Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breast feeding

Options
  • 20-12-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

My gf is thinking of not breast feeding our baby when it arrives . now usually I don’t think of any of these things as she knows best but considering ive been hearing the everyone say its much better to breast feed i want to know why someone would not do it compaired to do it

Im just wondering what the benefits of each ( breast feeding and formula )or is there any reason to not do it ? why would she think not to do it ?

Anyone got any good links that could explain to me what each would do

never mind just read charter found a link in there will read that .
    but if anyone has any other info that would help me understand both pls reply

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes it is best for baby but it has to good for Mammy too.

It can be hard to start off and it has to start not long after the birth and can be a little sore.
    Boots do nipple shields that are great for preventing cracked nipples and make the process a little easier.

Breast feeding can take a lot out of a new mammy and if she is going on or is on medication it is not recamended.

There is always the option of breast pump if it is the process or having the baby latched on that is off putting
    that way Dad gets a chance to feed the baby too :) but it is more inefficent then feeding directly.

Breast fed babies are less likely to get colic, and the don't need winding and don't sick up like bottle feed babies.

But end of the Day it is up to the mammy it is after all her mammories,
    It is not a big deal to give it a try the nurse staff are usually wonderfull
    and will be fully supportive and they usually have a midwife on call to give a hand with getting a hang of it
    but if it doesn't work out then there is the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 samanthacarter

You should respect the decision of your girlfriend. if she doesn't want to do it, don't try to convince her. When I was pregnant, I clearly stated to my husband that I would not breastfeed because I did not feel confortable with the idea, it was and still not for me despite all the documentation he provide for me to try to make me change my mind. My son is a healthy 2 years old now much loved and cared for, I did bond with him straight away despite not breastfeeding him and the bottle are so much handier than a breat, more expensive true but so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

My wife breastfeed. There are all the obvious benefits when it comes to health, not only as a child but later on in life. It's pretty amazing really, the mothers body is able to change the "mix" in the breast milk based on receptors on the nipples that tell the body what nutrients the baby needs from day to day.

There is also a practical element. My wife did also pump after 6 or 8 weeks which allowed me to feed the baby. But I was amazed at how much work there is involved with bottles when we visited our in-laws who did not breastfeed. There's sterilizing and cleaning and heating and all that. We didn't have to deal with much of that, even with pumped milk you don't have to do as much sterilizing as you do with formula.

At the end of the day its a choice. My wife didn't return to work which is a choice we made and something we spent months planning on and building up a reserve of cash to handle. It was also difficult to start with and we reached a point early on through exhaustion where we looking for the bottles and formula we had been given as free samples. I will never forget that particular incident because it was 3am and the baby wouldn't latch on and we were terrified he was starving to death. We managed to make it through that and he didn't starve to death after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone that doesn't want to give their baby the best possible start for a healthy life despite having the required equipment with them at all times since puberty and having no good reason in the world not to at least make a decent attempt is [at best] ignorant of the facts or else [most likely] a moron {in my opinion}

It aint easy and it doesn't work out for everyone - but I think there is a resonsibility to try. Otherwise you may as well be similarily half arsed about it and drink/smoke/[skydive] or whatever else suits you nicely - These are, after all, other choices that can be made by an expectant mother which will have a negative bearing on her childs future......

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Raiser wrote:
    Anyone that doesn't want to give their baby the best possible start for a healthy life despite having the required equipment with them at all times since puberty and having no good reason in the world not to at least make a decent attempt is [at best] ignorant of the facts or else [most likely] a moron {in my opinion}

It aint easy and it doesn't work out for everyone - but I think there is a resonsibility to try. Otherwise you may as well be similarily half arsed about it and drink/smoke/[skydive] or whatever else suits you nicely - These are, after all, other choices that can be made by an expectant mother which will have a negative bearing on her childs future......

I didnt breastfeed (or even try). I had my reasons. I am not a moron and was in full possession of the facts. Sometimes it just doesnt work out. I used to skydive, but not since I had kids.;) my kids are healthy and I think Im doing the best I can for them. As someone who couldnt/wouldnt breastfeed, comments like yours are hurtful, and a little ignorant. Its not for everybody and sometimes for the sake of the non lactating mammies you need to accept that.[/end of rant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

At the end of the day it's your gf's decision and it must be respected. You can only encourage her to try but don't coerce her. The resentment could come back to haunt you especially with erratic hormones. You want her to have a positive introduction to motherhood and not leave her with negitive feelings.

