Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AGP to PCI conveter.Is it real?

Options
  • 20-12-2005 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi there peeps,
    ok,2day was my birthday,and for the last few weeks,iv been hinting to my mom to get a graphics card i saw in PC world(it was a 256 MB,only 129 euro,i think its a geforce fx 6200,its from the 6 series).now,that i got it,iv just learned something crap.....its AGP but i dont have a AGP slot on my motherboard(my fault,i should had checked if it was PCI or not).

my friend said that there was something u could for ur motherboard that it plugs into a PCI slot and acts as a AGP slot(think of it as a AGP to PCI converter)i want to know if such a thing is real or not.plz help as i cant return the card(it was brought a few weeks ago and is now opend).

thx for reading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I remember reading about one made by some Japanese company a while ago but I doubt it'd be easy to get your hands on one, and they're probably not cheap either. Besides, you would be restricting your card unreasonably by forcing it to use the PCI bus, and if your motherboard is old enough to not have any AGP slots then chances are that the bottleneck in your system would be elsewhere, and your geforce6 would go to waste. Plus, those geforces are fairly big - even if you could find a converter, it would take up extra room between the slot and the card and you mightn't be able to fit the card in your machine at all!

I think your best bet is to return the card, get a PCI geforce5 (the last series available in PCI afaik), and spend the extra money on hookers and booze. Or I suppose you could use it to save up for a new motherboard either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You culd always try and trade it here on boards or even go and buy an asrock m/b(Has slots for agp and pci cards)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

scobby wrote:
    Hi there peeps,
    (it was a 256 MB,only 129 euro,i think its a geforce fx 6200

Lordy... a 6200... This is why model numbers can be so evil.
    If you'd checked the net (Komplett) first, you'd see that:
    • AGP Geforce 6200's cost 82euro link
    • An inferior PCI FX5200 is 99euro link
    Sucks you got conned by PC World, mate

Advertisement