Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When Everything is Permitted

• 20-12-2005 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

I thought this article was well written and wanted to share it! Suppose it fits the Christianity forum as well, but...

When Everything is Permitted
    Wolfhart Pannenberg

Copyright (c) 1998 First Things 80 (February 1998): 26-30.

It is a striking oddity of our modern circumstance that the subject of morality and ethics is assumed to be a matter of public significance, while the subject of God is thought to be an esoteric matter of interest to theologians and "people who go in for that sort of thing." It was not always so, and it is very much worth asking how we arrived at this present circumstance, and what might be done about it.

Today's public talk about moral values is usually framed in terms of a search for a moral consensus that is no longer self-evident--indeed that to many people is not evident at all. The search for a moral consensus based on a common human nature has, for some time now, replaced the social function of religious belief, which was long thought to be the indispensable foundation of social peace. For most of history, unity of religion was deemed essential to the unity of society and culture. That assumption was shattered in the religious wars in Europe of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. As a consequence of the wars of religion, precisely the opposite conclusion was drawn: Social peace requires that religious beliefs, and disagreements over religious beliefs, be determinedly disregarded. Although established religion continued for some time in most of Europe, religion no longer served its earlier function. In the place of religion, concepts of human nature became fundamental in theories of society and public culture.

Rest...:http://www.firstthings.com/ftissues/ft9802/articles/pannenberg.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I ran into someone useing a method before. Apparently an attempt to 'fix' me. Fix my moral values no less, I did'nt know at the time, I just wanted a fight. But I found I learned somthing by fighting. Thanks to the method ofcource. So I kept it up.
    I learned more and more by fighting. Until I built up an entire knowledge system, all by myself.
    And got trapped in it. But, alas, more help was at hand, I got 'fixed' again by someone useing a differnt type of method, a new sort of method. Crucified. Set free. Now my head feels like it's hemoraging. A bull with a sore head in the china shop of my mind. A burnt offering to their Gods. The Gods of the Philistines.

The God of Isreal is really, really, pissed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement