacknight wrote:
    While you *could* use flatfile for a forum it wouldn't scale particularly well...

I did that. It was in 1997; database hosting barely existed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Some of the ISP's (I know Smart do) offer sql hosting bundled with access plans...

By SQL I presume you mean MySQL?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

rsynnott wrote:
    Were you? Who is now?
    LOL

rsynnott wrote:
    Were you? Who is now?

If i said "We Were" i would be speaking in the past tense meaning we are not anymore ,but i said "were" as in "we are" which is the present tense ,meaning we are.

Hope that clears things up :)

Sposs - the humble apostrophe serves a purpose ...

We don't get on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭b3n

Hey

If he's looking for a light weight CMS that is easily customisable with a great community support site i highly reccomend php-fusion (www.php-fusion.co.uk)

light install , has a working forum , photo gallery articles , everything he needs. take a look at my site. thats what it is running off.

as for an ISP, tell your friend to google around, im sure he could find a host that could throw him a few gigs and MySQL access. then just get a domain at joker.com and park away :)

my 2c ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

PHP Fusion appears far too often on Bugtraq for my liking...

Advertisement