However I do think it's sad that she's not even going to try. Is is because she comes from a family where she hasn't seen anyone nurse their baby? If she hasn't been in an environement or knows anyone who has breastfed then it is understandable if she's reluctant, you do hear some weird and unpleasant stories about bfing. At the ante-natal classes the midwives normally encourage bf.

When I had my eldest in London where bf rates are much higher my attitude was I'll try it and if it doesn't work then it's formula. However with a bit of perserverence it worked and once established I was surprised at how enjoyable it was. He was bf for 6 months until I went back to work, my 2nd until he was 15mths.

The eldest who's 10 has only ever had antibiotics about 3 - 4 times and the 8 yr old has only had them once when he was 4 for a dental abscess.

One common thing that is often mentioned is that with bottle feeding someone else can feed the baby, however studies had shown that for bottlefed babies 86% of the time the mother is left feeding the baby anyway.

Remember Happy Mammy = Happy Baby or Happy Family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Nobody's business but her own. Stand well back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Surely the dad should be allowed some imput into how his baby is fed.
    Of course in the end it is the woman's decison but I think it is imperative that he at least is allowed an opinion.
    BF isn't for everyone.
    I managed with my first but not myu second.
    My husband was all for me bf but accepted my decision when I made it.
    But I think you should at least be allowed to voice an opinion and make your feelings known.
    try not to preach or ram the facts down her throat as many pro-bf will do but make her aware that you would like her to at least read up on BF and make an informed decision.
    When it works it is brilliant but when it doesn't it can leave a mother feeling bad.

If the dad wants to breastfeed he's welcome to. What a woman does with her own breasts is her own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

luckat wrote:
    If the dad wants to breastfeed he's welcome to. What a woman does with her own breasts is her own business.

you know if i could i would just because no where ive yet seen has told me a benifit of using formula over bf . not one place

its very easy to tell the dads to **** off its not your decision and you shouldnt care anyways .

• Advertisement

Hands down if you compare formula to breast milk, breast milk is better for the baby in everyway.
    Yes the child will be perfectly well nourished on formula but
    there are thing that breast milk do for mother and baby that forumla will never have.

But if you have not grown up with the idea of breastfeeding it will seem odd and unnatural.
    It can seem daunting and that after having to gestate a child for 9 mnths and have your body taken
    over your expected to then have your body taken over with producing milk like a cow for it.

No I am not projecting, I had all these toughts myself when I was expecting my first child.

Plus breast feeding can hurt at first and there are cracked nipples and engorged breasts and them leaking and waking up to a puddle in the bed and
    your breasts hurting when the baby or any baby cries once they are starting to get full. Having to wear a nursing bra night and day for the support
    and having to watch your diet so that you don't upset the babies digestive system and keep your intake of liquids and milk up yourself.
    Producing milk can be damn tiring and feeding the baby every few hours.

Breast milk does not come in a carton, there are no wet nurses to be hired
    so if a mother to be is not or will be not comfortible breatfeeding then we are lucky that there is formular
    Babies have to learn how to latch on and breastfeed properly and new mothers have to learn how to breast feed thier babies.
    There is no little line on a breast showing how much the baby has drunk and if it needs more.
    One of mine would have to be woken up as they would fall asleep after taking the hunger feeling off.

If a mother is stressed or upset then it can be damn near impossible for her to breast feed as the baby picks up on it. This can also affect the ammount of milk that is produced.

I do think that breast is best, but the cost and effect on the mother has to be considered.
    I do think it would be great if more women would choose to breastfeed or to attempt to breastfeed and see how it goes.
    But giving birth can be tramatic and scarey enough esp for a healthy first time mother with out this also hanging over thier heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Great post, Thaedydal.

I don't want to sound like I'm having a go at anyone, either here or elsewhere, but, while conceeding it's ultimatley the mother's choice, it can be frustrating for the father when BF is ruled out point blank without any obvious reason. Sometimes it's as if there's some sort of stigma attached to it.

My wife BF both our kids. The first didn't start off so well, but she kept it up for a few weeks, the second time went much better, and she was happy she gave it another go.
    Each time we bought all the formulae, bottles etc., so the option was there to stop whenever it didn't feel good anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Breast feeding is best for the baby.
    Bottle-feeding is best for the parents.

