Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the story with Boy Racers

Options
  • 20-12-2005 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I never get this

All these guys who buy crappy micras etc with 1l engines, then think that if they stick a loud exhaust on it, some allows, big Micra stickers and some tints that then they have a happening car which is fast!

I feel sorry for these losers. Why not save up for a car that actually is half decent

And why do they always accelerate as fast as they can and drive like loonies!

I find it sad tho coz in my 2l 165bhp alfa I could just touch the accelerator and say bye bye on the motorway

Why do they feel they need to drive like that? I think its an inferiority complex, they kno they cant afford the insurane on a REAL sports car so just mod a cheap car and drive like ****

I dont need to take off first at the lights coz I KNOW I have a decent car and that I can leave these fools smellin my exhaust fumes, I dont need to prove it

Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

hmmmmmm its all got to do with the fact that these are young blokes and girls they want to go fast but insurance as i'm sure you know is through the roof in this country so they get insured on a 998cc micra cheaper than a galanza or a gt starlet. tart it up to there own taste, i havent got a problem with it really as long as there not hurting anybody in the prosess whats the harm.

Only thing i do have a problem with is the fact that they speed around estates, but the person who lives in blackrock and driving a s class or a 320 beemer are just as likely to speed than the person in the tarted up micra.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If this is a troll you're on the wrong forum, ppl here are dedicated modifiers not boy racers (honest!). ;)

The loud exhaust thing pisses me off, tonight I was just about to get in my car for home when two low-slung Japanese models went past on the road, you could hear then for miles (in the countryside) but the thing was they were doing about 100 kph tops!

All show...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

some of the modified cars look good but not micras,these guys just have the money to buy nicer cars and also they cannot afford the high insurance.its alright that u have a micra but just donot do them up.they look knackery with the underneath neons and the stupid exhausts with a hole pierced in it to make it louder.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

RealCar wrote:
    I never get this

All these guys who buy crappy micras etc with 1l engines, then think that if they stick a loud exhaust on it, some allows, big Micra stickers and some tints that then they have a happening car which is fast!

I feel sorry for these losers. Why not save up for a car that actually is half decent

I find it sad tho coz in my 2l 165bhp alfa I could just touch the accelerator and say bye bye on the motorway

Why do they feel they need to drive like that? I think its an inferiority complex, they kno they cant afford the insurane on a REAL sports car so just mod a cheap car and drive like ****

I dont need to take off first at the lights coz I KNOW I have a decent car and that I can leave these fools smellin my exhaust fumes, I dont need to prove it

Anyone else agree?

Cause theyre w4nkers lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats a good one john.:D
    this what happends to boy racers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

RealCar wrote:
    I never get this

Anyone else agree?

Did you have your ****ty alfa when you were 18 or 19, how can someone in college say afford a 2.0 litre alfa and insure it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cool it, maybe his daddy is rich. Also if you suspect a troll, don't feed it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

f**cking alfa's are made by fiat!! look at the second hand value on them they are balls of dirt why don't you check with a mechanic or some one who knows about cars cos you ovibously don't have a clue.. and if you think im judging you by the car you drive you'd be right...why are you slagging of young lads who are just starting out why does it bother you so much..everyone was young once not everyone can afford insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RealCar

I know that young people cant afford cars that are expensive, my first car was a 10 year old corrola which was worth 1000 quid

However I did not tint the windows, put alloys and a loud exhaust and sound system on it and then go odrivin around like a lunatic to try and prove somethin to my mates

My problem with these guys is that most of them drive around like madmen, taking off as fast as they can at lights and speeding

How do i know this is true? Accident statistics show that these are the people that are most likely to be involved in accidents

The real indications of this are the insurance companies: insurance is so high for this age group because these are the high risk drivers: remember insurance companies are tryin to make a profit, they employ actuaries high salaries to come up with this stuff so I will believe them on this one

You rarely see someone in a suped up car drivin safely and that may be a generalisation but i think it is true and ask most people and they will agree with that

BTW I aint a troll just have an opinion

And if you start talkin childishly bout alfas and how they are **** it obviously means you dont have a real point to make

My point by mentioning the alfa is that I dont feel the need to drive around like a loony to prove anything yet these guys in there suped up cars do

BTW ferrari is also made by fiat, does that mean ferraris are crap? Most of the cars in the world are made my 3 main companies so that point is just a load of crap. You have just showed mate that you know nothin about cars. Lambos are made by audi now, does that mean that they are a borin german car? What about masserati? Jags are just fords, lexus just toyota!

Get your facts right mate!

And btw old alfas have a bad rep, but since the 156 came out reliability has improved in leaps and bounds, and if alfas are so crap, why did both the 156 and 147 win numerous awards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Firstly i think that toffeeapple should get a round of applause for telling us that "f**cking alfa's are made by fiat!!!" (I would never have known that)

If you go to www.caroftheyear.org you will see that Fiat have won car of the year in 84, 89, 95, 96, 98 - being Alfa 156) and 04 with the panda. So why come out with a statement that "Fiat are ***t??"

