Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the story with Boy Racers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

OK this has become quite heated! I like the comment in cerberus's big post about "i cant do more than 120km/h on motorway for some reason" . I often find this limitation too, its maybe something to do with speed limits and a desire not to lose my licence.
    What is the story with boy racers indeed, IMO even some people coming on here saying negative things about "boy racers" are showing signs of being that way inclined themselves. A certain "2 litre 165 bhp" Alfa owner for instance, In fairness lads, you dont need to have a modified car or a "boy racer's car" to be a boy racer or to act like one, it's the "boy" (or girl) ,not the car that does the driving. All this talk of racing on the feckin road is stupid and just bravado along the lines of "yeah, mines bigger than yours.." . To "prove" you can drive fast or have a fast car (if you feel you need to , or just want to have fun driving in a controlled environment off the public roads) Go to a track day, go drag racing in england or get int motorsport like drifting or even autograss.
    PS well done 2 auld cork doll for makin a very good point just there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Cerberus wrote:
    To the OP.
    Firstly:
    You won't find anyone...

...0 lbft of torque on your REAL sports cars' a$$. You'll probably win the race though as I can't do more than 120kph on the motorway for some reason...

Great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

I think that calling the OP a troll is unfair...

His gripe is with the boy racers who drive beyond their abilities and seem to believe that superficial mods give them sportscar performance.. not (as most repliers seem to think) an attack on all car modifying kind!

some maturity is called for people!

:v: ...................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Integra

I'm personally not into modifying cars but whats wrong with them?? Some look very nice(a bit loud sometimes) and why would the drivers wanna race/crash a car that they spent hundreds or thousands of euro and many hours working on??

I see no problem with them once they do nobody any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrq1979

Yeah - mods in general are great for cars. I personally (and this is obviously my own opinion) go for modifications that are subtle in terms of visibility. I'd rather have a limited slip-diff or turbo charger put in a car rather than flashy neon lights and a bean can for an exhaust.

Guess it all comes down to what you're wanting to get out of modding. 1 guy saying that he has an Alfa and can beat all these young lads is hardly making a good argument when he's then saying that the young lads race around. Ok - if you don't like window tinting/neons etc then fair enough (I don't either). However, people can do whatever they want to do with their cars to be honest.

I think you'll get two main sets of modders - those who want to make their car better (0-60 performance, improving power-to-weight etc) and the "Pimp My Ride" crew. If it please the "Pimp My Ride" crew to get themselves some vinyls or tints, let them get on with it. If you have a faster car then you know that, you don't need to prove it. The people who are going to be doing all the visual mods are *probably* going to be younger people but then so what - leave them to it if they can't afford the insurance. Just don't go on about the "I've got a 2 litre Alfa" logic - if they want to drive around in a 65bhp car, let them get on with it. I'm judging by RealCar, you're probably older than 25 like me so let them just put their time in learning to drive and then they can get a "better" car when they've got some NCB. I just think you're mixing up the modding set of people and the "driving like lunatics" crew. Modders aren't all insane - all of the true modders I know won't drive like lunatics because they invest so much money in their "pride & joy"

I go with the people who talk about modders investing money in their cars - I personally wouldn't go flying round like a lunatic just because my car is fast. There really isn't any point. A lot of people like to tweak their cars because they want to invest money into them. I'm with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

His post was a troll because of the forum he chose to air his opinions, not because of his opinion itself. What response does he expect to get by creating a thread in a forum that villifies the majority of the users of that forum? If he went on to the gay/lesbian forum and said "What the fock is the story with all these focking gays going around the place being focking gay and stuff, yadayadayada..." he would be banned from boards before the thread could be locked.
    He is as entitled to his opinion as anyone but I have no time for these "My mate Dave works in an insurance company.." stories. Everyone has a mate called Dave, and he always knows something we don't...
    Anyways, this thread is serving no purpose what so ever except as a tenderbox for a flame fest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mrq1979

You know Dave too then Cerb? I know him as well.

Agree with you... probably best we leave the flamefest - strangely I was going to put down the same thing about gay/lesbian posts... Bit strange choosing a forum on modding to diss modders... :S

Anyway - hope everyone has a good New Year!

Doc_Savage wrote:
    I think that calling the OP a troll is unfair...

His gripe is with the boy racers who drive beyond their abilities and seem to believe that superficial mods give them sportscar performance.. not (as most repliers seem to think) an attack on all car modifying kind!

some maturity is called for people!

:v: ...................

It's his (the OP's) "my alfa could beat you....blah blah..." attitude to it that's the problem. Even if he was only trying to give out about dangerous driving or "boy racers", the kind of stupid childish bravado makes him just as bad. You cant be all "holier than thou" when at the same time you're talking about how fast your own car is and how you could wave bye bye to so and so's car blah blah...

Con_316 wrote:
    It's his (the OP's) "my alfa could beat you....blah blah..." attitude to it that's the problem. Even if he was only trying to give out about dangerous driving or "boy racers", the kind of stupid childish bravado makes him just as bad. You cant be all "holier than thou" when at the same time you're talking about how fast your own car is and how you could wave bye bye to so and so's car blah blah...

He merely stated the fact that he "COULD" out perform most of the boy racers!
    You make out like he drives around like a vigilante dragracing them to show them up in a stock Alfa!

You've failed to understand my point!

The OP gripes about tarted up small cars going too fast!

(This is just a point of information: on the autobahns in germany where there is no upper limit on speed you can still get pulled over for speeding. the fuzz's opinion of what is an unsafe speed is based on your particular car. Someone doing 220Kph in a micra is gonna get pulled. However someone doing 280Kph in a porsche 911 probably wouldnt get touched.)

The OP's sentiments are similar but obviously on a lower scale!

Do you honestly believe that a small city car designed for traffic should be driven excessively and nobody (like the OP) bat an eyelid?:confused:

Doc_Savage wrote:
    He merely stated the fact that he "COULD" out perform most of the boy racers!
    You make out like he drives around like a vigilante dragracing them to show them up in a stock Alfa!

You've failed to understand my point!

The OP gripes about tarted up small cars going too fast!

(This is just a point of information: on the autobahns in germany where there is no upper limit on speed you can still get pulled over for speeding. the fuzz's opinion of what is an unsafe speed is based on your particular car. Someone doing 220Kph in a micra is gonna get pulled. However someone doing 280Kph in a porsche 911 probably wouldnt get touched.)

The OP's sentiments are similar but obviously on a lower scale!

Do you honestly believe that a small city car designed for traffic should be driven excessively and nobody (like the OP) bat an eyelid?:confused:

The cops opinion of safe speed... blah blah blah... What kind of sh*t are you talking here? doing 280 in any car you'd be absolutely boll*cks'ed if seen doing that here (which is where we were talking about) porsche or not. And for all your smartness you obviously forgot that a micra is never going to manage 220k's which is 137.5mph!
    I must correct you on the above quote that you can get done for speeding on the german autobahns, You cant, you get pulled for "driving irresponsibly" that's when they think you're going to fast to be safe in your car. The speed is just in relation to the level of ability/ quality of the car, it's not the main issue it's just the easiest way to decide if you're a risk or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Doc_Savage wrote:

i call those people guards / driving testers / judges

con i think you took doc up wrong

elexes wrote:
    i call those people guards / driving testers / judges

con i think you took doc up wrong

I dunno, ah well. I just hate when people talk in a really flippant manner about stupid behaviour on the roads. Maybe the guy with the alfa was just thinking about being able to "Beat " the guys he was talking about in his "165 HP alfa" but it's the bravado displayed by those kind of thoughts which illustrate a deeper problem of bad, dangerous attitudes in many people and a deep seeded and rather nasty culture of oneupmanship (Stupid colloquial expressions and their not being designed to be written down)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

id just like somone to explain to me the difference between a boy racer / car lover / modder

and what one clarkson actually falls into

• Registered Users Posts: 10 disposition

Well when you were young, I wonder if you drove your alfa?...
    I think that the 1l cars should 'race' with similar 1l.

But then again, a 1l yaris and a 1.5 yaris look the same from the outside, but, different on the inside obviously.

I drive a Jap imported 1l Vitz (Yaris) and it has a full body kit, which I didn't buy here but it was all 'put on' in Japan, all Toyota manufactured and looks sweet. I have it not for racing but for everyday driving. I just find that my Vitz looks much nicer with its bodykit than any other Yaris with the ugly grey/black bumpers.

So, racing is racing. On the same note I can say, why not save up money and get something decent, like a Skyline BNR34?...After all Alfa is hardly a decent racing car... And just because it has 2l, hah, so what, our Gaia leaves every car behind, and it's a 'family car'...

Just disagreeing on certain aspects...

One thing that I definitely agree on is the fact that many kids cant drive nowadays, this buggs me big time as well. But sure, what can we do?...Patience, man, patience...

would anyone agree that the high cost of a car for young people contributes to a slower learning process for young drivers?

if it was cheap and accessable then you'd have the parent teaching the kid to drive in a safe and predictable environment!

What seems to happen to some drivers is they save up for ages for their car, tax, insurance and then jump in the car a bit too excited without getting the proper experience passed down to them and approach driving with the wrong attitude?

Does this contribute to the boy racer sub-culture of modders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dead

i hate the fact that they give car modding a bad name . sure you could get a great power to weight ratio but they dont. i have drag race before and well gtstarlet is the best car the have :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Why not let boys be boys anymore. They're being demonised these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gavin.keogh

I am for and against Mod cars. i drive a mod car (2L Turbo) and I'm 23. My insurance is 3000 a year but i work hard and enjoy my car i have no points and don't race. In my area in the first month of having my present car I was pulled over 8 or 9 times by the garda sneak up-on-ya. I always acted in a polite mannor, thanked them for their time, and drove off. now they just wave me through.

Mod micras. although i hate them, its better than the guys spending the money on drugs. although those with low powered mod cars sometimes think they have something to prove at a set of traffic lights when they pull up beside my car.

The worst and I really mean the worst are male 30-45 range rover, Passat TDI etc WITH the kids in the back who will drive at 80 KPH maybe 60KPH and when u have a safe point to over take, they drop a gear and floor it as ur trying to pass. They are the ones who cause accidents. And if u do pass them, they will ride ur bumper just to prove a point.

cars are in a sence a weapon, they car kill people. when u get behind the wheel, u are taking the lives of everyone on the road in ur hands. That is fact. The best mod i bought for my car has been EBC breaks. It makes my car stop faster, something most boy racers don't think of.

now lets see what kind of responce i get gav.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

RealCar wrote:
    I never get this

All these guys who buy crappy micras etc with 1l engines, then think that if they stick a loud exhaust on it, some allows, big Micra stickers and some tints that then they have a happening car which is fast!

I feel sorry for these losers. Why not save up for a car that actually is half decent

And why do they always accelerate as fast as they can and drive like loonies!

I find it sad tho coz in my 2l 165bhp alfa I could just touch the accelerator and say bye bye on the motorway

Why do they feel they need to drive like that? I think its an inferiority complex, they kno they cant afford the insurane on a REAL sports car so just mod a cheap car and drive like ****

I dont need to take off first at the lights coz I KNOW I have a decent car and that I can leave these fools smellin my exhaust fumes, I dont need to prove it

Anyone else agree?

I couldn't agree more. I have a full licence for less than a year, and an insurance on a REAL sports car would be diabolical..

I would NEVER be seen driving in a micra or 1L car with a crappy exhaust or something which makes it louder. I looked at my finance and found a car that is sporty, but definately not a boy racer car. Any noise it makes is from the engine and exhaust that came with it. I don't need the whole town to know that I am coming just because I have a massive tractor noise coming out of my car :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gavin.keogh

I don't need the whole town to know that I am coming just because I have a massive tractor noise coming out of my car :rolleyes:

Agreed, my car has some noise coming out of it but some most "skanger me bangor" micras make more noise!

• Advertisement
Advertisement