Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Setup : No HD detected

• 20-12-2005 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭

I'm currently setting up a machine on XP home edition.
    The hard drive is a western digital 250 GB on SATA.

I hit F6 and "specify additional adaptors" - insert the floppy disk i got with the motherboard. 3 Items come up in the list:

Install VIA smartX bus driver
    Install VIA smartX port driver
    Install VIA smartX raid driver

I choose all 3 and continue with the installation.
    eventually it gets to the screen past Windows setup and says
    "Windows cannot detect any hard drive...."

I also tried loading one at a time with the same result.
    Has anyone got any ideas? Im really stuck :[

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

This when installing?
    When setup is launching, you need to hut F6 when its says, supply additional scsi raid controller drivers, or something to that effect. Are you doing that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Lydesia

This when installing?
    When setup is launching, you need to hut F6 when its says, supply additional scsi raid controller drivers, or something to that effect. Are you doing that?

I most certainly am. :]

Does the HD show up in BIOS?

What should it appear under?
    I though SATA's did not appear in the BIOS.

They do, should be under HD boot order anyway. Depends on the BIOS. Also, you need to make sure the SATA controller is turned on. Sometimes they don't be.
    What mobo is it?
    If you have alink to the manual i'll look at it and help you through.

• Advertisement

The SATA controller...oo how do i turn that on?

This is the MB : http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306361

An ABIT. I just checked the connections there, it is hooked up right, to SATA port 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ok if its any thing like the last a-bit i had, you're going to have to switch off the raid option if you have just one drive, for the drive to seen as normal sata.

What drivers do i install then? Thx for the input

Page 3 -18 of the manual shows you where the option is. It's a bit hidden.

Cool. I checked that on the BIOS and it is enabled.

What to do now.......Do you have MSN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just switch off the raid option, you should have no problems then. quick question is the hd sata or sata2.

Nevermind just saw the board spec. sata you should be fine now, once the hd shows on bios, xp will pick it up.

Where would the SATA show up in the BIOS...all i can see is IDE connections coming up. I left out the RAID driver but i got the same error.

Just switch off the raid option, you should have no problems then. quick question is the hd sata or sata2.

Nevermind just saw the board spec. sata you should be fine now, once the hd shows on bios, xp will pick it up.
    Not if you only have a sata drive, and yyour installing to it, unless you have the drivers slipstreamed.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sata drives show up as Ide in the bios

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

SATA, RAID and various BIOS settings are very non-standard in the way that systems recognise them. Sometimes a good read of the manual is helpful (not always however) but if you cannot detect the SATA in the BIOS (or in a separte Controller BIOS screen with a keyboard prompt) its no good installing the drivers in the early part of a Windows Installation.

The situation is fluid and some, but by no means all, SATA drives may be identified as IDE drives in the BIOS. When this is the case there should be no need for the "F6 drivers install" since the system should have been "fooled" into believing that the SATA is in fact a PATA.

If no drive is appearing in any BIOS then recheck the connections and maybe even try another data cable.

Disconnect any PATAs and try checking with the maker's diagnostic utility on a boot floppy or CD if you still cannot "find" the drive anywhere.

Advertisement