Top Gear cannot praise the panda enough - made by Fiat!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

ferrari is owned by fiat they do not share any parts with fiat/alfa same with maserati who share parts /engines with ferrari.....thats getting of the point anyway..the reason i was slagging your car is to make the point that everyone one is different we all like different motors or can afford different motors..i used to own an alfa 33 1.7 cloverleaf..was a laugh to drive(po*y offset pedals but)..i dont hate alfa's at all trying to make a point with you...this is a forum about modified motors what kind of reaction did you think you where going to receive

Again I stress is that my main point is that most who drive these cars drive dangerously and are involved in a lot of accidents, I dont mind this, however I do mind if its an innocent person who gets knoked down by these fools

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

RealCar wrote:
    Again I stress is that my main point is that most who drive these cars drive dangerously and are involved in a lot of accidents, I dont mind this, however I do mind if its an innocent person who gets knoked down by these fools
    How many of the people who crash have a full license?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

drdre wrote:
    thats a good one john.:D
    this what happends to boy racers.:D

that aint even got anything modifyed, not even a custom exhaust. how the hell can you say boy racers.....or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Skalragg

I know that young people cant afford cars that are expensive, my first car was a 10 year old corrola which was worth 1000 quid

However I did not tint the windows, put alloys and a loud exhaust and sound system on it and then go odrivin around like a lunatic to try and prove somethin to my mates

My problem with these guys is that most of them drive around like madmen, taking off as fast as they can at lights and speeding

How do i know this is true? Accident statistics show that these are the people that are most likely to be involved in accidents

The real indications of this are the insurance companies: insurance is so high for this age group because these are the high risk drivers: remember insurance companies are tryin to make a profit, they employ actuaries high salaries to come up with this stuff so I will believe them on this one

You rarely see someone in a suped up car drivin safely and that may be a generalisation but i think it is true and ask most people and they will agree with that

BTW I aint a troll just have an opinion

And if you start talkin childishly bout alfas and how they are **** it obviously means you dont have a real point to make

My point by mentioning the alfa is that I dont feel the need to drive around like a loony to prove anything yet these guys in there suped up cars do

BTW ferrari is also made by fiat, does that mean ferraris are crap? Most of the cars in the world are made my 3 main companies so that point is just a load of crap. You have just showed mate that you know nothin about cars. Lambos are made by audi now, does that mean that they are a borin german car? What about masserati? Jags are just fords, lexus just toyota!

Get your facts right mate!

And btw old alfas have a bad rep, but since the 156 came out reliability has improved in leaps and bounds, and if alfas are so crap, why did both the 156 and 147 win numerous awards?
    OMG, ok wait, hold up bud,

your saying u rarely see soemone in a suped up car driving safe ....ok,listen, i know tons of people with modified cars,i go on cruises and car meets, but its generally rich businessmen who act the maggit on the roads, eg. i was in a guys honda integra r-type 1.8litre, completely done up. we were driving behind a toyota supra 3.0litre on dual carraigeway doing 100kmph which is the limit, and an unbelieveable amount of cars were flying past us.
    they werent micras with load exhausts (i have yet to see anyone ever soup up a nissan micra just for the record)it was businessmen in their 30s to 40s speeding by in their alfas, toyota avensis's, volvos,
    yeah there are a small purtion of muppets out there who waste their cahs modifying a heap of crap
    however people who spend absolute thousands on their cars,like integras, preludes,skylines,supras. bellive me they arent going to drivee the crap out of it,the last thing they want is for it to be damaged,cause they spend every spare cent they have on the car,
    a large portion dont drink or do smoke casue simply they are spending enough money on the cars as it is, its a hobby and a social life for them

another thing which makes your whole post in my opinion wrong,is you saying that young people in modifyed cars are the most liekly to have accidents,and its a fact and there are statitics. WRONG
    yes young people are involved in more accidents, but the majority of them are provisional drivers who are learning, not poeple with load exhausts,so stop making up Sh!t just so u can get your incorrect views accross

i dont hear you bitching about older drivers drink driving, cause lets understand soemthing, you are using idiotic generalising to paint a picture about all car modifiers, and stereotypically males over 30 are the majority of people getting busted for drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

RealCar wrote:

?

Can you not distinguish the difference between a modifyer and a boy racer?If your problem is with peoples attitudes on the road or there driving ability then address it as that,just dont be so quick to tar all owners with the same brush

Id also like to see these statistics you speak of,while your at it see if you can find any for middle aged drunk drivers too - i wonder which is higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

They obviously just want to make the car personal! Leave them off they aren't doing you any harm!! Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean that all the young people who do it are wrong!!