There is no question that breast-feeding is the best way to go. If people decide not to then I think it's for selfish reasons e.g. the baby sleeps better (so I do too!)

It amazes me that after a million years of evolution, we still think a corporation's product is the way to go.

Don't forget that bottled product has only been around for about 70 years so how do you think the human race managed for the previous 999,930 years? Breast-feeding!
    It's been normal that long but we've been brain-washed into thinking it's not acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I know we're not taking votes here but mine would be for BF, definately. Luckily my partner agrees with me. (We don't have any kids yet).

Don't forget that brest pump & bottle gives the father more of a chance to bond with the baby also. I wouldn't like to end up with the baby completely imprinted on the mother so when the baby is upset its only mummy that can calm baby down & put baby to bed etc etc.

elexes - i'm sure easons have plenty of baby books that would help you & gf understand more. I hope everything goes smoothly for you guys.

luckat wrote:
    I think if you have that sort of attitude towards the father of your baby you should question your relationship.
    Of course it is ultimately the mother's decision but saying the father should have no imput is just plain ignorance.
    That baby will belong as much to his/her father as to his/her mother and it is good to see a soon to be father taking an interest in his baby's health.

Soledad wrote:
    I think if you have that sort of attitude towards the father of your baby you should question your relationship.
    Of course it is ultimately the mother's decision but saying the father should have no imput is just plain ignorance.
    That baby will belong as much to his/her father as to his/her mother and it is good to see a soon to be father taking an interest in his baby's health.

No. A father is responsible for *his own* relationship with his children. He's responsible for whatever work *he* puts into the children. He's not entitled to nag a woman about what she should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Mia belle

I think all you can do is support your partner on whatever decision she makes, there are some good groups available through the hospital who will help her if she decides to try breastfeeding, also she will be given help when she gives birth. All the research shows breast milk is better for babies, but also remember, bottle fed babies do very well to. Both my daughters are adopted so therefore bottle fed, I don't feel they have missed out on anything, very best of luck, babs will do fine whatever you decide.

I think the important question here is not so much whether 'Breast is Best', but the borders in relationship between parents and also between parents and children.

Whatever a woman's decision, if she's feeling pressured by her partner, it is not going to make for a happy relationship between her and her child - or between her and her partner, however she fakes it.

Limits and borders are important in families, and they're often forgotten until they're necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

luckat wrote:
    No. A father is responsible for *his own* relationship with his children. He's responsible for whatever work *he* puts into the children. He's not entitled to nag a woman about what she should do.

He's also responsible for *his own* childs health. Do you think a father should stand by and watch a mother smoke during pregnancy too? What about taking drugs?

Breast feeding is clearly beneficial to the child. Why shouldn't the father want his partner to do this? Why shouldn't he push for what's best for his child? I'm not saying that he should be agressive in his attempts to make his partner breast feed (i.e. nagging), but I don't see anything wrong with trying to guide her decision towards what's best for the baby.

There is obviously more to parenting a child than choosing the best method to feed him/her but saying a father should not have any imput into how or what his new baby is fed is simply ridiculous.
    Surely most decisons should be jointly made.
    Maybe Elexes's girlfriend has a genuine reason for not wanting to breastfeed but to say that he should not be able to discuss the pros and cons and find out her reasons why is silly.
    It is like any decison which affects the baby both parents should be entitled to a say.

• Advertisement

I don't know that the analogy between smoking/drugtaking and breastfeeding or not is apposite.

But since you ask... well, I don't honestly see that it's a man's responsibility - or right - to nag his partner into stopping smoking or drugtaking because she's the vessel that's carrying his child.

Perhaps he should choose a mother for his children who won't smoke or take drugs!

As for breastfeeding... well, let's get down to the nitty-gritty here. Some women just don't like it. And if you're doing something that disgusts you, you're going to be producing lots of stress hormones that go straight into the baby.

If you've had a pregnancy filled with the constant whine of your partner pressuring you to do something you don't want to do, you're going to be chock-full of stress hormones too, and so is the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

where in my post did you come up with that 1 i had discussed the bf with my gf yet ? and 2 that i nag her about it ?

i think your opinion on men in families is very bad tbh if you think the issue of bf is nothing to do with the father of the child

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

luckat wrote:
    As for breastfeeding... well, let's get down to the nitty-gritty here. Some women just don't like it. And if you're doing something that disgusts you, you're going to be producing lots of stress hormones that go straight into the baby.

