Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nice sports car that are insurance friendly

Options
  • 20-12-2005 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Whats a nice sporty looking car thats cheap on insurance thats not a small car nor a family sixed either.

Like a 1.6 engine max but has good looks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

hyundai coupe? toyota celica?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kluivert wrote:
    Whats a nice sporty looking car thats cheap on insurance thats not a small car nor a family sixed either.

Like a 1.6 engine max but has good looks.

I don't know if I should even bother starting the daily alfa thread, but...
    Alfa 147 & 156 both come in 1.6 engines

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Hyundai Coupe, forgot all about that one, its a very nice car alright.

I love the alfa 147 but id be afraid of the reliability issues that the alfa seems to have.

It would be nice to have a sporty car with the big engine, if your someone not looking for performance and at the same time, you dont want a hairdresser car if you know what i mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

mx5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Celica is 1.8... Mx 3 is 1.5........
    Integra 1.5
    H Coupe prob best bet for half decent insurance....
    Not really a sports car but a 316 coupe Bmw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

kluivert wrote:
    Hyundai Coupe, forgot all about that one, its a very nice car alright.

Not bad looking if your into them but a serious lack of power from any ive driven compared to any other 1.6's

106gti or saxo vts too small for you?Civic Sir,mivec colt,toyota levin?

You can pick up a 1.6 integra and there non vtec so insurance is cheap too

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i just got an MGTF and it is amazing only two seats though but boy does it go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

elexes wrote:
    mx5 ?

He's not a hairdresser Ian. :rolleyes:

Or are you?

Are you looking for a specific price range, older car or brand new car?

Engine sizes seem to be creeping up as of late in newer models for example 1.8 MR2's I can't seem to find any bog standard 1.6's anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i think a 1.6 integra or civic.they are also very realible and have good pickup

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

MG F?
    They are a 1.8 VVC, with 160BHP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

layke wrote:

Or are you?

Engine sizes seem to be creeping up as of late in newer models for example 1.8 MR2's I can't seem to find any bog standard 1.6's anywhere.

Because most people haven't a clue about sports cars and dismiss something like a MX5 which is a classic, and want something big and heavy, but fast in a straight line. I guess its so the medalion doesn't swing to much in corners. That with all the extra's that add weight and bloat mean they need big engines to haul all that stuff about.

:rolleyes: indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

layke wrote:

Or are you?

For a 1.6 MR2 you'd be looking back to the Mk1, the Mk2 had a 2 Litre, the Mk3 a 1.8

kluivert wrote:
    Whats a nice sporty looking car thats cheap on insurance ....

Not being smart mate but, the reason insurance is high is "because" its nice and sporty looking. Cars that are boring looking are cheaper to insurance. Not being smart but what you are looking for doesn't really exist. If you polish your car they increase the insurance.

Also define good looking? Its very subjective. What one person likes another doesn't. Do you like the current modded, street racer look? or classic lines like a old E30 BMW or Golf MRk2? Hondas are nice but expensive, and all are loaded because they are a Honda.

Really need some idea of budget...

Squirrel wrote:
    For a 1.6 MR2 you'd be looking back to the Mk1, the Mk2 had a 2 Litre, the Mk3 a 1.8

There were a few Mrk1's for sale last week or two. Can't find them now. The Mr1 is classic. Fantastic handling but pretty old now. The newest one you are going to get it is '91 that 14yrs old. Insurance was never cheap on Mr2's.

There were a few Mrk1's for sale last week or two. Can't find them now. The Mr1 is classic. Fantastic handling but pretty old now. The newest one you are going to get it is '91 that 14yrs old. Insurance was never cheap on Mr2's.

It's not too bad, my dad has a '93 Mk2, in mint condition, I actually mean it, never abused. Insurance is reasonable, then again he is a 51 year old. And no it's not for sale, that wasn't an ad

Squirrel wrote:
    It's not too bad, my dad has a '93 Mk2, in mint condition, I actually mean it, never abused. Insurance is reasonable, then again he is a 51 year old. And no it's not for sale, that wasn't an ad

So your solution is wait till your 50? :D

Something like a warm hatch would probably be best. A Citroen VTS etc. Or get a smart Golf and put the right alloys on it. The 1.6 is nippy enough.

So your solution is wait till your 50? :D

Something like a warm hatch would probably be best. A Citroen VTS etc. Or get a smart Golf and put the right alloys on it. The 1.6 is nippy enough.