Ok, I thought this thread was about how you hate the way young people drive around in suped up micras thinking they are cool??
    Now your saying that statistics show that people in micras with tinted windows and loud exhausts are more likely to be involved in accidents! :rolleyes: Were you trying to say that young people in general are more likely to be involved in accidents???
    Most people forget that the majority of people on the road are young male drivers, of course there are going to be more accidents involving young male drivers!

Bull****, Bull****, Bull****! Yes there are some skangers around who think they are from the fast and the furious with their micras & fiestas with tinted windows and go faster stickers!! What people fail to realise is that the people with the fastest cars and the most modified motors are probably the safest drivers around... because they love their cars & they look after them!

In future put some thought into your threads! Serious you just came across as a right little twat who just doesn't have a clue about modified motors... or anything in general for that matter!

Man o Man

I wish people would get their facts straight

As someone who works in connection with the insurance industry, I would like to clarify for Corkie that young males(which in general in the industry is considered to be 18-24) do NOT make up the majority of drivers. Which makes sense considering most cannot afford the exorbitant insurance premiums at this age

Next young males do make up the majority of car accidents, and another point that those in modified cars are disproportionately represented in this group ie they are a higher risk

BTW these are ACTUAL facts, not just someones opinion

My conclusion from this has been that these guys in modded cars drive dangerously, this would also fit with my own personal views from experience of seein the wayy these guys drive the cars that they are dangerous drivers

I am afraid Corkie that the facts speak for themselves, I am only giving my opinion on the facts. And again I dont care if these guys drive dangerously and put themselves in a wheelchair, if they bring someone along for the ride tho ie an innocent bystander then I think it is disgusting that an innocent person loses their life just become some guy with a small manhood is tryin to prove to his sad mates he can drive like Schuey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

Actually if you look at the statistics.. you'll be suprised to find that women are involved in more accidents ( just less expensive accidents). Its most likely that you've just been brainwashed into this stereo type by expensive ad campaigns funded by the Motor insurance industry to justify the exorbitant premiums they like to charge young male drivers..

To get back to your point, not a fan of 'tarted' up micras either, but I can understand why they do it.. Insurance companies won't allow them to buy a 'real' car...

ModMan

I am very aware that women are involved in more accidents, but women tend to crash into parked cars, and knock wing mirrors off in the carpark

Most people arent really interested in these statistics as they dont really interest anyone as no-one gets hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question to the dude who works in in connection with the insurance industry: do many people register their nice bits on the insurance? And if so, does the insurance go up by much? And how many of them that don't get in accidents?

the_syco wrote:
    Question to the dude who works in the insurance company: do many people register their nice bits on the insurance? And if so, does the insurance go up by much?

I told my insurance company that I have Chrome wheels on the car, they said it didnt matter, but got it in writing to be safe.. no change to premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

RealCar wrote:
    ModMan

I am very aware that women are involved in more accidents, but women tend to crash into parked cars, and knock wing mirrors off in the carpark

Most people arent really interested in these statistics as they dont really interest anyone as no-one gets hurt

Well statistics are often mis-used by the Insurance industry to paint an image of all young drivers as "the root of evil" on our roads..

For example, they used to quote a statistic on a television ad saying that young male drivers were responsible for "50% of all accidents" this sounds pretty terrible when taken in this context as young drivers only represent 10% of the driving population. The bit they conveniently left out was " of all the accidents they are involved in". So a 50/50 chance of being responsible for an accident.. not so bad... So don't believe all the Stero-types you hear.. As the motives for them aren't always in the interest of Safety...

Mod_Man wrote:
    Well statistics are often mis-used by the Insurance industry to paint an image of all young drivers as "the root of evil" on our roads..

For example, they used to quote a statistic on a television ad saying that young male drivers were responsible for "50% of all accidents" this sounds pretty terrible when taken in this context as young drivers only represent 10% of the driving population. The bit they conveniently left out was " of all the accidents they are involved in". So a 50/50 chance of being responsible for an accident.. not so bad... So don't believe all the Stero-types you hear.. As the motives for them aren't always in the interest of Safety...

85% of stats are made up on the spot. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

To the OP.
    Firstly:
    You won't find anyone here that will disagree that a considerable percentage of young male drivers have a tendency to drive beyond the limits of their skill and experience. They drive too fast for prevailing conditions and take unnecessary risks just to show off and prove their manliness. I don't need any statistics to tell me this, two dead friends is sadly enough information for me. However neither you, the insurance companies nor gardai are ever going to change this behaviour. Anyone with any basic knowledge of human behaviour can see that this is typical behaviour of young males in EVERY aspect of life - sport, drinking, working, fighting etc...not just in driving. Good luck trying to change evolutionary instincts.

