Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux hard disk repair tools?

• 20-12-2005 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Recently, I (rather stupidly) installed two harddrives as raid, one of which I've now had to take out and use in another computer. Now, the data on the drives are completely innaccessible (and for some random reason, fedora chose not to boot so I could backup the data).

its too late now, but does anyone know of any tools for hard disk repair that can, amongst others do the following:

resize partitions (NTFS, FAT32, EX3, etc.)
    completely wipe a hard disk, from top to toe (my laptop still has some program installed in the master boot record, which doesnt go when I reinstall... its annoying as hell)
    data repair (reads a disk, looking for files and can restore them -- like if you deleted them; I usually use getdataback, but thats for windows filesystems)

I tried using partition magic to resize the partitions, but it just didnt want to resize linux partitions.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If RAID 1 (mirror) then should be able to recover.
    If RAID 0 (stripe) then it's probably every other 64K on each disk so data recovery would be limited to maybe 50% of files less than 64K in size depending on the file system (and that's looking at the raw sectors , the index is most likely toast)

dban.sourceforge.net/ - boot and Nuke cleans disks of all data forever.

qtparted will delete partitions and resize partitions.
    gpart can be useful - man gpart to see how more info on partition table
    NB. if you want to make a new partition use the lowest OS you would use with it. all will read/write FAT16 (2GB) most Fat32 ( not Dos or NT ) only windows nt/2k.xp will read/write to NTFS out of the box and if you go for dynamic/basic/encrypted then you are more or less painting your self into a corner

suggested order
    Dos 5 / Win9x / Nt / 2K / XP / Linux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SolarNexus

great stuff, thanks -- I'll check that out tomorrow (maths test to revise tonight :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Gparted or gpart

Former is like partition magic and the later is a recovery tool. I recently arsed up a test where i was putting a boot image on to /dev/sdb4 (usb key) and i put in /dev/sda stupidly.

/dev/sda was 160GB drive with all my data. Needless to say I wasn't a bit happy. Basically used Gparted to create 1 big ext3 fs over the entire disk and then ran gpart to get back my data. Both operations were successfull. Also found some pr0n i deleted a few weeks previous :)

Paul

Advertisement