If you've had a pregnancy filled with the constant whine of your partner pressuring you to do something you don't want to do, you're going to be chock-full of stress hormones too, and so is the baby.

Discussion is not 'nagging' and you should stop calling it that.

Also your stance that the father of the child should have little or no say in a decision that may directly affect the childs start in life is nuts...

luckat wrote:
    you're going to be producing lots of stress hormones that go straight into the baby.

Please show me research on these 'stress hormones' caused by nagging and how they effect the unborn?!!?

Some women "don't like it" because they've been brainwashed into thinking it's not "proper". It *should* be done and it should be normal to do so. That's what we should all be fighting against.

A quick analogy;

Ever see a photogragh from the 30's where all the men and women are dressed in the finest evening wear? The like of which it's next to impossible to get now?
    All smiling, laughing and dancing without a care in the world?

They all stank of B.O. Every last one of them but was anybody holding there noses? No, because everyone smelled the same, NOBODY NOTICED BECAUSE IT WAS NORMAL!

Then, there was a fabulous new product called "deodorant" which made you smell better. They told everyone that they smelled terrible, that it wasn't acceptable and they should buy their deodorant.
    The entire populace didn't decide themselves, all of a sudden, that this was a bad smell, they were brainwashed into thinking there was something wrong with them and this product would make it better.

Same deal we got from the baby formula manufacturers.

Different people have different ideas and views on this and on the rolea that they see for them sleves and thier co parents.

Really your ment to be grown ups don't make me use the mammy voice and
    quote the the charter to the lot of ye.

It is nice to see that elexes is reseaching what is best for his expectant child
    and I hope that all goes well and that he is as involved when the child arrives.
    Ah the changing of the first few nappies is a rite of passage for every parent.
    luckat wrote:
    I think the important question here is not so much whether 'Breast is Best', but the borders in relationship between parents and also between parents and children.

This thread is about breastfeeding.
    In any relationships when there are changes the rules change.
    Becoming parents raises all sorts of issues that most people may not have
    even dreamed about discussing with thier long term partner.
    With the the due date looming both parents can get anxious and worry about what happens next as they are going into the unknown.
    But knowing that and not stressing each other out and talking to other people
    and getting them to support you and talk about issues is a good idea that
    way you don't freak out the other parent to be and can be as supportive as possible.

There is a saying that it takes a village to raise a child, I'd say the same for parents.
    Part of being a comminuty is that we do talk and share experinces that can
    help each other as our lives change and really becoming utterly responsible
    for a whole brand new person is as about as big as it gets.
    But many people over many years have managed it with some help and adivse from those in thier villages/communities/family.

Wanting what is best for our children is something all parents share.

luckat wrote:
    I don't know that the analogy between smoking/drugtaking and breastfeeding or not is apposite.

But since you ask... well, I don't honestly see that it's a man's responsibility - or right - to nag his partner into stopping smoking or drugtaking because she's the vessel that's carrying his child.

Perhaps he should choose a mother for his children who won't smoke or take drugs!

Why not dispense with the father altogether and just go to a sperm bank!

Soledad

really is a very offensive thing to say.
    Consider yourself warned another such out burst will see you temp banned from this forum.

Read the charter
    Thaedydal

What's offensive? Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean it's 'offensive'

Luckat is saying the father has zero input into the feeding of his child during the most important stage of his early development.
    I for one also disagree with that.

Yes but she didnt say that she didnt attck the post but the poster.

• Advertisement

How is that offensive?
    Who excatly am I attacking please explain?
    The post I quoted is in my opinion extremely offensive to parents especially fathers.
    A soon to be father came on here asking a simple question and was told by that poster he should not be entitled to any say......so what is the point in having a father at all.
    I am NOT attacking a poster but disagree very stongly with the views of that poster.
    I am a woman by the way....a mother of two toddlers.

If I am not entitled to disagree with view then feel free to ban me as I thought that was the whole point of the forum!

Please explain how out of all the posts in this thread the one I posted is the one considered offensive?
    I would sincerely like to know>

Advertisement