Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ther perfect 9 dart finish

Options
  • 20-12-2005 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Has any one ever done it ,obviously not practicable in a match ,I was at a question and answer session with bobby george and he said he managed 8 darts but missed the last bull ,the reason he calls it the perfect 9 dart finish is that there is no possibility of a dart being deflected

T20 , T19 , Bull
    T20 , T19 , Bull
    T20 , T19 , Bull

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I personally have never heard of anyone do it or have never seen anybody even attempt it. Would be some leg of darts if someone managed to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

There's one for Taylor to try!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

im pretty sure it happened in the final at the lakeside a few years ago.
    cant for the life of me remeber who it was.to make it more special he did it to win the final..ill google and see if i can find it

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_dart_finish

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The only 9 darter in the Lakeside was by the American Paul Lim against an Irishman...he did it the traditional, 180, 180, 141.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

walshb wrote:
    The only 9 darter in the Lakeside was by the American Paul Lim against an Irishman...he did it the traditional, 180, 180, 141.........
    The Irishman was Jack McKenna from Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 datsright1

im pretty sure it happened in the final at the lakeside a few years ago.
    cant for the life of me remeber who it was.to make it more special he did it to win the final..ill google and see if i can find it

edit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_dart_finish

Not a nine-darter but Ted Hankey finished the last leg of the 2000 BDO World final with a 170 checkout.
    Won it 6-0 I think - and what a way to finish it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Didn't Shaun "9 dart" Greatbatch hit one in a big event on tv?

hence why they call him 9 dart?

ntlbell wrote:
    Didn't Shaun "9 dart" Greatbatch hit one in a big event on tv?

hence why they call him 9 dart?

He hit a 9 darter in the 2002 Dutch Open (the first to be seen "live" on tv apparently).

Not sure if this is where his nickname originated from or whether it was because he had hit them before in tournaments (obviously not televised).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I think John Lowe did it a few years back and earned a tidy sum for doing so.

smashey wrote:
    I think John Lowe did it a few years back and earned a tidy sum for doing so.

Yeah - wasn't he the first to do it on tv (not in the world champs obviously) and he got a 6 figure sum for doing it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

You can view it, the Lim 9-darter, here http://pluto.spaceports.com/~mot/darts/dartsvid.htm

You will need Realplayer for it, the quality ain't the best but it's well worth a look for the commentary & athmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

datsright1 wrote:
    Yeah - wasn't he the first to do it on tv (not in the world champs obviously) and he got a 6 figure sum for doing it I think.

yeah was the first on tv, not too sure about the money though...that was a good while back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Trilla wrote:
    yeah was the first on tv, not too sure about the money though...that was a good while back

Was over £100k if I remember correctly.

John Lowe (first ever televised)
    Shaun Greatbatch
    Paul Lim (Only ever in World Championships)
    Phil Taylor (Only player to do it more than once - has done it 3 times)

They have all hit 9 darters in major tournaments before.

[URL=rtsp://play.rp.leeds.servecast.net/broadcast/*/encoder/sky/leeds/leeds-link7253.rm]9 DART FINISH WIKIPEDIA ARTICLE[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scotsmurf

John Lowe did it in December 1984, I remember watching it with my dad , on World of Sport on a Saturday afternoon, and i think he got 100k for his trouble.180, 180, then 141, but t19 first, then t16 d18.He always said that 7 t20s in a row was pushing your luck!
    Nicky Virachkul, an American, had almost done it the year before at the Worlds when it was at Jollees in Stoke, but missed the double.He got it with the tenth dart though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 scotsmurf

I've just scrolled down the posts , and seen the video of John Lowes match.
    Isn't it funny the tricks your memory plays, I'd have sworn that the finish was t19, t16, d18. What a game though.He went on to beat Deller in that match, but I think he was beaten in the final .....................but what do I know??

Advertisement