Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question of Caliber

Options
  • 20-12-2005 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a rifle in the next year as I feel a handgun is too much hassle. I don't want to shoot deer so I was wondering what would be a very versatile caliber that would have long range accuracy (mix of fox shooting and targets) as well as comfort of shooting and price of ammo. I'd prefer a full bore as I all ready have a high powered air rifle in .22

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭scout

.17hmr cheap and fairly accurate
    wiil suposidly take a fox at 150+ yards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i was thinking more along the lines of a .22 swift or a 22-250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Nema

Vegeta wrote:
    I am thinking of buying a rifle in the next year as I feel a handgun is too much hassle. I don't want to shoot deer so I was wondering what would be a very versatile caliber that would have long range accuracy (mix of fox shooting and targets) as well as comfort of shooting and price of ammo. I'd prefer a full bore as I all ready have a high powered air rifle in .22

Cheap and Accuracy dont go togetter !!!

A good round for fox and cheap would be a .22 Swift or a .223 ( Aka 5.56)
    If you want something that has super accuracy it has to be the 6.5x284 but thats not one bit cheap. YOu can get a 6.5x55 they are A great round i use it myself!

Im selling my Sako 75 6.5x55 with Scope, BiPOD, Carrying Case and 5 Gun Safe send me a PM! all brand new BTW

would the .223 be considered only a deer round, as in I wont get a license for it as I have no use for it other than shooting deer. Yeah I wouldnt't mind a .22 swift with varmint barrel and a thumbhole stock.

Sorry Nema I have a sako 75 .270 with bipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Vegeta,
    Things seem to be getting a little confusing here, you are searching for info on .22 swift and .223, generally looking for info on moving into full-bore shooting. It seems clear that you already possess an air rifle, then you tell us that you already have one of the bigger caliber rifles (sako 75 .270) already?
    WTF? Something seems a little wrong here, or is it that you dont consider the .270 as a fullbore? All of your posts dont seem to be lining up, or amI missing something ??
    :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Chopperdog wrote:
    Vegeta,
    Things seem to be getting a little confusing here, you are searching for info on .22 swift and .223, generally looking for info on moving into full-bore shooting. It seems clear that you already possess an air rifle, then you tell us that you already have one of the bigger caliber rifles (sako 75 .270) already?
    WTF? Something seems a little wrong here, or is it that you dont consider the .270 as a fullbore? All of your posts dont seem to be lining up, or amI missing something ??
    :confused::confused::confused:

Yes I have a .270 (licensed for deer) and .22 air rifle and I want something to bridge the two. A full bore rifle without the hassle of applying for a deer license. So i can practice my full bore shooting without spending about 1.50 every time I fire a shot. The .270 I have isn't the most pleasant of rifles to shoot/practice with. OK i think that clears it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

All good with me now Veg,
    Seemed a massive jump from air rifle to the big .270. My apologies !!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd be suggesting the .223 too.
    It's not a legal deer round in this country!

As you probably know, a lightweight handy rifle ideal for foxing will not be the best thing at the 1000 yard line, and a full bells 'n whistles 1000 yard rifle is not the sort of thing you'd want to be lugging around the fields.

Unless you know you're going to be very serious about the long range paper punching, I'd be opting for a compromise that's biased towards the hunting side. Something in a medium/heavy barrelled varminter perhaps; might be a bit of a chore to carry in the field (but not impossible), and it'd be more than adequate at the range too.

The .223 comes in a bewildering variety of flavours, from cheap 'n cheerful FMJ at under a tenner a box, to full on fancy pants hunting and target rounds at €40+ a box.

Rovi wrote:
    I'd be suggesting the .223 too.
    It's not a legal deer round in this country!

As you probably know, a lightweight handy rifle ideal for foxing will not be the best thing at the 1000 yard line, and a full bells 'n whistles 1000 yard rifle is not the sort of thing you'd want to be lugging around the fields.

Unless you know you're going to be very serious about the long range paper punching, I'd be opting for a compromise that's biased towards the hunting side. Something in a medium/heavy barrelled varminter perhaps; might be a bit of a chore to carry in the field (but not impossible), and it'd be more than adequate at the range too.

The .223 comes in a bewildering variety of flavours, from cheap 'n cheerful FMJ at under a tenner a box, to full on fancy pants hunting and target rounds at €40+ a box.

Sounds perfect you hit the nail on the head there, I don't want it to be a serious target weapon; a compromise like you said would be perfect. I never mind the weight of a gun, i see it as a bit of exercise if its heavy.

