Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasa eyeball Beagle 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

The register is nothing more than an electronic rag, I wouldn't be so quick to believe anything they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

AP broke the story, others have picked it up, the register is just a reprint of the AP stroy tbh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Nuttzz wrote:
    AP broke the story, others have picked it up, the register is just a reprint of the AP stroy tbh

http://www.newscientistspace.com/article.ns?id=dn8494

dn8494-3_469.jpg

dn8494-2_600.jpg

dn8494-1_700.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

cant they send a rover off for a look? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭josip

irishgeo wrote: »
    cant they send a rover off for a look? :D

[PEDANT]
    http://www.wral.com/could-curiosity-help-save-beagle-2-/14367032/
    [/PEDANT]

josip wrote: »

i knew it was out of the question but fun to read on how long it would take.

After looking at that map, how comes no lander on the north or south pole where its pretty clear frozen water exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

i knew it was out of the question but fun to read on how long it would take.

After looking at that map, how comes no lander on the north or south pole where its pretty clear frozen water exists?

on that map its not frozen water, its carbon dioxide (dry ice) frost

but you are right Mars has plenty of water frozen below the surface

some time in the next ten years I expect someone will collect beagle 2 and figure out what went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

nokia69 wrote: »
    some time in the next ten years I expect someone will collect beagle 2 and figure out what went wrong

I'd say 25 years and that's being optimistic. We can get to Mars in 10 years but it will be a one way trip unless we allow nuclear power back in space.

I'd say 25 years and that's being optimistic. We can get to Mars in 10 years but it will be a one way trip unless we allow nuclear power back in space.

spaceX have started work on their BFR Mars rocket, Musk says it will take about 6 years for the first flights, he said he will release more details at the end of the year

• Advertisement

when was it banned and why?

I don't think it was banned, they did plenty of work on it back in the 60s and it worked fine in the ground tests, but if someone wants to start use Nuclear rockets it won't be long before people start claiming its unsafe

in any case it looks like methane will power future Mars missions with maybe some forum of solar electric propulsion

I don't think it was banned, they did plenty of work on it back in the 60s and it worked fine in the ground tests, but if someone wants to start use Nuclear rockets it won't be long before people start claiming its unsafe

in any case it looks like methane will power future Mars missions with maybe some forum of solar electric propulsion

Dont voyager use a nuclear engine?

Dont voyager use a nuclear engine?

no, it uses an RTG for electrical power

for propulsion it used standard rockets

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what use would nuclear power be ?

Using something like NERVA is just crazy. All it can do is get stuff into orbit by using lots of heat and hydrogen as working fluid. Considering that Indian spent $24m on the first stage for their newest rocket there's no way it could be cost effective. BTW if you strap 4 boosters on the Indian GSLV you can get up to 15 tonnes into LEO. Russian , China , Japan , ESA and the private US companies all have similar capabilities. In short there is no way to justify the billions it would cost to develop. ( NASA are throwing $7Bn at SLS and they already had most of the bits lying around. )

In orbit NERVA would offer higher delta V's but still not as good as Hall Effect Thrusters which are pretty much the gold standard. Hundreds flow, decades of use and zero failures. Juno is using solar power at Jupiter's orbit so you don't need nuclear to power the thruster.

The one area where high thrust would be useful is during gravity assist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberth_effect But that would mean carrying a storable propellant rather than hydrogen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also stuff like this happened http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmos_954

what use would nuclear power be ?

Using something like NERVA is just crazy. All it can do is get stuff into orbit by using lots of heat and hydrogen as working fluid. Considering that Indian spent $24m on the first stage for their newest rocket there's no way it could be cost effective. BTW if you strap 4 boosters on the Indian GSLV you can get up to 15 tonnes into LEO. Russian , China , Japan , ESA and the private US companies all have similar capabilities. In short there is no way to justify the billions it would cost to develop. ( NASA are throwing $7Bn at SLS and they already had most of the bits lying around. )

the theory is with something like NERVA you can send more payload to LEO per launch

its hard to do a Moon mission with a 15 ton to LEO rocket

bigger better rockets makes everything easier

the theory is with something like NERVA you can send more payload to LEO per launch

its hard to do a Moon mission with a 15 ton to LEO rocket

bigger better rockets makes everything easier
    It's hard to do a manned Moon or Mars mission on just 15 tons. For probes you can get away with much smaller launchers.

I can't imagine how NERVA (test bed) could ever be cheaper than Energia (100 ton to LEO. Twice.)

And what happens to the unwanted core ? You can't leave it in LEO. This means you can't use it for LEO use like the ISS unless you waste a lot of delta V sending about half your mass onwards and upwards. So you have a luncher that's really only useful for higher orbits. And any economy of scale go out the window.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wow! So close and yet so far. So it looks like Beagle 2 made it to the surface of Mars intact but then failed to deploy fully. :o

The MRO is a remarkable vehicle in terms of the level of detail it can see on Mars. Poor Professor Pillinger - Beagle 2 was his baby and he was broken hearted.:(

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Wow! So close and yet so far. (
    Talk to the Russians about camera lens covers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement