Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa GT

Options
  • 20-12-2005 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Anyone on boards a proud owner?

Whats your thoughts? I've had a couple of test drives now (2L petrol and 1.9 MJet) both full spec'd with leather, bose, 18" wheels etc.

Lovely car, no doubting it - the MJet really is a superb engine. But its not a huge change for a significant amount of money seeing as it has the same look/feel to the inside of my 147. Before anyone belts me, I'm not saying the GT is the same as the 147 just has a lot of similarities which I'm trying to justify in the cost of a 2nd hand one.
    agt1112_1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think 'Alfasudcrazy' has one

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Best looking car around at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Go with the 1.9 tbh, lovely car, definitively stands out from the crowd (i.e. the 3 series drivers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mygt

My GT is due for delivery 1st week in Jan.:D Have to agree with ciarsd about the multijet diesel - its a fantastic engine. I tested the 1.8 and 2.0 but for me it just had to be the diesel. The torque is just amazing.

Beautiful car to drive, really eye catching and very unusual on the road. It's expensive enough, but the residual values seem to be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

A slinky sports coupe that sounds like a tractor, Alfa's are supposed to sound just as good as they look. I doubt they'll sell quite as many diesels in Italy, it's just a hunch though.

• Advertisement

Fabritzo wrote:
    A slinky sports coupe that sounds like a tractor, Alfa's are supposed to sound just as good as they look. I doubt they'll sell quite as many diesels in Italy, it's just a hunch though.

true, but the real engine i.e. the 3.2 is over taxed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mygt

Fabritzo wrote:

Actually I read somewhere that in some markets the diesel GT accounts for 90% of GT sales. And if I remember correctly, the majority of GT sales in Italy are diesel!!!

Might sound like a tractor, but it goes like the clappers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

There are more MJet engined GT's on Irish roads than the petrol equivalent - from personal experience and from talking with dealers.

In fairness to it, it aint that bad when its started... there are a lot worse out there.

Anyway, this thread is not about diesel sounds on coupés - just looking for some more owners experiences, afterall its the best advice you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I bought my 1.9JTD new in Jan 2005 and I now have 5,600 miles on the clock - I use other cars so the GT does not get used every day.

The car has been very reliable and economical as well as being very rewarding to drive. The 150bph diesel does feel very sporty when you want it to yet can be a relaxing and quite cruiser when you are going home after a long hard day.
    The only fault I had with the car when I got it was that the CD player jumped a lot but (without doing anything to it) this fault seems to have just gone away.
    Mine averages 45mpg but in general I am a 'soft' driver. I was tempted to get it chipped when I got it but warranty and insurance concerns - as well as deciding that it was fast enough as it was binned that thought.

I never owned a 147 but was well aware of what the interior looked and felt like. Having the GT with the same interior as a 147 was an attraction to me but I can understand that 'too familiar' feeling you would get if you were coming from a 147.

In my estimation about 80% of the 200 or so Gt's sold in this country to date are diesels - and this model is the safest bet in terms of re-sale value. Also the petrol Gt's can be quite thirsty in comparison with similar petrol engined 3 series BMW's

The GT is a car that's very hard to get bored with - as I did with my previous car a BMW 530D. The steering feeback and grip in all road conditions is fantastic and its quite stable even in strong crosswinds.

The negatives are few but there are some.

Those big alloys (mine are the 17' teledials) are fine as long as you don't hit any type of pothole with them - doing so is greeted with a loud bang which seems to send a shudder through the entire bodywork and steering . You end up being ultra sensitive to avoid potholes at all costs even if this means driving at 20mph and have a tailback of frustrated and bewildered driver's behind you.

Reversing the car is quite difficult too - as there is very sparse rearward vision. Its something you get used to and become more skilled at over time but its best to avoid reversing this car if at all possible. Sensors are available as an option but they spoil the smooth rear lines of the car IMO.

I always wanted a nice coupe - and while I had a BMW 318iS which was great I missed out on the Alfasud sprint, Scirocco, Corrado etc so I went the extra mile to get the GT. It was a gamble that many cautioned against but I am glad my decision was right and the GT has proved to be as good as it looks. :)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search&maxrows=100&MakeID=1&xMakeID=1&ModelID=891&xModelID=891&Year=&xYear=&submit=Find+cars+%3E%3E

GT22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Top post Alfasud...many thanks, just the type of feedback I'm looking for!

Regarding the major percentage of GTs sold being Diesels - Well there are two in my housing estate, both of which are Diesels, one in my friends area - also a Diesel and a further 2 over by my folks, one of which is a 2L petrol and yup, you guessed it the other is a diesel!

Has there been any recalls or reliability issues to note? Also, in relation to other diesel engined cars of similar size, is an average of 45MPG comparable? It definitely beats the petrol variants figure across most of the range.

Cheers Alfasud ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I did quite a bif of driving in italy this year and I can say that about 85-90% of all cars I came across were diesels.

As for the GT, I would be seriously tempted if I didn't just buy a house and was getting married next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

mygt wrote:
    Actually I read somewhere that in some markets the diesel GT accounts for 90% of GT sales. And if I remember correctly, the majority of GT sales in Italy are diesel!!!

Might sound like a tractor, but it goes like the clappers!!

Given the price of Diesel compared to Petrol on the continent, this figure sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ciarsd,

You get that car and I'll be raging jealous :(;)

As for the diesel vs Petrol
    I tested/raced a 1.8 petrol and a 1.9mjet diesel 156 in mondello. And I can tell you the diesel was a FAR better engine all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would definitely buy the diesel ,but is it a 4 cyl. ..........'cos I hate 4 cyl diesels.........they used to have a 5cyl. didn't they ?