Secondly:
    This forum is not called "Irresponsible young male drivers forum". This forum is for people of ALL ages and ALL genders who have an interest in modified cars. You'll have people here who have cars with only a "No Fear" sticker all the way to people with full blown impractical purpose built show cars. You'll have entirely aesthetic modifications and entirely performance modifications and cars in between. You said in one of your posts:
    Next young males do make up the majority of car accidents, and another point that those in modified cars are disproportionately represented in this group ie they are a higher risk

BTW these are ACTUAL facts, not just someones opinion

I would genuinely like to see these ACTUAL facts that show that "those in modified cars are disproportionately represented in this group ie they are a higher risk". I have never been quoted a higher premium due to having aesthetic modifications on my car. Never. Actual fact. I have, however, been quoted higher premiums due to performance modifications. Which is entirely understandable given that the speed and acceleration of the vehicle is increased. If these actuaries are as good as you say they are then surely they should be loading me for all this extra gear I have attached. So what is a modified car????? Going by your statistics I'm less likely to cause an accident if I don't drive a modified car? Obviously that's nonsense, because my skill level and experience will not change if I go and drive a bog standard Primera. Therefore it's not modified cars that are the problem, but the drivers. So banning modified cars will not reduce the accident rates. That's not statistics. Thats logic.

Thirdly:
    Your forum ettiquette leaves an awful lot to be desired. It is considered extremely rude to come on to a dedicated forum and start flaming, trolling, baiting, ranting and raving. If I was a mod on this forum I would ban you from it. It would be no great loss for either party. This site is for fans of modified cars. It's not a garbage can for people with chips on their shoulders. What would you think of me if I went onto a dedicated Alfa owners site and put up a post stating that ALL alfas are unreliable piles of depreciation on wheels? You would think I was a pr1ck. And rightly so. Consider therefore what is thought of you now on boards.ie by anyone who has read your initial and subsequent posts on this forum. Have some manners and people will accord you theirs.

Fourthly:
    You'll need to touch the accelerator a lot harder on your 2l 165bhp Alfa if you want to say "hello", never mind "goodbye", to my crappy modified car when it unleashes 250 lbft of torque on your REAL sports cars' a$$. You'll probably win the race though as I can't do more than 120kph on the motorway for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

RealCar wrote:
    in my 2l 165bhp alfa I could just touch the accelerator and say bye bye on the motorway

racing on public roads RealCar.... what would that make you ... tut tut?

ok enough, all your posts are based on these facts you have. Before you spit out any more, back them up or you'll be put down as a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

RealCar could you post links to where your getting these " facts " my car was modified 2 moths after i bought it i now have it 18 months i was driving for 2 years before that ive never been the cause of a axident or been in one . but ive had people drive into my parked modified car .

i would say that judging by the ammount of fatal axidents cause every week that the majourity of them could of been avoided if the roads were of better quality . the n52 is a death trap in the 3+ years ive been with my gf ive seen many fatal axidents on it .

do post up those links or tell me where i can go to find out this info cause ive always wanted to know how many modified cars are in axidents compaired to the standard one and the cause of the axidents . from what i rember there is no such detailed info as yet . but i do admit i havent looked for the info since june

ive also declared all my mods to my ins company
    body kit and 17" wheels and lowered suspension .
    my ins went up by a grand total of €00.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

Cerberus wrote:
    To the OP.
    Thirdly:
    Your forum ettiquette leaves an awful lot to be desired. It is considered extremely rude to come on to a dedicated forum and start flaming, trolling, baiting, ranting and raving. If I was a mod on this forum I would ban you from it. It would be no great loss for either party. This site is for fans of modified cars. It's not a garbage can for people with chips on their shoulders. What would you think of me if I went onto a dedicated Alfa owners site and put up a post stating that ALL alfas are unreliable piles of depreciation on wheels? You would think I was a pr1ck. And rightly so. Consider therefore what is thought of you now on boards.ie by anyone who has read your initial and subsequent posts on this forum. Have some manners and people will accord you theirs.

Fifthly:
    You are not a mod Ceberus, so shut your cakehole. Everyone is entitled to thier opinions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Mexicola wrote:
    Fifthly:
    You are not a mod Ceberus, so shut your cakehole. Everyone is entitled to thier opinions :mad:

you joined in dec 05 have 2 posts and for some reason think his post didnt show the truth .

muppet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

RealCar wrote:
    I never get this

Anyone else agree?

You started this thread saying how much it annoys you that these people go around in their micras with tinted windows and sticker's with loud exhausts and think that the car goes faster with them!!!... you then went on to call these people losers who should get themselves a real sports car!!!!

You then went on to say how you have one of these "real" sports cars and you KNOW that you can leave these "fools" smelling your exhaust fumes.. as you like to put it! And you don't need to prove it

So, keeping this in mind "REALCAR"!!!! what exactly are you trying to prove???

Advertisement