Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours Wi-Fi Messing Up My Own Connectivity

• 20-12-2005 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have a wireless setup around the house,using the UTV Creative DSL Modem/Router coupled with a 3Com wireless router and then a USB Nic attached to my PC. No problems at this point get good connectivity.

My problem arises when sometimes after initial power up, my PC automatically hooks up to a neighbours Wi-Fi. I just disconnect from that network and go and connect back to mine using the 3Com application that came with the USB Wireless dongle. Unfortunately once I go back to my own network I have lost my internet connectivity - I can't even login to my DSL Modem/Router.

In trying to solve this problem I have turned off my Norton '05 firewall and antivirus. I have put in ranges of IP address that are trusted nothing seems to work. At this stage all I can do is use my backup drive to go back in time. But that will work up until my PC once again decides to connect to a neighbours Wi-Fi...:confused:

Has anyone else had this problem, any suggestions would be welcome as this is wrecking my head !!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

What OS?
    (Presumed XP) Deselect "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" in the wifi card settings.

Remove any entries in the Preferred Networks box.
    Then connect again to your router.

[You may also want to download and run NetStumbler to check what channel,etc. the neighbours' router is running on -> you will want your router broadcasting on a channel +/- at least 2 channels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Download netstumbler and find out what channel your neighbour's network is on.

There are three "bands" of channels; 1-5, 6-10, 11-15(?). You will notice greater interference if your networks are in the same "band" or if you're in adjacent channels.

You should try change the channel of your network to a different band than your neighbour is on, preferably a few channels away. So if your neighbour is on channel 5, for example, try channel 10 or 11, not 6. Netstumbler will give you a value for the Signal/Noise ratio of your network - the higher the ratio, the better. Test different configs to see which works best.

You can also tell your machine not to connect to other networks. If it can't connect to yours, it'll just fail. Right-click on the wireless icon in your system tray and choose "View Available networks". Then in the dialog, choose "Advanced Settings". Under the "Wireless Networks" tab, delete your neighbour's network from the "Preferred Networks" section, then click the advanced button. Untick the "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" box, and apply the changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

IP Addressing, Firewalls and the like operate at a higher level of networking. You need to look at Layer 1/2 stuff. Most likely your cards are set up to connect to any available AP by default. You'll need to either specify the SSID of the network to which you want to connect, or set your own as your highest priority preferred network. This is done in various places, depending on whether you are using the management software of your equipment vendor or the built in stuff in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pingo

Thanks for the quick reply Karoma.
    Yep it's XP I'm running. However I have unchecked the 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network setting box' so I'm just using the 3Com software to connect to Wi-Fi network.

But I will give this a try - get my Wi-Fi setup through XP then at least I may be able to make my own network the default one.

Advertisement