Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points Question

Options
  • 20-12-2005 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I was caught for speeding on 24th Sept '05. Paid my €80 fine that day and got a receipt of payment for the fine.

My letter from the Department of Transport arrived in the door today 20th Dec '05. Only a few months late :rolleyes:

Anyway, according to the letter my points will remain on my licence for 3 years from 16th Jan '06 :eek:

The Garda I was talking to the day I paid my fine said the points should be issued to the licence from the day of payment.

If I get in touch with the Dept Trans or my Garda Station can I get my points started from 24th Sept '05. It will cut a few months of the 3 year period

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats nutziod. The points should obviously begin from the date of the offence, we often hear how criminals have thier remand period taken into account when being sentenced, well what about drivers?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 yer wan

This happened to me two years ago and I tried to argue this very point but I was told by the Gardai that there was nothing I could do about it and so it's not three years but really three and a half. Yet another swizz by the govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I was stopped in July, points applied in December - it's a f-in joke :mad:

I was also told that the points would be appllied almost immediately when I was paying the fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

this happened to me 2 times,but i wouldnot be bothered wasting my time to bring it back to the orginal date of 2-3 months.as u know the government ,its not guarnteed to happen.

anyway good luck and tell us how u get on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Rabies wrote:
    my points will remain on my licence for 3 years from 16th Jan '06

So unfair :mad:

The points should only remain for 3 years from the date of the offence. What's the fecking problem with the system?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

well don't worry about it, i mean you don't officially receive the points until you get letter from Dept. of Transport so between July and December it didnt affect you whatsoever cos it was "in process"

But yeah tis a pain alright, I'm still waiting on mine from speeding fine in august!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Savman wrote:
    well don't worry about it, i mean you don't officially receive the points until you get letter from Dept. of Transport so between July and December it didnt affect you whatsoever cos it was "in process"

But yeah tis a pain alright, I'm still waiting on mine from speeding fine in august!
    But it has taken them 3 months to send the letter. Now they want to wait another month before the points are applied to my licence.

There probably is no point calling them until after the new year. Probably closing down in the next day or so.

Wasting your time, they see you as the offender so they'll take their time, but let's know how you get on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yes its a waste of time complaining !

Anyway it states that the points will remain for 3 years ...........and they do, its not 3 1/2 years !

Still the point is that some of the Insurance Companies ask if you have points or points pending and this DOES affect your insurance !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hmm.. this has got me thinking.. I have no points myself but...

Say you get caught speeding in January, and you pay the fine
    You get your letter in say... March, saying your points will be applied in June.
    Now, just suppose your insurance renewal was up in April, and they ask you "Have you any penalty points on your license"

What do you say to them?*

* Just an example, luckily I have no points myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hmm.. this has got me thinking.. I have no points myself but...

Say you get caught speeding in January, and you pay the fine
    You get your letter in say... March, saying your points will be applied in June.
    Now, just suppose your insurance renewal was up in April, and they ask you "Have you any penalty points on your license"

What do you say to them?*

* Just an example, luckily I have no points myself

You would obviously say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

well most companies ask if you have any points or have any points pending.

At the end of the day,your gonna get the points, you were caught speeding so you deserve the points 3 months isnt that much realy. just be thankfull you wern't in more trouble.
    I know its a pain in the arse but get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

john id say no as they are not fully on ur licence from the day of renewal.:D (i've got 6)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

drdre wrote:
    john id say no as they are not fully on ur licence from the day of renewal.:D (i've got 6)

6... ouch! As I said, I dont have any myself, it was just something that came up in my head

drdre wrote:

how in the hell did you get 6 penalty points?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Baldie

If your caught speeding, and when you go in to pay the fine and ask the garda for a pring out of the speed you were doing and they can't produce one, what happens next? Can you get away with not paying the fine and not getting the points on the basis that there was no proof that you were speeding?
    A mate of mine was caught doing 91km/h in a 60km/h zone by a garda with a jeep. He doesn't know if there was a computer in the jeep. He was on a dual carriage way and the limit dropped to 60km/h. He was caught about 500m into the 60km/h zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I was caught 'speeding' (doing 41mph in a 30 which is a dualer!!) in April and I didn't get them on licence until November. :rolleyes:

Question: if a guard sees you shooting somebody or committing murder, do you think you will "get off" simply because he didn't take a photo of you doing it?

:rolleyes: x10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Question: if a guard sees you shooting somebody or committing murder, do you think you will "get off" simply because he didn't take a photo of you doing it?

thats depends on the weight of all the evidence. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

mike65 wrote:
    Thats nutziod. The points should obviously begin from the date of the offence, we often hear how criminals have thier remand period taken into account when being sentenced, well what about drivers?

Mike.

That's a poor comparison Mike65. A prisoner in remand is, in effect, in custody and that is why it is taken into account. If you have points pending you are still technically 'points-free'. It's irrelevant when they are applied as the penalised period will be the same.

• Advertisement

It's almost like they do it on purpose..."oh well if he wants to speed his way around the roads, we won't "speed" our way thru processing his points...that'll learn him :D "

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I was caught there last march with the camera near the spa hotel. Paid the fine but to this day have not got the letter to say points have gone on my licence. Is it possible for them not to bother putting points on the licence, was only doing about 8 or 9 miles over limit.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

well most companies ask if you have any points or have any points pending.
    I have not been asked about points by any insurer except Hibernian or its re-sellers as these are the only ones who can verify the points.

Advertisement