Dunno anything about these cars, what is the list price like compared to a 320d anyway !

One thing is for sure these cars will not hold their value like the BM despite what everyone says, however the 3 series shape is so familiar now its actually quite boring !

At least the Alfa does look different, but IMO not different enough, they should've changed the front a bit more, it looks too much like the 156, not that its a bad thing !

I cant get used to the rear end though, its love it or hate it and I'm in the latter cvamp at the mo' !

I drive a GT, I bought it in June and have put 7500 on it to date.

I hasnt given me a moments bother despite the "its an alfa you're doomed" messages I was getting

Unlike alfasud I got the rear parking sensors, they are needed tbh, I dont agree that the affect the lines of the car however that is down to personal taste. Its hard to reverse with 3 adults in the back, so the sensors are must, a pole will do much more to the nice lines of the car.

3 adults will fit in the back of it but only for short jaunts.

The seats are not really suitable if you are a large bloke, my friend 6ft 19 stone rugger bugger found the front seats uncomfy.

I find I get 33mpg city driving and 45mpg on the long runs. I find the cruise handy for this too. its a nippy car, I moved from a laguna to the GT and found the difference in power very noticable.

Car tax for the diesel is slightly higher as it is 1910cc most of the 1.9's elsewhere (like the laguna) was 1897cc, however i'm open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I do like the GT, however I was out in Blanchardstown recently and stopped in to the Alfa garage there to look at the 159, and i know which I would choose!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

ciarsd wrote:
    Top post Alfasud...many thanks, just the type of feedback I'm looking for!

Has there been any recalls or reliability issues to note? Also, in relation to other diesel engined cars of similar size, is an average of 45MPG comparable? It definitely beats the petrol variants figure across most of the range.

Well I know from reading Alfaowner.com that there are some ECU chip issues from time to time in some GT's but generally my experience of the car being reliable is reported.

Below are links with all the stats for the Alfa Gt 1.9 JTD and its most obvious competitors in the Irish market. Its important when comparing mpg figures to realise that the Alfa JTD engine is a 150bph engine - the most powerful Golf diesel for instance is only 140bph and this model is very rare on Irish roads. So the guy with the 90 bph Golf TDI saying his car does way better mpg isn’t comparing like with like. :)

Alfa 1.9 JTD Sportivo
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=75944520040309&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Attraction
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=42427620050606&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

Golf 2.0 TDI Sportline
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=75930220050512&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002

BMW 320 CD ES Coupe
    http://www.carzone.ie/newcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Details&vehicle_id=716063220050915&strSpecs=SSCIRL2002
    Alfa 1.9 JTD Sportivo €40,495
    Performance: maximum speed (mph): 130, maximum speed (km/h): 209 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 9.6 Power: 110 kW , 150 HP EEC @ 4,000 rpm; , 305 Nm @ 2,000 rpm
    Suspension: Independent wishbone front suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs , independent strut rear suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs
    Fuel consumption: ECE 99/100 urban (l/100km): 8.7, country/highway (l/100km): 5.4 and combined (l/100km): 6.7

Audi A3 2.0 TDI Attraction €33,410
    Performance: maximum speed (mph): 129, maximum speed (km/h): 207 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 9.5 Power: 103 kW , 140 HP EEC @ 4,000 rpm; , 320 Nm @ 1,750 rpm
    Suspension:Independent strut front suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs , independent multi-link rear suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs
    Fuel consumption: ECE 99/100 urban (l/100km): 7.2, country/highway (l/100km): 4.6 and combined (l/100km): 5.5

Golf 2.0 TDI Sportline €30,605
    Performance: maximum speed (mph): 127, maximum speed (km/h): 205 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 9.3 Power: 103 kW , 140 HP EEC @ 4,000 rpm; , 320 Nm @ 1,750 rpm
    Suspension: Independent strut front suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs , independent multi-link rear suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs Sport alternative suspension
    Fuel consumption: ECE 99/100 urban (l/100km): 7.4, country/highway (l/100km): 4.8 and combined (l/100km): 5.7

BMW 320 CD ES Coupe €49,100
    Performance: maximum speed (mph): 135, maximum speed (km/h): 217 and acceleration 0-100 km/h (secs): 9.3 Power: 110 kW , 150 HP DIN @ 4,000 rpm; , 330 Nm @ 2,000 rpm
    Suspension: Independent strut front suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs , independent multi-link rear suspension with anti-roll bar and coil springs
    Fuel consumption: ECE 99/100 urban (l/100km): 10.4, country/highway (l/100km): 5.7 and combined (l/100km): 7.4

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MercMad wrote:
    At least the Alfa does look different, but IMO not different enough, they should've changed the front a bit more, it looks too much like the 156, not that its a bad thing !

I cant get used to the rear end though, its love it or hate it and I'm in the latter cvamp at the mo' !

I think you have hit the nail on the head. When you are looking at it dead on from a few yards away, it could be either a new 156 or 166. I wouldn't mind if it was marketed as a 156 Coupe, like the BMW 3**Ci or something, but it is marketed as a totally different model - so I think it should look a lot more distinctive. Perhaps the face lifted model of the 156 and 166 look too aggressive, and they should have saved it for the GT... As for the back of it, it looks just a little like a hatchback for my taste.

Having said that, I would be quite happy to own one!

Advertisement