Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Broadband

Options
  • 20-12-2005 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am trying to share my broadband connection through my wireless router. But I am having problems.

I have my router; connected to it wired is my XP home and Ripwave Modem (I know I know it's a piece of ****) I have a laptop XP MCE connecting wirelessly.

The problem is the laptop and Desktop won't seem to use the internet connection. I have started from scratch a few times and some times one of the machines will connect but the other won't. When I check the details under the network connections of the machine that connects it has the internet IP address address rather than a local 192. etc.

I have checked under the router's setup thing and i doesn't seem to be recognise that the modem is attached.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I think I have realised what I have done I could just kick myself. I bought a router with an ADSL modem and only a RJ-45(?) WAN port- IBB needs an ethernet WAN port. Fu ck!!! Is there anyway to turn off the router's internet sharing and use XP's at least until after christmas when I can get a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yea, should beable to turn off the DHCP feature of the router and then it works like a switch just forwarding traffic on its ports. Means that your BB modem needs to have a network port on it (RJ45).
    Dont know if yea can use the wireless feature of the router yea got (model number/make?) as a access point, but if yea can, then yea might be ok.
    Might need to set up IPs on machines manually though

Advertisement