Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nice sports car that are insurance friendly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

A Mk1 Toyota MR2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Con_316 wrote:
    Is everyone obsessed with mx5's? They do drive nicely but to me they look like one of those water cars you see in spy movies, in fact i think there is an amphibian version made by someone.
    No obsession here. The request was for a sports car that was cheap to insure, and nothing fits the bill like an MX5. The Ford capri is NOT a sports car. Nor is the Golf (any version). A 316 coupe certainly isn't.
    I disagree about the looks about the MX5 - just because it doesn't have a spoiler like Jay Leno's chin doesn't make it look like a boat. They are a perfectly proportioned car.
    They're a bit small (well, really small) too. I'd hate to ever have a crash in one because the damn things, gast and nimble as they may be, are about 4 foot long (ok exaggeration but still pretty tiny)
    Small is good. In a sports car, small is very good.

I'd hate to have a crash in any car. You are as likely to survive a 50mph impact in a hummer as you are in an MX5 - i.e. not at all likely. The trick is not to crash - if the mx5 occupies half the road space of say, a Merc S class - you are half as likely to be hit by someone else. It's harder to hit a small fast moving and nimble target. If you drive into something or lose control, it doesn't matter what kind of car you are driving, you're the problem in that you have been driving beyond your capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Squirrel wrote:
    MkIV, 1.8T. 150BHP is it not?

There's even a 2.0 non turbo version with just 115bhp. Now that was a disgrace to the GTi name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

TCP/IP wrote:
    god not a bmw 316i overweight and boring to drive

In fairness its underpowered for the weight, but they are nice to drive. But hard to find a clean one thats not been max pooowweerred. Maybe thats what you want though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

why is everyone banging on about mx-5's??? there not bad motors sweet handling but they are not cheap to insure..its a convertible are they not loaded????
    The toyota levin is a lovely car to drive and fast enough as 1600's go..i dont know what they are like to insure..but they have a sweet 20v engine that loves revs and decent ride to...integra's are hard to beat but very solid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

The levins and integras are expensive to buy and insure. I would be worried about getting parts for them, especially the levin.

Advertisement