Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun fitting

Options
  • 20-12-2005 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All,

looking for suggestions on a person who can assess the fit of a shotgun. I have been shooting for a long number of years, but changed gun about 36 months ago. Although I am not keen to to change again I do have a problem with some shots and it was suggested to me that "if you had not got a gun with such a f***ing short stock that you would not have any problems with it!". There can only be less than a quarter inch between this and the other gun. But maybe this with cast and comb height and balance and weight can be enough ensure I am consistanly missing some shots?

I went to a clay ground when I got the gun first and after a couple of shots at each stand broke clays with (in my mind) awsome regularity. In the field with wings clattering and adreniline flowing this beomes rather less a feature of my shooting and on some shots the bird is more or less guaranteed his freedom.

Given that it is next to impossible to comment on my mount and swing from your side of the PC can you suggest someone I can go to an get an "expert" opinion from?

Cheers,
    AF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

What part of the country are you in A.F.?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

AF - Jeffer Sports in Bandon Co. Cork have a 'Laser fitting service' - haven't a clue what it's about but was waiting in there one day and there was a lad that had travelled down from Wexford to have it done.
    Some one else on here might explain what it is - I think there's an add in the Irish shooting mag: Irish shooters digest :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭airy-fairy

Hi Chopperdog,

Am in County Kildare.

But could be in Kinsale around the new year so might take a trip to Bandon as per the lurcher's suggestion.

To be honest, I just want someone who knows to say either practice more or get a gun better suited to you and practice more.

I have less time (young kids) to devote to what is my favourite pursuit so I want as much in my favour as possible when I get chance at putting that duck/woodcock/pigeon/pheasant in the game bag.

AF

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

To be honest, I just want someone who knows to say either practice more or get a gun better suited to you and practice more.
    Well, it's from a rifle pespective so it may not be correct, but what you described (the shotgun shooting well when you had just picked it up and then badly when you got used to it) is something we'd see a fair bit with rifles. What happens (with us at least) is that you change something dramatically, and you're not in a familiar pattern afterwards, so you subconciously pay more attention to the basics when firing with it, which drives up your score. But as the pattern becomes familiar again, you start shooting more as a reflex, and the weaknesses in your setup emerge. So it sounds like you may need to tweak it a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

from my experience its nearly always the mounting of the gun that keeps you missing and not looking down along the barrel level. Dry mount the gun in front of a mirror and perfect your technique until you can get it right with your eyes closed when you look down the gun in front of the mirror your pupil should be just on the dot at the end of the barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

There is a guy in Stradbally who will do what you are looking for.He will watch you mount the gun and go through a few clays. If needs be he will alter your stock to suit. I know a few serious shooters who have gone to him and highly recomend him. I have just bought a MK70 and just am caught for time to get over to him. Will pm you his name and number in the next few days.

Advertisement