Not that, but I ain't complaining. A warm hatch, like a MkIV Golf GTI. For such a heavy car insurance would still be huge probably

Squirrel wrote:
    Not that, but I ain't complaining. A warm hatch, like a MkIV Golf GTI. For such a heavy car insurance would still be huge probably

I think theres a difference to be made, between a car that we think is a warm hatch and what the insurance companies think is a warm hatch. But 2.0, 200bhp, 145mph, 10-62 mph (7.2 seconds) is hardly a warm hatch? :eek:

I think theres a difference to be made, between a car that we think is a warm hatch and what the insurance companies think is a warm hatch. But 2.0, 200bhp, 145mph, 10-62 mph (7.2 seconds) is hardly a warm hatch? :eek:

MkIV, 1.8T. 150BHP is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

He was on about a MK IV - 4

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Squirrel wrote:
    MkIV, 1.8T. 150BHP is it not?

Oops yeah your right. Mixing up the models DOH! :o

Ok that ones warm....:) Nice cruiser to own though. 1.8 > 1.6 though, and its a turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

If you polish your car they increase the insurance.

FFS LOL, thats brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Buy the cheapest most cheaply insured car you can find and then buy a second classic sportscar.As the tax is only €50 (pre 75) and insurance is as low as €150 you'll end up paying out about the same per annum as for any of the above.Minimal if any depreciation, cheap tax, cheap insurance ,€50 vrt and you have a massive choice of genuinely beautifull sportscars and not mundane euroboxes with tiny <2 Ltr engines. If you have the space and can swing a spanner it's gotta be the way to go.

If not my suggestion is the Fiat Coupe of the non turbo variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ivan E

I think you'll be screwed on anything with a 'GTI' or the likes on it. I think the MX-5 is classed as a sports car, so there's probably no chance there.

I think really if you are looking for a sports car within budget, the Hyundai is probably your best bet as you can get it with a 1.6 engine and there isn't any gti, vtec or anything there to cause you trouble.

However anything with coupe might cause an issue too.

Make a list of what you like, what you can afford and then ring the insurance company and see what they will insure you on. A decent quote and you know what to look at. Then ring around and try and get a better quote on that figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Ivan E wrote:
    I think you'll be screwed on anything with a 'GTI' or the likes on it. I think the MX-5 is classed as a sports car, so there's probably no chance there.

I think really if you are looking for a sports car within budget, the Hyundai is probably your best bet as you can get it with a 1.6 engine and there isn't any gti, vtec or anything there to cause you trouble.

However anything with coupe might cause an issue too.

Make a list of what you like, what you can afford and then ring the insurance company and see what they will insure you on. A decent quote and you know what to look at. Then ring around and try and get a better quote on that figure.

Must just point out that the 2 newer models (well the newest 1 only had minor facelift) hyundai coupe has a weird driving position (Like an old ford capri with the high up clutch but if the capri made you sit too high up instead of nearly on the floor:) ) and is real hard to see out of. it's also rather big which is a bad combination. The 1.6 is slower than a snail through treacle as well. nice looking though. drove a 2.7 V6 version in america with full leather bucket seats etc and it was well fast for a standard car.
    Many people will give out now but i'll say it anyway, not particularly fast but great fun and quite eyecatching----
    A Ford Capri 1.6 (a later 5 speed model).
    Good fun cars and looks nice. Was a real medallion mans car now in it's day but why not play it up now for a laugh with some furry dice and an open necked shirt just for a laugh. Loads of parts made for them still and loads of really good sensible upgrades available. Not bad for insurance anymore. AS i said they're not that fast but do drive very nicely in a proper old school Rear wheel drive way and can sit at 80mph happily on the motorway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

mx5. One of the few modern affordable cars that can be classed as a "sports car".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

mx5. One of the few modern affordable cars that can be classed as a "sports car".

Is everyone obsessed with mx5's? They do drive nicely but to me they look like one of those water cars you see in spy movies, in fact i think there is an amphibian version made by someone. They're a bit small (well, really small) too. I'd hate to ever have a crash in one because the damn things, gast and nimble as they may be, are about 4 foot long (ok exaggeration but still pretty tiny)

Con_316 wrote:
    Is everyone obsessed with mx5's? They do drive nicely but to me they look like one of those water cars you see in spy movies, in fact i think there is an amphibian version made by someone. They're a bit small (well, really small) too. I'd hate to ever have a crash in one because the damn things, gast and nimble as they may be, are about 4 foot long (ok exaggeration but still pretty tiny)

You'd hate a lotus elise...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

A 316i coupe. What else.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

god not a bmw 316i overweight and boring to drive

Advertisement