Will look into .223 rifles so, any advice here??

Chopperdog wrote:
    All good with me now Veg,
    Seemed a massive jump from air rifle to the big .270. My apologies !!!:)

No hassle man I see what you were saying, it helped me iron out what I really want this for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

Vegeta wrote:
    a serious target weapon; a

If you are looking for a “weapon” you could look it www.military.ie or http://www.foreignlegionlife.com/chapter1.htm#wheretojoin
    I believe there might even give you free clothes and food.
    If not I am sure there are several firearms dealer out there that would sell you a firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vegeta wrote:
    Sounds perfect you hit the nail on the head there, I don't want it to be a serious target weapon; a compromise like you said would be perfect. I never mind the weight of a gun, i see it as a bit of exercise if its heavy.

Will look into .223 rifles so, any advice here??
    Pretty much all the manufacturers do rifles in .223.

Here are a few variations on the 'Varminter' theme-

CZ 527 VARMIT Kevlar
    cz527kevlar7qm.jpg
    http://www.czub.cz/index.php?p=32&idp=3&ids=9&idz=185〈=en

Remington Model 700 VS SF II
    lgsil_700vssf2.jpg
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_VS_SF_II_specs.asp

Ruger
    M77 Mark II Target
    77H.gif
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7890&return=Y

Sako 75 Varmint Laminated Stainless
    Varmintlamstainless.jpg
    http://www.sako.fi/sako75_vamint_laminated.html

Savage
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Model 12 Varminter Low Profile[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    12Varminter.jpg
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminter.htm

Tikka
    [/FONT]
    T3 Varmint Stainless
    varmint.gif
    http://www.tikka.fi/rifles_varmint_stainless.php

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Winchester [/FONT]Model 70 Brown Laminated

535956m.jpg
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=535&type_id=956&cat=001C

Etc, etc, etc.

.22LR excepted , there is probably more variety available in .223 than any other calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Or if you can persuade your super...

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/pcwvms20ah.asp

pcwvms20.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

Why would you need to persuade your Super for the above rifle? I still spits out the same lead as all the other rifles posted above, just because it looks more like an assault rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Riggser

AZ-C15P21.jpg

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/Carbon15/az-c15p21.asp

This on the other hand would require a very liberal Super.

civdef wrote:

I have actually fired one of these or its relatives in America this summer, very shooter friendly it has to be said.

I would love one of the Tika rifles but price is not on my side

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Riggser wrote:
    Why would you need to persuade your Super for the above rifle? I still spits out the same lead as all the other rifles posted above, just because it looks more like an assault rifle.
    Is that a straight-pull bolt-action or the normal semi-auto version?

edit: Ah, semi-auto. Hence the not-so-nervous superintendent (it's a bit harder to get a slam-fire on a bolt-action .223...) being a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Why not go for a 243 or a 6.5 Sewedish Mauser?[Considerd by some as the Rolls royce of mausers]Pretty cheap and accurate for a turnbolt,and you can customise to your hearts content. 243 would seem to fit what you want as a bridging calibre,with a little more oomph for hunting.
    If you wan a AR15 type rifle maybe keep an eye on the new 6.8 calibre.It is supposedly going to replace the 223 mouse calibre,as it will apprently fit the 223 mags,bolts etc,just change out the barrel.
    Slam fire a semi auto rifle?Dont expect much accuracy,my dad told me it was a common trick with the GIs in the pacific to get a somwhat full auto fire from their Garands and it is easily done with a shoe lace.Or simply get an old Winchester 1897 pump.
    The AR15 pistol,really shouldnt be any problem to get here either,as it is a pistol.[Onto which you can add many things,to turn it into a rifle:D ]

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Slam fire a semi auto rifle?Dont expect much accuracy,my dad told me it was a common trick with the GIs in the pacific to get a somwhat full auto fire from their Garands and it is easily done with a shoe lace.
    Well, that's deliberate slam-firing, I was more thinking of an unintentional slamfire when you're not expecting it, and the consequent perhaps-not-so-well-aimed shot or two that might result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sparks wrote:
    Well, that's deliberate slam-firing, I was more thinking of an unintentional slamfire when you're not expecting it, and the consequent perhaps-not-so-well-aimed shot or two that might result!

Pretty difficult to slam fire a closed bolt design semi.Especially the AR semi types. Unless there is somthing majorily[?] wrong with the internals.In that case read bad sear engagement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement