Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA Report or Dealer Check

Options
  • 20-12-2005 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Looking a dipping into the used market for a second car nothing fancy just a runaround, probably from the buying and sell or something like that so dont want to get burnt . Anyone know if a dealer will do a check on the car as I heard the AA report is very expensive or better still anyone recommend good a mechanic who does call outs.

Whats the situation with this now to people take Bankers Draft and I can take the car away there and then or is it generally a bank transfer before I can take away the car . Any expertise most helpful??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

I recommend you go with the AA. it is expensive, but I spent €12000 on a car about a year and a bit ago, and got a random mechanic from the yellow pages to check it for me. He gave it two thumbs up without noticing that it was rusted to death underneath as was a Northern Irish car, the brakes were knackered, massive oil leak in the head gasket and an engine mount problem. I put about €3000 into repairing some of it and then sold it for €6k less than a year later, so make sure whoever you use, you;ve got some comeback, and I reckon with the AA you should. Maybe my fault, coz I dont know anything about cars, and I probably should have spotted some of that myself, but sure thats why i got the mechanic........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Cheers for the reply . I was afraid something like that would happen . Thats one of the main negs of buying private . No comeback . Just the horror story i didnt want , probably buy it from a dealer know.

Do prices go down in January by much or do the dealers play hardball and keep them up as there expecting a busy period in January and if they dont sell droo them in Feb,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I was buying a car with a mate recently from aused car forecourt. The car was serviced reasonably regularly by Isaac Agnew's in Belfast. Were we within our rights to ring up Isaac Agnew's and ask if there was anything about the car that we should know.

FYI Isaac Agnew's is the VAG main dealer in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Cheers for the reply . I was afraid something like that would happen . Thats one of the main negs of buying private . No comeback . Just the horror story i didnt want , probably buy it from a dealer know.

Do dealers actually give you any come back? Or are they just someone you can take to court?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Dealers and the AA can be hit and miss. But I used the AA before and thought they were ok. I usually try to get a mechanic that is recommended to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement