Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League Cup Quarter Finals

• 20-12-2005 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight sees Birmingham play Man United at St. Andrew's and Wigan play Bolton at the JJB.
    Alex Ferguson is taking the competition a bit more seriously this season, this is how they line up tonight:

Howard
    Neville
    Brown
    Silvestre
    Richardson
    Ronaldo
    Fletcher
    O' Shea
    Park
    Rossi
    Saha

I can't help wonder how the team will look though;

Howard
    Neville
    Brown----Silvestre
    O' Shea--
    Ronaldo
    Fletcher
    Park
    Richardson--
    Rossi
    Saha

Howard
    Neville
    Brown
    Silvestre
    Richardson
    Ronaldo----Fletcher
    O' Shea
    Park

Rossi
    Saha

I'd say it's probably the latter, Park hasn't really had any central role yet for United. Strong enough line up considering the competition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah id say oshea in midfield.

looking forward to this, want to see more of saha, rossi and even park and richardson. dont often get to see them play 90 mins.

hopefully it will be a good game, united certainly have an attack minded team out.

rossi hits the bar inside 4 mins. bright start from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

United all over Birmingham, Park is playing on the left, O'Shea in central midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

hope to see rossi getting a full 90 under his belt. As saha and richardon

birmingham back in it now. sloppy game, both teams a bit wasteful so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Rossi was unlucky, a cleaner strike and it would have been a goal. Other than that, he's been bright to everything, his control has been superb. Seems completely comfortable.
    Saha missed a sitter, especially given how good he is in the air. There's a lot of pace in the United side; Saha, Rossi, Park, Ronaldo, Richardson, it's gotten the better of Birmingham at times.
    Having said that, B'rum have looked dangerous at times. Jarosik playing as a converted striker with Hesky have been physical, they've made some good chances...Hesky got one excellent save out of Howard.

Edit: Wigan are leading Bolton 2-0 so far, not sure who the scorers are though.

Roberts got both Wigan goals.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Roberts got both Wigan goals.
    Thanks for the update. Wigan are in great form in the League Cup, with mostly fringe players.

2-0 United, Saha and Park.

3-0, Saha again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Nice to see Saha back and scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Things can only get better for Bruce and Brummy.

Nice to see Saha back and scoring.

Not if you're a Birmingham fan! :D

3-1, Jarosik.

Hehe, Jarosik and Park scored... Jarosik Park anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:
    Things can only get better for Bruce and Brummy.

Tonight, or in the coming weeks and months?

Monday, 26 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Tottenham v Birmingham

Wednesday, 28 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Birmingham v Man Utd

Saturday, 31 December 2005
    Barclays Premiership
    Chelsea v Birmingham

Monday, 02 January 2006
    Barclays Premiership
    Birmingham v Wigan

Saturday, 07 January 2006
    FA Cup
    Torquay v Birmingham

Saturday, 14 January 2006
    Barclays Premiership
    Charlton v Birmingham

Saturday, 21 January 2006
    Barclays Premiership
    Birmingham v Portsmouth

Tuesday, 31 January 2006
    Barclays Premiership
    Liverpool v Birmingham

Of those, only Pompey and Torquay look wannable. What odds on Brum scraping for survival by the end of January, out of the Cup, and managerless?

3 terrific goals from United. Birmingham probably deserved their goal, and Jarosik always looked threatening.
    The move for the first goal was sublime. Then Park executed an absolute rocket, topped again by Saha for the third. Delighted to see Saha score and play so well.
    I was disappointed to see Rossi taken off at half-time, he had a very good first half. Rooney by his standards had a pretty quiet game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Of those, only Pompey and Torquay look wannable. What odds on Brum scraping for survival by the end of January, out of the Cup, and managerless?

Very long odds, if the interview on fivelive with David Gold is anything to go by. He was very happy with Bruce, just cursing the clubs luck with injury.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Very long odds, if the interview on fivelive with David Gold is anything to go by. He was very happy with Bruce, just cursing the clubs luck with injury.

Mike.

The dreaded vote of confidence?

;)

The dreaded vote of confidence?

;)

Bruce brought that club to the Premiership and I imagine Gold thinks that, if they were relegated, he'd be the man to bring them back again.

Lemlin wrote:
    Bruce brought that club to the Premiership and I imagine Gold thinks that, if they were relegated, he'd be the man to bring them back again.

Brave man, and he's got a lot more loyalty and integrity than 99% of club owners if its the case. IF.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    Yep, but chairmen can be uncompromisingly fickle these days. They have done well, they came on leaps and bounds in their second season, narrowingly missing out on Europe, but last season was pretty mediocre for them, and this season is threatening to be more than that.
    Gold in his interview today said that any money for Bruce to spend in january would have to be from the his and David Sullivan's pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Problem with Birmingham was they spent a absolute fortune when in the now called Championship and still couldnt get into the PL, how many managers did they have before they got Bruce? I don't see them sacking him. WIll give him one season to get them back in if they drop out and then he would be sacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

were definitly final bound were gonna try win it now come on united

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

chiller wrote:
    were definitly final bound were gonna try win it now come on united

There is nothing definate in footie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was very disappointed in Fergie last night to be honest.

I thought it was outragous that Slyvestre, Gary Neville, and Park were playing.
    Saha and Ronaldo and Brown are all young players, and also coming back from injury or inconsistant form.

But Bardsley and Pique could have played, and Lee Martin or Blakes could have been brought in for Parks position. Or Richardson could have played there, and Bardsely could have taken his spot. Furthermore it was disappointing to see Rooney come on for Rossi, as I felt Rossi had a goal in him, and it woulda been great to see him score.

I couldn't care less about this cup, winning it will be nice, but only if the kiddies win it, not the grown ups.

But it is fantastic to see Saha scoring.
    That last goal made me remember how excited I was when we initally signed him, and a first tough, and what a second touch too.

p.s.
    Interesting to see O'Shea again in midfield. You think Fergie is trying to pull a Roy Keane here? Start him off in fullback, move him around alittle, and when the time is right, slam him into DMC for life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    .s.
    Interesting to see O'Shea again in midfield. You think Fergie is trying to pull a Roy Keane here? Start him off in fullback, move him around alittle, and when the time is right, slam him into DMC for life?
    Who played the more deaper, O'Shea or Fletcher? Apparantly he played well at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

O'shea played deeper but was definally given liecence to go forward.

Fletcher was more the Scholes of the pair, but they were both playing as central midfielders, neither focusing totally on either, 'proper' central midfielders.

Fletcher had a great game at the weekend, and played well yesterday too, knocking in 5 quality crosses in the game.
    He however did loose possesion once or twice, and was terrible in challenging for headers. However as always he broke up Brum's attack, so I was happy.

Blackburn are supposed to be missing Morten Gamst tonight, knee and heel problems. Hopefully Doncaster can put up a good show against Arsenal.

Doncaster one up, McIndhoe.

MGP starts for Blackburn but still no Bellers. Kuqi and Pest up front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

This is NOT funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Lemlin wrote:
    Doncaster one up, McIndhoe.

He should never have scored from that angle, It will be a bit of a test for the Arsenal youngsters now.
    Pacifico wrote:
    This is NOT funny :D

Oh yes it is.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cygan on top form again :mad:

Why the **** is Cygan playing? Have we no left backs at all?!

I've heard people stating what a class act Lupoli will be on this board before but, if he wants to be a top player, he can leave tackles like that one on Ravenhill at home.

Doncaster doing quite well, its going to be a good second half. Lupoli isn't playing very well at all.

• Advertisement

Wow fantastic double save from Almunia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Come on Donny!

Watching Cygan, I think Arsenal would be glad to have Josh or Traore at left back. He's diabolical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lemlin your not wrong there. Cygan is the biggest load of p1ss since the days of Ian Selley, Glenn Helder and Igor Stepanovs to wear the jersey. His jersey should be burned after this one, even if he does manage to score a hat trick from here on in.

Woooo!!!!!!!!!

Shoot from outside the box more often please!

• Advertisement

Thank god for Quincy..

anybody know how vanPersie was injured, and if it looks serious or not. We could really do without it, especially with some reports about Henry's fitness going to be a problem over the christmas.

Unlucky for Thornton IMO. He's been superb for Doncaster tonight. The commentary reckoned he started slowly but he has shadowed Gilberto everywhere tonight, and seems to be trying to break any attack Arsenal make. He had a great shot too and gave a good through ball to McIndoe a few minutes ago.

Roddy23 wrote:
    anybody know how vanPersie was injured, and if it looks serious or not. We could really do without it, especially with some reports about Henry's fitness going to be a problem over the christmas.

He was running through, one of the Doncaster players stepped on the ball and Van Persie followed through and injured himself. He came back on but limped off soon after.

Think its just a precaution more than anything. The young fella who came on for him, Bendtner, has done well.

Dickov scored, Blackburn one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Go on the Paul Dickov! :)

Go on Doncaster! 2-1, 2-1, 2-1, 2-1!!!!!!!!

ahhhhh, I DON't BELIEVE IT. McIndoe again in on the act, with the assist. The nightmare continues...

Blackburn go through to join United and Wigan. Hopefully Doncaster to the next round as well. No offence to Arsenal fans because I like Arsenal as a club but it'd be tremendous to see Doncaster win tonight.

I'll tell ye what would be tremendous. if they went onto win the whole competition, but there is still 15mins left in this match, so come on Arsenal

• Advertisement
Advertisement